Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Roll call: Watkins Glen Aug 24-26 PCA Northeast DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Paul's rear brake pad - with PCCB's !!!! geezus.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:27 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What happened to Grady's brake puck? Doesn't he have the retaining clips?
!
Pad was coming apart and on inspection by Clarke, the outside front right caliper rear puck was broken causing the issue - no to the retaining clips.

I stripped the top rear bolt while changing the rear pads Saturday night - it got to around 40ft#s of tq on the tightening and then went soft - so my Sunday wasn't going to happen. I donated a puck to Grady. Grady saved my Saturday by lending me a set of rear 315 R6s when I had a tire coming apart.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Great picture Randy will love it.

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Pad was coming apart and on inspection by Clarke, the outside front right caliper rear puck was broken causing the issue - no to the retaining clips.

I stripped the top rear bolt while changing the rear pads Saturday night - it got to around 40ft#s of tq on the tightening and then went soft - so my Sunday wasn't going to happen. I donated a puck to Grady. Grady saved my Saturday by lending me a set of rear 315 R6s when I had a tire coming apart.
Wow, how do you break a puck??

Exactly what happened to my bolt, I tried to drive it anyway and the onlything holding onthe caliper was the wheel. I ended up buying a new upright.
What's up with all these R6 coming apart lately??? Did it have a slash between the tire wall and the thread? Like the thread part wanted to come off?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Great picture Randy will love it.

Did it have a slash between the tire wall and the thread? Like the thread part wanted to come off?

yup

- about 2 inches long (running in the direction of tire rotation
- and just in from where the sidewall finishes and the tred begins
- there was plenty of tread left
- but you could just look down into the tire like someone needing stitches
- saw smaller version of it on Grady's new tires as well
- something is definitely wrong

I got very lucky and saw it before going out, Grady who I just met stepped up and volunteered his tires and then the Chicago team sold me a set of 4 session used tire which I had re-mounted for Grady.

You have to wonder if the pad wedging issue isn't related to breaking a puck as you would think that very uneven force would be required to break a puck
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

I think the broken pads on Grady's car is related to the missing half of a puck. the pads taper at the bottom creating a looser fit as they wear and Grady did not have the clips so the puck got loose and then broke and half of it fell out. then things got really loose and the pads shifted and got wedged in funny and cracked them in half.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea sounds like typical PCA but at least the people there made it better

Nice job on the 2:05. Sounds like its true what they say. VIR and WG times are very similar
Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

WG is still high on my list to go back to! We really only got one day and 4 seconds off our VIR time.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

I'm slow - only got a 2:1465 - but it was Solo DL verified - first time I used my new Solo DL - very useful and easy to use - just velcro'd it to the dash - it recognizes the track and starts recording automatically.

I bought the DL version in case I buy the camera for the automatic sync in the future - didn't need to use the ODB2 port as I was just timing but I hooked up the cable, hid the wire up above my feet and pushed the wire into the space between the center console dash and the steering wheel section. Some double sided Velcro tape stuck on the dash just above the front center air vents and then push the on button just before you head out for a session. Interesting fact is that even if the car is off, if the SOLO DL is connected to the ODB2 port it will wake up and drain the battery so I just unplugged the cable from the unit when the session is over. With double sided velcro you could bring it from car to car as an instructor very easily.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:43 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey you forgot to tell them what the rear view mirror was for........

That has to be the best joke I have heard in a while in a drivers meeting.......

Btw, we are going to make the big foam fingers for point bye trophys.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Do tell
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Being cheap and Scottish those still have pad material left so I thought they were good for one more session - Clarke said no and then proceeded to show me how to strip the wheel carrier with the caliper bolt - he views it that he saved me a $4000 rotor, I view it as there was $5 of pad material left.

Ordered caliper studs today
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Being cheap and Scottish those still have pad material left so I thought they were good for one more session - Clarke said no and then proceeded to show me how to strip the wheel carrier with the caliper bolt - he views it that he saved me a $4000 rotor, I view it as there was $5 of pad material left.

Ordered caliper studs today
I "told" you how to do it, so I wouldn't get blamed if I did it.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

watch this video only if you want to be completely bored and get pissed off like I did driving in this pathetic DE run by PCA-NE at WGI this past weekend. Watch these idiots that can't use mirrors in the "Advanced" run group hold me up over and over again and make me wait and wait and wait. Probably the worst group I have ever run with -- PCA-NE. I could never get in a groove and drive fast, I just felt sorry for these pathetic morons. check out idiot in blue cayman at around 3:40 - this was typical of the whole weekend. FWIW passing rule - "anywhere except the essess, t10 to t11 because people are slowing down to pit there and that would be dangerous (WTF?! isn't driving fast on a track dangerous?!) and no passing at any apex." But then they would say "but of course you do not have to give any passing signal that you are not comfortable giving." lol

Example: at the advanced drivers meeting on Sunday morning (day 3 of 3 day event) the head guy said he wants everyone to "tone it WAY down." And that he told the track workers that if they have any offs, including 2 wheels, and any passing without an obvious signal and a bunch of other reasons - that they would black flag you and that would be the end of your day and that he would not contest their black flag - as in no argument, no chance that maybe the flagger was wrong. Nope, you get a black flag for anything and your day is done. Can you imagine trying to enjoy yourself with this CRAP!!!!!

Grady is the other fast white RS in this video.

... and now Rad you cannot complain about my Harrys Lap Timer on the iPhone anymore.

VBOX video/data on recommendation of Grady. Grady had the VBOX dude at WGI this weekend so I had the guy install it for me as well. Unfortunately he did not have the data cable to get the info from the car (throttle, brake, tach, etc). Anyway, now I have "real" times. Funny, 2:05 was what Harry Lap Timer said last summer when I was at WGI...

Best time in the new-to-me SILVER RS was 2:05.42 during a ****ty session on older hoohoos. I am thinking 2:03.xx with fresh hoohoos and a clear track...and a good event run by a non-idiots. FYI - SILVER RS has suspension setup using aftermkt toe-links, Sharky center muffler by-pass and DAS Sport rear half roll bar, and harnesses. That is it. No other mods. And stock PCCB. R6 hoohoos on 18" BBS.

I was asked by the PCA-NE peeps. "Did you have fun?" -- sure I said I had fun, I always have fun with cool people (my friends, not him and his idiot group of PCA-NE morons) at the racetrack, especially WGI. He then said, "Well I am glad you had fun and hope you want to come back again next year." I said sure, I love WGI (ROTFLMAO - as if I would ever come to a PCA-NE event ever again - shoot me in the head!!!!).

I will take some credit for driving like a sissy with the coolant leak problem in my head (worried it would dump again on me thru the essess or bus stop and I would crash the car). Hated that feeling - I was never before nervous about a mechanical causing me to crash.

I get sick to me stomach watching this - I am going to go puke now.

Last edited by GT3DE; 08-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I forgot how cool WG is!
Thanks for posting.

Whith these point by's you never get into a rythm..

Supersolo and Dave Murry is where to go, followed by Chin passing everywhere with better drivers in the red group and black flags for slow point by's.

No camera behind you in Vbox? Could you put the one in the window behind you instead?
You did not swap gears from they white one yet? 5th and 6th are shorter right? Big difference.

Once you add all the chetar parts and fresh Hoosiers, you will do 2:03's.. Good driving..
Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Amusing video, and yeah some of those point bys were pitiful

Clarke, I see a big chunk of time there for you with some better gear selection in a couple of places...

Quick Reply: Roll call: Watkins Glen Aug 24-26 PCA Northeast DE