Will the 4.0 RS hold it's value.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,736 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Delta was close to $90k when I passed on my allocation, but that was a trade and 3.8 RS market was weaker than it is now.
no offense but u are including the loss of ur 3.8. that's not apple to apple. ur have to assume u own nothing and are today deciding which to buy. if u include loss and tax (we in CA pay tax on full amount not just price difference) then delta is way more than 80. perhaps even 100k.

if ur plan to trade one for another then no it's definitely not worth it. and I seriously doubt it will be worth it to trade to 991gt either, however fast and supreme it may be.

everyone u swap a car, u lose ur shirt. so much and so often we just sort of conveniently forget about it.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 AM
GYMGUY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that's the first I've seen of that. One I'm looking at 44k over. Carlsen 57k over.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

there are less than 200 cars. so u don't find many at MSRP. but they are there and when they show up they get bought right away.

iirc several months go there were two in RL (one was blk in TX) were at MSRP.

bk to price. my recent traction not including trade or tax was 60
my previous transaction swapping 38-40 inc tax and depn loss was about 110 maybe more.

there re many ways to Calc delta. and every result would show its not worh it IMO. go with ur heart not brain.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
no offense but u are including the loss of ur 3.8. that's not apple to apple. ur have to assume u own nothing and are today deciding which to buy. if u include loss and tax (we in CA pay tax on full amount not just price difference) then delta is way more than 80. perhaps even 100k.

if ur plan to trade one for another then no it's definitely not worth it. and I seriously doubt it will be worth it to trade to 991gt either, however fast and supreme it may be.

everyone u swap a car, u lose ur shirt. so much and so often we just sort of conveniently forget about it.
OP is trading up from 3.8, hence my response.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Care to wager on that?
Maybe I am wrong, let's see?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

OP is trading up from 3.8, hence my response.
ah I can't read in addition to cant type. u r right in this case
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Maybe I am wrong, let's see?
interesting. very poker face.
bluffing? possibly not.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM
tradervic
Instructor

I'll take 'em one by one

1. Depends on what you do with it. If you bubble wrap it and put it away, it'll hold it'll appreciate. If you track it and put huge miles on it, not so much but more so than most P cars.

2. Depends on what 40k means to you. But net net, most likely a mistake. Those dealers will have to come off those prices.

3. Not like a rock. 4.0 owners, for the most part, probably won't care about 991s. That's why we bought 4.0s Keep in mind, there are only 120ish in the US. I'd venture to guess that about 50 - 75% of those are in "pry it from my cold dead hands". At least #440 is

4. Opinion below

5. Depends again on mileage and use. My guess is in 2016, a 4.0 with 20k miles will prob be down about 25%. Pure WAG. (And hope!)

6. Car will go up in value if you bubble it and take the wrapper off in 2022 - 2037. So who cares? I'd peg a 2032 bubble wrapped 4.0 at 500k in 2032 While that may seem impressive, it's a CAGR of less than 5%

Opinion: If you buying this as an investment, you're wasting your time and money.
Is the performance of a 4.0 worth a 50% premium to a 3.8? Not in my opinion. In fact, in my opinion, hell no. Thankfully, those are not the reasons I bought. I bought because I think the 4.0 is a special car. And it's hard to put a price on owning a special car but it was a price I was willing to pay.

I saw the delta falling and my glimpse of the digital 991 scared me. I bet on the come. My opinion is, they won't make cars like the 997 GT3 series anymore. So I figured, go all-in and get the best one they have.

As mooty says, I thought with my heart, not with my brain...

Downside. If Porsche is somehow able to undigitalize the 991 GT series (which, given their engineering talent, I can't put that past them) or if the 991 GT has a 4.0L engine, one or both of those will severely impact the current 4.0. So, that's the bet.

Good luck with your path and decision.

Originally Posted by GYMGUY
Guys I know this is speculation at this point, but do you believe the 4.0 RS will hold it's value? Is paying 40k over a big financial mistake? Will it drop like a rock when the 991 RS comes out? What's everyone's opinion? Where do we think prices on these cars will be four years from now? Does anyone think they will go up in value, maybe even past the 40-50k over many people have paid? Can't wait to hear everyones thoughts.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Empire
Intermediate

Speaking of speculation, would it be fair to speculate the dealer is forcing you to buy the car you originally committed to?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tradervic
I'll take 'em one by one

1. Depends on what you do with it. If you bubble wrap it and put it away, it'll hold it'll appreciate. If you track it and put huge miles on it, not so much but more so than most P cars.

