Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

School me on towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Default School me on towing capacity

I am beginning to lust after an enclosed trailer...

Towing capacity of my van is 6600#s, with a GCWR of 12000#. With my open FL 3110, car, dogs, gear, etc, I estimate my hauling maybe 5500#s.

A lightweight aluminum enclosed would add 1000-1500#s, putting me pretty much right at my tow capacity. My tow vehicle is a E1500 Chevy van with a 5.3L V8. I love my van and have no interest in a truck, so next tow vehicle will likely just be a more powerful cargo van (E2500, with a 10,000# capacity).

Now, I know being at max capacity is not ideal, but I also know it largely depends on terrain and driving style. I do not have too many massive grades to go up getting to my local tracks (some, yes, but not many), and after a speeding ticket not long ago I religiously drive under 60 while towing and will continue doing this. Feels safer, and I can't afford more tickets.

So...the question is:

upgrade trailer now, tow vehicle later
OR
tow vehicle now, trailer later
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Towing capacity is only one portion of the equation. The weight and wheel base, longer is better, of the tow vehicle is just as if not more important.

Peter
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Enclosed trailer is soooooo nice. Shade from sun. Shelter from rain. Place to hang out. Dressing room to change into/out of driving suit. Garage for the car. Mobile junk drawer. Much more capacity to bring along more crap (oops, I mean important stuff).
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Right, just not sure how to factor in those variables.

I plan to load up the whole rig soon and go get it weighed - trailer alone, and in combo with the van, to see exactly where I am in terms of tow weight and GCWR.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My business partner uses a Chevy 3500 van with a 6.0 liter. Max tow is rated at 9900 and his 24ft Pace , m3, and equipment really work that truck pretty hard. He just had to toe to VIR with his windows down and heat on to keep the engine temps down..... Lol. Granted, it was friggen hot the last 2 weeks.

My vote is get your tow vehicle in order for the future enclosed trailer which is the safer route.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Enclosed trailer is soooooo nice. Shade from sun. Shelter from rain. Place to hang out. Dressing room to change into/out of driving suit. Garage for the car. Mobile junk drawer. Much more capacity to bring along more crap (oops, I mean important stuff).
Indeed - which is why I love my van! And I can sleep in it at the track! Sleeping in van at track is so much easier for me than dealing with getting a motel in these dirtbag desert locations.

One of the big benefits for me would be being able to leave crap in the (enclosed) trailer between events.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

Never, ever tow at or near your vehicle's full tow capacity.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1, I have used the 75% of maximum towing as a safe level.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
OK, I'll bite. Why not? Seriously, what is the most likely problem? Trailer sway and loss of control? Inadequate brakes? Chassis disintegration? And what does this say about manufacturer specs? PS. Not advocating, just asking. Personally, I've never exceeded around 4500 lbs against a 7700 lbs rated capacity.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem with towing near capacity is only when there is an emergency. Stopping and trailer sway are dangerous at capacity. Upgrade tow vehicle and then trailer. Try to purchase an aluminum enclosed and low profile if it fits your needs.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
OK, I'll bite. Why not? Seriously, what is the most likely problem? Trailer sway and loss of control? Inadequate brakes? Chassis disintegration? And what does this say about manufacturer specs? PS. Not advocating, just asking. Personally, I've never exceeded around 4500 lbs against a 7700 lbs rated capacity.
Yes to all the above. Primarily, it's sway, loss of control, brake capacity, and risk of damaging the hitch receiver.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a diesel truck and you can sleep in your future enclosed trailer... Right?

Or heavy duty van and a trailex enclosed or bre Aerovault or shorty ATC
Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drl

Towing capacity of my van is 6600#s, with a GCWR of 12000#. With my open FL 3110, car, dogs, gear, etc, I estimate my hauling maybe 5500#s.

A lightweight aluminum enclosed would add 1000-1500#s, putting me pretty much right at my tow capacity. My tow vehicle is a E1500 Chevy van with a 5.3L V8. I love my van and have no interest in a truck, so next tow vehicle will likely just be a more powerful cargo van (E2500, with a 10,000# capacity).

Now, I know being at max capacity is not ideal, but I also know it largely depends on terrain and driving style. I do not have too many massive grades to go up getting to my local tracks (some, yes, but not many), and after a speeding ticket not long ago I religiously drive under 60 while towing and will continue doing this. Feels safer, and I can't afford more tickets.

So...the question is:

OR
You'll find your existing Econovan can be upgraded to tow Class IV, but that won't do much for performance, especially mpg. You'll find the E chassis quite capable if it's the long wheelbase, but the cost to upgrade didn't make sense to me when I looked at it. Better to find the right example for the job. To tow tomorrow with the E1500 you describe, you're limited to an open aluminum trailer. You could look at expensive lightweight enclosed from Jimglo or Aerovault, but I don't know that Trailex or Featherlite will be below 1500lbs, let alone 1000lbs -- more like 2500lbs. I'd suggest a "conventional" open aluminum trailer with stone guard and wheel carrier up front. Or upgrade to an appropriate E-van for towing with heavy duty transmission and cooler, springs, etc. or go to a diesel SUV like an Excursion (which is what I use and it's great, but has its pluses and minuses.)
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,647 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by drl

So...the question is:

OR
oh god, not another trailer thread. goto race board and see all those so called experts. after they chewed out my logic....i shall remain silent and let the brave and darwin do their thing.

suffice to say, if you can fine an enclosed trailer at 1500, you are dreaming. maybe aerovault and trailex enclosed but other than those, there are very few 1500 lbs trailers. and when they mean 1500 lbs they mean empty as in TOTALLY empty. you add spare wheel/tires, that's wt. you add a tool box that's wt. u add anything is wt.

beside towing capacity, you have to think of wt distribution, total wt, trailer axle, not all axle are the same. trailer brakes, and a whole **** load of stuff. some just talk blah blah blah..... some have ACTUAL experimentation done with his own money.

you can NEVER have a big enough trailer or truck. ok, take it away experts.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,647 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
i c. is that why you hang out in my trailerl
u forgot gourmet food cooked in my 150 lbs (see that's extra wt in trailer) green egg grille. and mind you, my cook was operating at 2% of her capacity. ask orlando and mike lew what my cook can really do...

Quick Reply: School me on towing capacity