Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

In what way is a GT3's Transmission different than a 997?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
This all sounds very authoritative. However, check back on Porsche's original press release about the 'PDK'. It was lifted verbatim from that of Ricardo 2 days previously and VW the previous day. You could say that a Ricardo PR flack wrote the substantive parts of both VAG's and PAG's press releases. This ought to tell folk something (About the same time a US manufacturer also rehacked the same release).

Generalising, Japanese drivers are quite abusive of gearboxes, hence their manufacturers have developed pretty tough manual transmissions and have removed some of the slush from the automatics. It seems sensible to make use of this technology. On the other hand, many Germans understand far too much about how fragile gearboxes can be and to this day handle their transmissions with a level of care and consideration not encounted in many other places. This is good for Hansel und Gretel, but not so not for those whose sporting driving is limited to accelerating away from the lights at T-junctions. Hence the interest in Japanese transmissions.

I have driven, and tested the GT3 box inverted and installed in a mid engined configuration. With one caveat, I'd say it works pretty well. The problem, which is not entirely resolved owing to a shortage of demand, is the need to ensure that there is an extra series of oil pick-ups to maintain adequate lubrication when operated in this configuration.
R+C
I'm not sure I follow the point of the first two paragraphs. It almost sounds as if you think I was bagging on the Japanese and their products. Don't know if that's how you have mistakenly read my comments or not, but I don't think poorly of the Aisin products at all. The point of my comments was that Porsche has historically been very protective of their proprietary technologies and I just find interesting that they seem to have changed their perspective on such things and have partnered with Aisin on the 7MT instead of continuing to work with ZF.

As for flipping a GT3 gearbox and making it reliable, it is pretty straight forward. It requires about 12" of tubing to move the oil pump pick up and filter from the stock location to the other side of the box so that lubrication properly flows. And a little machine work to encourage flow between the cases, and other than moving the breather and drain, it's pretty much done. We did dozens of them when we were the OEM supplier for Mosler for the MT900.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
stupid expensive = same level as for 997.1 gt3 cars or even worse?
so it is still does not make sense to try to repair one, it is simpler to find a used one for a complete swap, price wise?
As in synchros for the 997 Aisin box cost about twice as much as GT3 synchros. At the same time they released the parts, they pretty much doubled the price of the crate gearbox overnight. It's typical Porsche. They don't release service parts for the gearboxes for 4-5 year after a new one comes out. They offer what I call "goodwill" pricing on replacement boxes during that window so anyone who needs one that isn't warranty doesn't get too pissed off. Then when they release the service parts, they take away the goodwill pricing and reduce the amount of inventory they hold of remanufactured gearboxes. They do the same thing with engines too.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts

Ultimately, the most satisfying automated manual transmissions (flappy paddles to most of us), are those with a single clutch. Many purist engineers find the double clutch offensive in that it is inherently wasteful and heavy - would Colin Chapman have tolerated one?
For track applications you have a point, but for a car that will also be driven on the street the dual clutch transmission is superior and, taking all driving conditions into account, more satisfying to drive. That's why manufacturers from Porsche to BMW to Ferrari are going that route.

As for Colin Chapman, having owned from new a real Chapman designed Lotus (1973 Europa Twin Cam Special) I can attest that his design philosophy of "simplify, then add lightness" had both advantages and disadvantages. That Chapman might not have tolerated a dual clutch transmission like PDK in a road car is not necessarily a bad sign....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-23-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
As in synchros for the 997 Aisin box cost about twice as much as GT3 synchros. At the same time they released the parts, they pretty much doubled the price of the crate gearbox overnight. It's typical Porsche. They don't release service parts for the gearboxes for 4-5 year after a new one comes out. They offer what I call "goodwill" pricing on replacement boxes during that window so anyone who needs one that isn't warranty doesn't get too pissed off. Then when they release the service parts, they take away the goodwill pricing and reduce the amount of inventory they hold of remanufactured gearboxes. They do the same thing with engines too.
so, if you have new info - how much exactly will a replacement aisin box cost compared to gt3 one now?
i am just getting a feeling that in a long run it may be cheaper to ditch both M96 and aisin from my car and put in older rebuilt 996/997.1 gt3 3.6l with a gearbox rather than try to rebuild M96/tranny. will see.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utkinpol
so, if you have new info - how much exactly will a replacement aisin box cost compared to gt3 one now?
i am just getting a feeling that in a long run it may be cheaper to ditch both M96 and aisin from my car and put in older rebuilt 996/997.1 gt3 3.6l with a gearbox rather than try to rebuild M96/tranny. will see.
I suggest you PM Mobonic and pick his brain on what he has been through recently on his 997 Carrera racecar. He'll tell you what it takes and what it costs to go down that road since he's 95% done with the transition.

As for the cost of a replacement boxes? A GT3 crate gearbox is still a fair bit more expensive than a 997 crate Aisin gearbox. How big the difference is I don't know without calling the dealer. But keep in mind, they won't take your Aisin core and give you back a GT3 Getrag crate gearbox. They only trade like cores for like replacements. That's what Mobonic had to do. He had to find a gearbox and engine on the open market because under no circumstances do you want to pay the core charge on top of the actual cost of the replacement unit.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.... The point of my comments was that Porsche has historically been very protective of their proprietary technologies and I just find interesting that they seem to have changed their perspective on such things and have partnered with Aisin on the 7MT instead of continuing to work with ZF.