2. Depends on what 40k means to you. But net net, most likely a mistake. Those dealers will have to come off those prices.

3. Not like a rock. 4.0 owners, for the most part, probably won't care about 991s. That's why we bought 4.0s Keep in mind, there are only 120ish in the US. I'd venture to guess that about 50 - 75% of those are in "pry it from my cold dead hands". At least #440 is

4. Opinion below

5. Depends again on mileage and use. My guess is in 2016, a 4.0 with 20k miles will prob be down about 25%. Pure WAG. (And hope!)

6. Car will go up in value if you bubble it and take the wrapper off in 2022 - 2037. So who cares? I'd peg a 2032 bubble wrapped 4.0 at 500k in 2032 While that may seem impressive, it's a CAGR of less than 5%

Opinion: If you buying this as an investment, you're wasting your time and money.
Is the performance of a 4.0 worth a 50% premium to a 3.8? Not in my opinion. In fact, in my opinion, hell no. Thankfully, those are not the reasons I bought. I bought because I think the 4.0 is a special car. And it's hard to put a price on owning a special car but it was a price I was willing to pay.

I saw the delta falling and my glimpse of the digital 991 scared me. I bet on the come. My opinion is, they won't make cars like the 997 GT3 series anymore. So I figured, go all-in and get the best one they have.

As mooty says, I thought with my heart, not with my brain...

Downside. If Porsche is somehow able to undigitalize the 991 GT series (which, given their engineering talent, I can't put that past them) or if the 991 GT has a 4.0L engine, one or both of those will severely impact the current 4.0. So, that's the bet.

Good luck with your path and decision.
991 RS will have a 4L engine and 500+ hp. Heard it from 4 sources on 3 continents now, all good ones.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

The 4.0 is the best 911 ever made, with a Metzger engine. Only 600 engines like it in existence in production cars, a few more in RSRs. That will not change. There will be faster Porsches, but not many will have the enduring appeal and pedigree of the 4.0.
I would not buy it as an investment at 40 over, but as a desirable car is obviously worth that much for some people who can afford just about any car.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:28 PM
DALLWA
Racer

GYMGUY, I thought you were buying a Riv Blue GT3RS?

If not, please PM me, I would like to take a serious look at it.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 PM
summit81
Intermediate

Original question -- will GT3 RS 4.0 hold its value?

I seriously doubt it, and by asking this question you probably cannot afford this car in the first place. If you want something that holds its value, buy farmland or gold or an oil field. Even expensive paintings are purchased because they hold their value. Cars like this are nothing more than toys, and the purpose of a GT3 RS is for track use, not for investment and not to keep up with the Jones'.

I asked a friend yesterday who owns a 2011 Carrera Turbo S and a 2012 Maserati, which one gets the most attention when he drives it on public roads, and he said the Maserati hands down. He said that nobody really notices the Turbo S, but the Maserati turns heads everywhere. On that note, only a very small portion of the population really appreciate track vehicles like the GT3 RS, and so your buying population is restricted to that small group -- basically the people here on Rennlist. The only buyers from this group who do not mind paying over sticker are those who feel that money is no object. They have extra money to blow, and because the supply is limited they do not mind spending whatever it takes to own one.

In summary, you should buy a GT3 RS because you enjoy driving one, and in particular because you love driving on the track. The absolute worst reason to buy one is as an investment. The second worst reason is to buy it as a status symbol.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how people adopt a 9A1 GT3. Performance wise, expect the next GT3 that will have a 9A1 based 4.0L (S 3.8l block with 3.6l crank) pushing at least 480 hp. If the next GT3 sales are strong, expect RS 4.0L values to drop.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

the truth is most DE guys just want the latest and greatest Porsche to show up in.....then there are a few die hards.

The average DE guy would be just as fast in a Carerra, they just cruise around the track.....get a t-shirt and have fun. Probably have no idea what motor is below their GT3......why the motor is special.....and why they need it

When 991 comes out the majority of the GT3 public will buy the latest and greatest and trade in old technology

Will it provide teh same driving experience.....maybe. Will it be faster, yes. Faster with more computers to help steer the car around teh track. Those of us in our old tech 3.8 / 4.0 cars will be lapped by the 991 GT3 guys.

Look at Rad, he has proved a computer game on wheels can make the average driver look super human

Quick Reply: Will the 4.0 RS hold it's value.......