Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

VIR Zone 2 Rumble at the Oaktree - CR/DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default VIR Zone 2 Rumble at the Oaktree - CR/DE

Sly & I had a great time in the Advance DE at Zone 2 Rumble at the Oaktree this weekend. Sly passed a lot of cars driving the black GT3 all weekend as her car is in the shop with transmission issues. I was testing the white RS on RA1's until they corded. After that I put on a set of RMag's old R6's and had some fun with a red corvette on Sunday (trying to post the incar video soon).
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like running at that event

How did you like the tires?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by jenk12m
I like running at that event

How did you like the tires?
I did a tire test over 3 days at VIR. First session of each day was 80 degrees, by end of day 96 degrees.

First two days I ran RA1 (shaved) rears until they corded. The fronts were new unshaved NT01's. I purposely did not rotate/flip the tires as I wanted to see how long they would last. I found out -- 12hc and done.

Then I slapped on Rmag's used R6's for day 3. I did not change any settings on the car when switching tires. FWIW - car is stock shocks/springs, full soft front stock bar, rear stock bar moved one hole softer from stock. Rear is lowered. Camber is 1.75rear, 2.75front. Don't know what toe is.

I found that the RA1's with less than 10hc are 3 seconds slower than R6's with more than 16hc. 2:03 vs 2:06. Didn't like that part. lol

The car still felt good. The differences I could feel were (RA1 vs R6)
* did not turn in as well
* nose slid more throughout the turns
* could not put the power down as soon on exit
Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
full soft front stock bar, rear stock bar moved one hole softer from stock.
Rear stock setting would be middle, right?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a tire test over 3 days at VIR. First session of each day was 80 degrees, by end of day 96 degrees.

I found that the RA1's with less than 10hc are 3 seconds slower than R6's with more than 16hc. 2:03 vs 2:06. Didn't like that part. lol

I thought I recognized you guys from somewhere. I should have formally introduced myself. I stopped by to ask you about your toyos and nitto pressures. Well after 30+ cycles my NT01s went bust--actually just flat on the back straight. Only later did I discover that a shark took a bite out of my tire. I should have rotated my rear wheels after the first day. Interestingly enough on the morning of the 3rd day my coolant hose/fitting went bust as well. Only had one session with new R6s and your description above is perfect. I could never get that car to turn in correctly with the nittos especially entering the esses. Anyway, nice meeting you and Sly.

Ramon
Old 06-25-2012, 03:15 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

The Advanced DE during the club race weekend had the typical variety of cars/drovers. There were a few Cup cars that used the DE runs for added practice. I had fun chasing a 997 Cup car on Sunday morning (me on R6's) that could only pull away from me on the straights with his quick ration gears. I was laughing a what redass I was giving him in the turns staying on his bumper (street GT3RS vs Cup Car). lol Of course this was when I did my best lap of the weekend at a 2:03. I was pissed that I didn't have the gopro on. I later added the gopro after run #2 on Sunday when I hooked up with Rob (great guy) from L.I., NY in his red corvette. For my last session of the day I used the go pro following the red corvette. I think our best was a 2:04 (traffic) Here it is:

Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rceron
I thought I recognized you guys from somewhere. I should have formally introduced myself. I stopped by to ask you about your toyos and nitto pressures. Well after 30+ cycles my NT01s went bust--actually just flat on the back straight. Only later did I discover that a shark took a bite out of my tire. I should have rotated my rear wheels after the first day. Interestingly enough on the morning of the 3rd day my coolant hose/fitting went bust as well. Only had one session with new R6s and your description above is perfect. I could never get that car to turn in correctly with the nittos especially entering the esses. Anyway, nice meeting you and Sly.

Ramon
Ramon, great seeing you out there. Always fun seeing other RLers.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by drl
Rear stock setting would be middle, right?
I think there are 4 holes. If stiff is #1 and loose is hole #4, then stock is #2 and I am at #3 now. I think.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

lap times chasing the red corvette (from the video)
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2012, 04:29 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry I missed the weekend ....

Then I slapped on Rmag's used R6's for day 3.
Boy, cant wait to go those tires back and run them

I found that the RA1's with less than 10hc are 3 seconds slower than R6's with more than 16hc.

And you were expecting something different
Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 108 Posts

The Advanced DE during the club race weekend had the typical variety of cars/drovers. There were a few Cup cars that used the DE runs for added practice. I had fun chasing a 997 Cup car on Sunday morning (me on R6's) that could only pull away from me on the straights with his quick ration gears. I was laughing a what redass I was giving him in the turns staying on his bumper (street GT3RS vs Cup Car). lol Of course this was when I did my best lap of the weekend at a 2:03. I was pissed that I didn't have the gopro on. I later added the gopro after run #2 on Sunday when I hooked up with Rob (great guy) from L.I., NY in his red corvette. For my last session of the day I used the go pro following the red corvette. I think our best was a 2:04 (traffic) Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdItbVu4-EY
You guys were hustling. How do you like all that shifting compared to the GT3....
Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

I think stock bar has 4 settings front, 3 rear.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great driving Clarke. NASA is going to run a Time Trials there in July, along with the 2012 Ultimate Track Car Challenge event.

I want to watch a video of Sly in the Black GT3 getting point-by from the boys, it must be fun.

Why 2 GT3? Sell the Black one and get a Scuderia, you will love it: no snap oversteer, deeper braking, shifting allows both hands on the steering wheel, and Z06 won't walk away from you.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 108 Posts

First two days I ran RA1 (shaved) rears until they corded. The fronts were new unshaved NT01's. I purposely did not rotate/flip the tires as I wanted to see how long they would last. I found out -- 12hc and done.

Then I slapped on Rmag's used R6's for day 3. I did not change any settings on the car when switching tires. FWIW - car is stock shocks/springs, full soft front stock bar, rear stock bar moved one hole softer from stock. Rear is lowered. Camber is 1.75rear, 2.75front. Don't know what toe is.

Were you running 255/335 Hoosiers, if so, the 255 is really a 275 in terms of section width, so it's alot more tire than a 245 Nitto/RA1.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdItbVu4-EY
Love the one handed driving LOL

Quick Reply: VIR Zone 2 Rumble at the Oaktree - CR/DE