Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Has this car been discussed ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has this car been discussed ?

This car has been there, I would say, over a year. Has anyone heard what the problem with the car is ? Dealership itself may not be too good of a place, but I'm surprised they haven't wholesaled the car by now if they can't sell it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item3a774ee94c

Jason
Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Did not realize this car has been for sale for so long.

I looked at this car about a month ago, before deciding to buy from a private party here in Houston (2007 / 10k miles / PCCB's / adaptive seats / no nav / bi-xenons / upgraded sound for $74K incl. a set of new P50 pads and a roll bar that is for sale now).
Sales guy at Global was a little too secretive about the car's Carfax, so presume it has seen repairs. Inside looks OK, and that is probably an over statement. Alcantara on the centerconsole looks roughed up, the shifter too. Hooked it up to the Durametric and no over-revs (at all), so that's a good thing.
FYI: I think this car can be had for less than $68.5K as that was the number they gave me without any haggling.
This seems like a typical case of "you get what you pay for", so have the body work checked out thoroughly and you may end up with a fabulous car after all.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
This car has been there, I would say, over a year. Has anyone heard what the problem with the car is ? Dealership itself may not be too good of a place, but I'm surprised they haven't wholesaled the car by now if they can't sell it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item3a774ee94c

Jason
The car looks fine. High-ish miles at 28,032 and modified -- recipe for low performance on the secondary market. The same car restored to stock wheels and brakes would present no "customer objections" so it would sell at fair market.

If it hasn't had the RMS, it will need it. It could need coolant lines, it could need a clutch and it probably needs a diff. For a track driver, it's $5K away from healthy before you find any "stories." Fair market on 28K mile car in good condition, just surveying the listings I see today and having a general feel for it (having owned and sold two 997.1 GT3's amongst others) I'd thumb-nail fair market around $60K. Sellers would see that as very low and buyers might add up those minor housekeeping expenses and say that, after tax, it's $70K to get this to the track for your first day and say that's a lot of money for a five year-old car. That makes it hard to bridge a deal when the two parties probably start far apart.

I like the red in the 997.1 GT3 but I imagine some buyers would question the red paint in the cabin, the "why?" Sport Chrono, the "cheap" detailing of gloss finish on the leather, the blued track rotors, the non-standard 19's and Bridgestone (?) tires ... all represent enough "information" for a buyer to look elsewhere in a large pool of available cars, especially with the more desirable 997.1 RS nearby in the $70's, it takes a low-mile, one-owner, private-sale direct from the owner to be appealing. In my humble.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Thanks for the first hand info. I've not spent alot of time considering the car, but I like the red GT3's as well, and it gets a look for that reason alone.
No overrev's is surprising, I really thought the DME was the cause of the length in inventory.
I'm sure every other potential buyer has considered the cost to get it to basic condition...and just passed.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

yeah I posted about it earlier this year. It's had at least one accident, if not two. They had it up initially with a carfax and then took it off. Very shady.

You can tell with the photo of the VIN sticker that it was taken off and put back on after a respray. someone else noticed this and pointed it out. additionally, they pointed out that the front end looks to have had a respray too.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:26 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it was wrecked twice, once into tire wall at GrandSport and once on the highway
Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackRain
I think it was wrecked twice, once into tire wall at GrandSport and once on the highway
Ooph -- that makes it a $40K track toy, assuming it's perfectly straight on a frame jig. Even then, you'd have to have an expert go over every nut and bolt -- accident repairs for a street car don't tend to meet expectations for someone at the track putting their foot on the brake at 160mph and wanting the car to behave itself through the next turn.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:42 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Ooph -- that makes it a $40K track toy, assuming it's perfectly straight on a frame jig. Even then, you'd have to have an expert go over every nut and bolt -- accident repairs for a street car don't tend to meet expectations for someone at the track putting their foot on the brake at 160mph and wanting the car to behave itself through the next turn.
Scary thought. A few cars I have called on this month have had paint work. One salesman told me there right rear had been painted on from a "grocery cart" incident...really?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pewter82
Scary thought. A few cars I have called on this month have had paint work. One salesman told me there right rear had been painted on from a "grocery cart" incident...really?
Classic "if you believe that, I have a bridge ..."

It's just appalling that Porsche sullies its brand with nincompoop sales staff.

I had intended to give Porsche money in 2011, to the tune of about a half million all up, but their sales staff convinced me I was making a mistake. This year, I've dropped only about $150K into the pity jar and held back at least $20K in up-sell they're missing.

Still the sales "force" did their very best to prevent me from even that crumb adding to the mounting loaves on the P&L of VW since the past administration took one of the most valuable brands the world has ever known and handed it to them on a platter.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 PM
pewter82
Drifting

I think we both have the same views.
But...Its a stretch for me to buy a 70-80K GT3. Someday I may have the opportunity and resources to drop $500K ! Good for you, you've earned it.

Cheers !
Old 07-21-2012, 07:43 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

A rebuild gt3 went for $50k recently
That is what it's worth

For 60k you have clean high mileage
For 70k you GET under 15k miles one one cars

Without picture of thé damage and Repair paperworl
It is risky even at 50k. Those are fast cars you don't want something fixed cheaply
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 AM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Steve,

You seem to know more about the car. Do you know who did the work?

JP

Quick Reply: Has this car been discussed ?