Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Just be glad you don't have a Turbo engine! IMS Failure...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

The engine in the video is from a 997tt so it wasn't fixed and indeed it's surprising that they didn't;(
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
The engine in the video is from a 997tt so it wasn't fixed and indeed it's surprising that they didn't;(
Interesting. Thanks for the info!

So for a 996tt, would you recommend staying with the stock dual mass flywheel, or would a OE RS flywheel be acceptable?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If you go with a LWFW on a turbo, you have to bypass the hydraulic booster off the power steering and go with a GT3 clutch slave cylinder. I've driven turbos with the stock clutch hydraulics and LWFW and it really sucks. Sure, you can get used to it, but the pedal feel is awful.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is why I sold my 99 C2.....ims rattlecan ....
too bad turbo motor....
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Serge944
If you go with a LWFW on a turbo, you have to bypass the hydraulic booster off the power steering and go with a GT3 clutch slave cylinder. I've driven turbos with the stock clutch hydraulics and LWFW and it really sucks. Sure, you can get used to it, but the pedal feel is awful.
Totally agree. I _never_ ever do LWF's on a 996/997TT. The hydraulic assist is not only utter garbage (it fails after a few years) but the feel is dreadful enough with adding a LWF and some other crazy clutch
Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this problem exist on older aircooled turbo engines as the 993 turbo? Or is it something that just concerns the 996 and 997 turbo owners. First time I heard of it. It seems like a unusual problem, so I would not loose any sleep over it if I owned a 996 or 997 turbo or even the 993 turbo that I own.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We don't just build GT3 engines here... but this is seriously the stuff that keeps James awake at night! If any of you guys also have either a 996 or 997 GT1 based Twin Turbo and are experiencing more engine vibration/noise than you'd think was normal we've unfortunately seen our fair share of this nasty symptom. It's not the same IMS failure you here/read about on the M96/97 engines (that is more common too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6UF5qEW0iE&feature=plcp

How many degrees of play in that crank shaft?!?! At first you won't even get any check engine lights/codes either. This type of set up is in all the 996/997TT GT1 engines but luckily NOT I repeat NOT in our GT3s- phew. One has to wonder why... The only other thing I can say is of the turbo engines we've seen with this failure there seems to be a correlation of a light weight flywheel into play as well which _could_ be exacerbate the problem due to additional transmitted vibration.

To check for this if you're worried you can rotate the crank shaft back and forth and it it feels loose at all then the next step is to remove the driver's side upper cam cover and observe the relation between the crank shaft movement and the cam shaft movement. Obviously you want to nip this in the bud before it gets bad and leads to a total catastrophic failure.

The noise is most noticeable at idle and when gently increasing the revs to 2000 and then releasing the throttle pedal. It's kind of frustrating that the Turbos don't have the same design as the GT3 but there you have it (or hopefully not!).
From what I've read, the Turbo engine has less IMS and RMS issues over the non-turbo version.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:42 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Interesting post, glad I found it
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver

Hmmm I think. Here me out; most Porsche owners lug their motor. Which is incredibly bad for the crank on a flat 6 motor, and having a lwfw makes it even worse. I was told by my good friend who owns an older 911, that always keep the RPM's above 3,000 when the engine is warm, always- since before i acquired my car 6 + years ago, and he let me drive his car. I read in the 996 T manual that Porsche states the same. I HIGHLY doubt 95% of the owners out there do this ( this includes GT2's /GT3's) . Specially the Turbo owners, as lets face it, most don't drive a Porsche properly IMO, which looks to be more prone.
This is not true. Below 3000rpm is lugging now? Get right out of town.

The manual, I can guarantee does not say that.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just wanted to re-iterate for those of you with turbos; I wouldn't get overly concerned by this and let me again re-state... it's a rare issue but certainly a strange and avoidable one I feel. Especially by the time the 997TT came around Porsche already had the GT3 set up figured out. I think with more miles and as I was saying in the original post, with a LWF, it seems to have accelerated the issue more. Has this happened lot's? Not really... It's just avoidable like the coolant pipe issue. I put it out there for people who are building their engines (modifications or not) to just go basically dot a couple more i's and cross a few t's while they're in there. A bone stock TT with a stock dual mass flywheel I would imagine it being rare but not unheard of. I've seen only 8 TT's here with that problem over the years. I know EVOMS builds a lot more TT motors than we do and they've seen more than us. If you search on the forums though you'll see that there are a few others who have suffered from this failure in the past. The good thing is you can hear it and address it before it gets too bad as well.

Mezger engine is my favorite of all time. No doubt. It's an amazing mixture of tried and tested parts. Are there things that have been overlooked due to cost or neglect? Sure. Could it be better? Sure.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:35 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I started a frenzy on the other side and it seems like some here....regardless thanks for the advice Alex... i will still not drive my car like a b***h, like some people... (I think the GT3 crowed is the only few whom are not afraid of beating the **** out of their cars on daily bases ) ....... no engine to worry when beating the **** out of the tesla when it gets here.. ..

Just wanted to re-iterate for those of you with turbos; I wouldn't get overly concerned by this and let me again re-state... it's a rare issue but certainly a strange and avoidable one I feel. Especially by the time the 997TT came around Porsche already had the GT3 set up figured out. I think with more miles and as I was saying in the original post, with a LWF, it seems to have accelerated the issue more. Has this happened lot's? Not really... It's just avoidable like the coolant pipe issue. I put it out there for people who are building their engines (modifications or not) to just go basically dot a couple more i's and cross a few t's while they're in there. A bone stock TT with a stock dual mass flywheel I would imagine it being rare but not unheard of. I've seen only 8 TT's here with that problem over the years. I know EVOMS builds a lot more TT motors than we do and they've seen more than us. If you search on the forums though you'll see that there are a few others who have suffered from this failure in the past. The good thing is you can hear it and address it before it gets too bad as well.

Mezger engine is my favorite of all time. No doubt. It's an amazing mixture of tried and tested parts. Are there things that have been overlooked due to cost or neglect? Sure. Could it be better? Sure.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:48 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I think the GT3 crowed is the only few whom are not afraid of beating the **** out of their cars on daily basis
I'm now at five years with my GT3 and it drives better the harder I push it. When I think I'm beating the **** to of it, the car just laughs at me and says "Really? Is this all you've got? Amateur!"
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I'm now at five years with my GT3 and it drives better the harder I push it. When I think I'm beating the **** to of it, the car just laughs at me and says "Really? Is this all you've got? Amateur!"
theirs some turbo owners who that.. but im afraid the purity lies with gt3/gt2 owners..
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 AM
ballbearingturbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of sound are we suppose to be hearing if there is an issue? I know its hard to describe im sure but if you can try your best to do so. Thanks..

Quick Reply: Just be glad you don't have a Turbo engine! IMS Failure...