Toyo RS1 Slick

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
NJ-GT...Although Toyo claims RA1 and R888 is same compound...I spoke to the rep on this at length I think from the way it was explained to me that the outer rubber may be the same but but how it's attached to the carcus and how stiff the sidewall is has a lot to do with it.
Same rubber is same rubber, regardless of construction type and mold (which are different), 16HC and R888 are trash. So, current compound RA1 and trash again at 16HC. These new slicks, very likely could take 16HC (if they use the same rubber), and trash once again, longer lasting than other slicks, but slow and not long lasting.

Pirelli Trofeo R would make more sense, and you can drive on the streets. 16HC, grip similar to shaved Vintage spec RA1.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't see the point of this tire as a slick. There are several slicks that will last a long time and are a lot faster. There are DOT tires that are as fast or faster but may not last as long. With a couple of grooves in the tire, they may have been on to something though.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Same rubber is same rubber, regardless of construction type and mold (which are different), 16HC and R888 are trash. So, current compound RA1 and trash again at 16HC. These new slicks, very likely could take 16HC (if they use the same rubber), and trash once again, longer lasting than other slicks, but slow and not long lasting.

Pirelli Trofeo R would make more sense, and you can drive on the streets. 16HC, grip similar to shaved Vintage spec RA1.
Not arguing with you my friend...I agree.

Toyo rep..his name is Mark Schazenbacher (not sure of the spelling) told me back in mid 2010 that the RA1...older RA1...can last longer and he claimed the same GG rubber...because of the tread and overall tire construction and that if R888 is shaved it lasts as long as RA1 shaved...but when you leave the bigger tread block unshaved it HC's out quicker due to not disapating heat....also the stiffer R888 side wall Toyo used to get better steering response to satisfy customers works the tread more than the softer RA1 sidewall....not word from word but something like that is what I was understanding.

So that is what I've been trying to make sense of since I was told this back in mid 2010 by Toyo.

As far as Trofeo goes from the posts on this forum about them I'm understanding that they are a great sticky tire but with some odd wear characteristics and less life than other R-Comp's. Most get 2 track days and they are done.

So Rad...what is your opinion on a 997 based car using the Nitto NT01 245/40/18 and 315/30/18 sizing? The front to rear ration is off for a 997. Deputy Dog told me he has known 997 cars to use these just fine. I'm just worried about upsetting the ABS and PSM electronics in threshold braking, trail braking and is a fast corner. Opinions please!...thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
So Rad...what is your opinion on a 997 based car using the Nitto NT01 245/40/18 and 315/30/18 sizing? The front to rear ration is off for a 997. Deputy Dog told me he has known 997 cars to use these just fine. I'm just worried about upsetting the ABS and PSM electronics in threshold braking, trail braking and is a fast corner. Opinions please!...thanks!
Mike, your AeroBeetleWannabe and all the real 997 Aero Beetles can use the 245/40R18 and 315/30R18 Nitto NT-01, no problems with the ABS/PSM/TC as it is within acceptable tolerance.

The tolerance built for most street cars is 5%, I use 4% as the threshold (to be safe). This is the ratio difference between stock diameters front/rear, not the actual diameter difference.

Your crappy suspension is not adjustable in height (like my Cayman S custom Swift/HyperCo/RSS/Tarett/Bilstein system). If you could adjust ride height, by switching to the 315/30R18 NT-01 you would want to increase rear ride height 10mm to get the rake back, then reset rear toe. Not adjusting the ride height will promote a little extra understeer, but you have adjustable sway bars to fix this (due to the lack of ride adjustment in the GTS).

NT01 are very popular in NASA HPDE and BMW clubs. I don't like them, but there is a long list of tires I don't like either.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Mike, your AeroBeetleWannabe and all the real 997 Aero Beetles can use the 245/40R18 and 315/30R18 Nitto NT-01, no problems with the ABS/PSM/TC as it is within acceptable tolerance.

The tolerance built for most street cars is 5%, I use 4% as the threshold (to be safe). This is the ratio difference between stock diameters front/rear, not the actual diameter difference.

Your crappy suspension is not adjustable in height (like my Cayman S custom Swift/HyperCo/RSS/Tarett/Bilstein system). If you could adjust ride height, by switching to the 315/30R18 NT-01 you would want to increase rear ride height 10mm to get the rake back, then reset rear toe. Not adjusting the ride height will promote a little extra understeer, but you have adjustable sway bars to fix this (due to the lack of ride adjustment in the GTS).

NT01 are very popular in NASA HPDE and BMW clubs. I don't like them, but there is a long list of tires I don't like either.
Thanks...I'm probably going to order some of those new crappy HLT Cast $2300 OZ 18" center lock wheels for my wanna be aero beetle in the next week or so. I was thinking of getting some baller Forgelines but my GTS wanna-be isn't worth wheels that nice. Man how I'd love to get some height adjustable coil overs (KW or Bilstein) on my car though. I wonder if the Koni or AST coil overs that the Rolex Conti 997's use would be good?

It's the rake/ride height deal I'm also wondering about and having to go and spend more $$$ on another alignment to suit the NT01 sizes. I do street drive my car a lot too on stock 19".

Anyway for drive to the track in the Coffee Cup series I just might do R888 in 255/35/18 and 315/30/18. This lowers the car some, gears it down some and the R888 work just fine for DE and driving to the track on. I know you got more opinions for me...right?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Desert Dueller FTW.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Desert Dueller FTW.
That is what the Greek runs, correct?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Desert Dueller FTW.
I once ran snow tires on my 993TT and it was a blast. I'd love to try the GT3 on some crappy tires. Imagine the drifts you could pull!

Quick Reply: Toyo RS1 Slick