As for flipping a GT3 gearbox and making it reliable, it is pretty straight forward. It requires about 12" of tubing to move the oil pump pick up and filter from the stock location to the other side of the box so that lubrication properly flows. And a little machine work to encourage flow between the cases, and other than moving the breather and drain, it's pretty much done. We did dozens of them when we were the OEM Porshe supplier for Mosler for the MT900.
What is PAG IP, VAG IP, Getrag, ZFFAG or Ricardo intellectual property is a moot point. I was pointing out that what many folk assume is PAG technology is often developed elsewhere. VAG is a huge supplier of technology to PAG. Very often tech contracts are covered by NDAs, which allow fairly boastful claims to be made which are difficult to refute.

As far as your method of modifying the gearbox is concerned, it has the merit of being very straightforward and elegant in design. However, endurance racing at the Nürburgring showed that rather more work was required, it was a shame because everything else was pretty fine, only the gearbox and rear suspension requiring additional development. If it had been up to me, I would have popped in a transverse unit from xtrac.

R+C
Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
For track applications you have a point, but for a car that will also be driven on the street the dual clutch transmission is superior and, taking all driving conditions into account, more satisfying to drive. That's why manufacturers from Porsche to BMW to Ferrari are going that route.

As for Colin Chapman, having owned from new a real Chapman designed Lotus (1973 Europa Twin Cam Special) I can attest that his design philosophy of "simplify, then add lightness" had both advantages and disadvantages. That Chapman might not have tolerated a dual clutch transmission like PDK in a road car is not necessarily a bad sign....
Well, I don'thave any difficulty with the Gallardo ebox, (and I do really really enjoy the beautifully weighted manual in the same car). But I don't have to endure daily commutes in cities without decent subway systems and when I do have to drive in a city I try and do it in a Smart car or similar. This means I pootle over to the nearest motorway/freeway/autobahn ramp whilst I warm up and get nav sorted etc and then go for it once I'm on the ramp. Also the Smart box is so bad (think the world's worst sequential) that anything else is blissful.

R+C
Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

^I love puttering around in my Smart car. Best city car I've owned so far. The scion Iq doesn't look bad on paper either with 2 rear seats in the back but damn where is the space for legs. Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 06:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

What is PAG IP, VAG IP, Getrag, ZFFAG or Ricardo intellectual property is a moot point. I was pointing out that what many folk assume is PAG technology is often developed elsewhere. VAG is a huge supplier of technology to PAG. Very often tech contracts are covered by NDAs, which allow fairly boastful claims to be made which are difficult to refute.

As far as your method of modifying the gearbox is concerned, it has the merit of being very straightforward and elegant in design. However, endurance racing at the Nürburgring showed that rather more work was required, it was a shame because everything else was pretty fine, only the gearbox and rear suspension requiring additional development. If it had been up to me, I would have popped in a transverse unit from xtrac.

R+C
Got it. Yeah, I understand how that works. Ricardo makes my ring and pinion sets. I proudly disclose that. They are also my intellectual property that they have developed on my behalf and are not supposed to sell to anyone else. So far to my knowledge they've never violated that understanding.

Do you mind telling me what the point of failure was on the inverted Nurburgring box? Was this the Alzen Cayman, or some other car? If I am prying just say so and I'll respect that you don't want to discuss it further.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:04 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One data point here. Tracked my 06 997s probably 20 times. Not one issue with the tranny or anything else. Road atl, barber, cmp, t-hill, laguna, button willow. Pretty hot places.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Do you mind telling me what the point of failure was on the inverted Nurburgring box? Was this the Alzen Cayman, or some other car? If I am prying just say so and I'll respect that you don't want to discuss it further.
To quote somebody or other 'we needed more pick-ups' (simplified translation, but a lot of very long words in the original).

It wasn't the Alzen one......

But I really really like driving the GT3 when its supercharged and dropped into the Cayman chassis on the street, possibly the best forced induction implementation I've encountered, from a purist pilot's viewpoint; not much lag at all.

Notice how I have avoided your question!

R+C
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

So, you're willing to say what you think the inherent problem was but not willing to say what part(s) it caused to break. Ok. So be it...
Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

So, you're willing to say what you think the inherent problem was but not willing to say what part(s) it caused to break. Ok. So be it...
Sorry, I think the team regards it as 'propriety information', they know what broke, and are holding this close to their chests in case they revive the project. As you know your way about this world, you will find the team in Aachen, alternatively the driver with the initials MS who was in the car at the time, rebuilds gearboxes for stress relief, he could discuss the specifics.

Failing either of those possibilities, Alois Ruf would probably expand further on the subject.

R+C
Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Rad... Is it the quality of the transmission in your cayman, or the fact that you "no lift shift" it around the track at 7k+rpm. I would tend to believe it's the latter. Something tells me the boys in germany didn't intend for you to row through the gears at WOT.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I think the team regards it as 'propriety information', they know what broke, and are holding this close to their chests in case they revive the project. As you know your way about this world, you will find the team in Aachen, alternatively the driver with the initials MS who was in the car at the time, rebuilds gearboxes for stress relief, he could discuss the specifics.

Failing either of those possibilities, Alois Ruf would probably expand further on the subject.

R+C
That's ok. I don't care enough to go digging. It was a simple curious question and a simple "the team consider those detail proprietary" would have been a more than adequate response...
Old 02-24-2020, 02:18 AM
jaredomin
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Your 997s is a pos. It is a glorified Boxster. It has more common parts with a Boxster and Cayman, than anything to do with a GT3.

GT3/GT2/RS share plenty of parts unique to them.

997, Boxster and Cayman share plenty of parts unique to them.
😂

Quick Reply: In what way is a GT3's Transmission different than a 997?