Will 450hp be Enough for 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Just a few points to keep this in context:

1. The 997.2 powerkit developed 408HP. The 997.2 GT3 had 435; a difference of 27HP.

2. The 991 powerkit will make 430HP. Even if the 991 GT3 makes only the rumored 450 that's not a hugely different delta than between the previous cars. My guess is it will be a bit more than 450, but if it's not, we're not talking about a big change from the status quo.

3. I get the concerns about HP and the competition. I'd like to see Porsche up the ante, and I think they should. That said, I'll play the devil's advocate. The current GT3 RS makes 450HP. I haven't seen many complaints about folks wanting to trade theirs in because it's underpowered. Why is a new likely lighter-than-an-RS 991 GT3 with 450HP underpowered, but a current RS with 450HP isn't?

Just askin'.....
.1 +1

.2 +1

.3 +1

well said!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Please refer to demand for RS 4.0.

That said, I'll take weight reduction over power gains any day of the week.
No doubt; some people always want more power and the 4.0 is the ticket in that regard. But that doesn't necessarily mean power in the RS is inadequate and I don't see a big rush to dump 3.8 RS's for that reason; owners still wax eloquently about them (rightly so) and used ones get snapped up pretty quickly.....
Old 06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Very difficult to get to the oil filter, eh?!

Originally Posted by philooo

Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. The 997.2 powerkit developed 408HP. The 997.2 GT3 had 435; a difference of 27HP.

2. The 991 powerkit will make 430HP. Even if the 991 GT3 makes only the rumored 450 that's not a hugely different delta than between the previous cars. My guess is it will be a bit more than 450, but if it's not, we're not talking about a big change from the status quo.

3. I get the concerns about HP and the competition. I'd like to see Porsche up the ante, and I think they should. That said, I'll play the devil's advocate. The current GT3 RS makes 450HP. I haven't seen many complaints about folks wanting to trade theirs in because it's underpowered. Why is a new likely lighter-than-an-RS 991 GT3 with 450HP underpowered, but a current RS with 450HP isn't?

Just askin'.....
Good points, imo Porsche has its market cornered, people will run out and buy the GT3 even if all of the competition blow its doors off. Then they will sell a slightly upgraded version and tack on 30 hp (and 50k) even if the competition still blows its doors off.

The 997 generation simply proved that the Porsche market simply does not care if their car is among the fastest. They will buy anyways. So we should not expect Porsche to bring the fight to Corvette, Viper, Ferrari etc.

A shame really.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
Good points, imo Porsche has its market cornered, people will run out and buy the GT3 even if all of the competition blow its doors off. Then they will sell a slightly upgraded version and tack on 30 hp (and 50k) even if the competition still blows its doors off.

The 997 generation simply proved that the Porsche market simply does not care if their car is among the fastest. They will buy anyways. So we should not expect Porsche to bring the fight to Corvette, Viper, Ferrari etc.

A shame really.
I agree with you. I'll add one thought. Of the 3 cars you mention, set the Ferrari aside for a second as it's really at a much different price point than the other cars or the GT3. It's not just about the fastest car, as people have pointed out many times in the PDK vs MT or 997 vs 991 discussions. The Corvette ZR1 and Viper may be faster than a GT3 but when you look at the whole package and the overall driving experience it's not even a contest, IMO. That's why, for good or ill, folks have always been willing to pay more for Porsches than the competition.

You're right; Porsche knows their market and has it cornered. Maybe that is a shame as it can lead to complacency, but fortunately I don't think it's gone that far. It would be a much bigger shame if Porsche stopped making desireable cars and we all had to drive Vipers.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

A shame really.
The 997 generation are among the fastest...

Their just not THE Fastest.

I like on how the advertisement it says with the extra 30 BHP it can do 3.9 with the PDK and Launch Control.

Heck the magazines have been doing 3.7 second Naught to 60s with the plain jane 400 BHP Carrera S with PDK and SC++.

Love how they understate their stats.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Just askin'.....
From a percentage standpoint, the 991GT3 would need 460 to stay consistent. My guess is it will be 470-475, with the RS over the magic 500.

If the 500hp RS 4.0 had been available in greater quantities and at a more reasonable price, I think you would have seen just about everybody on this board make a play for one.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

it will be 500hp.... (in RS trim). It will match or exceed the outgoing 4.0L
Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
The 997 generation are among the fastest...

Their just not THE Fastest.

I like on how the advertisement it says with the extra 30 BHP it can do 3.9 with the PDK and Launch Control.

Heck the magazines have been doing 3.7 second Naught to 60s with the plain jane 400 BHP Carrera S with PDK and SC++.

Love how they understate their stats.
Point taken, but is that sufficient? The 4.0 is a day late and a dollar short in terms of the performance totem pole. A Z07 spec Z06 is just as fast as a GT2 RS, with also only 500 hp and pretty much the same weight/power ratio as the 4.0.

It's a shame that Porsche is charging well over 200k for a GT3 and it's still not as fast as a Z06 with the same weight/power ratio.

The .2 RS should have been 500 hp and the 4.0 525 to stay at the very least even with the competition. Porsche as settling for second best, and soon it will be 3rd best, 4th and next thing you know Porsche will be Lambo, or Audi with name, history and prestige only. It's also showing in racing how complacent Porsche has been, the RSR's are an embarrassment to even watch now.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
From a percentage standpoint, the 991GT3 would need 460 to stay consistent. My guess is it will be 470-475, with the RS over the magic 500.
460 would be consistent and I think that's possible. 470-475 is optomistic, IMO, but I hope you're right.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If the 500hp RS 4.0 had been available in greater quantities and at a more reasonable price, I think you would have seen just about everybody on this board make a play for one.
No doubt; no one turns down more HP at a reasonable price. I'll say one more time, though, that doesn't mean that people are actually bummed by 450 in the current car, which was my original point. I may have missed them, but I haven't seen any ongoing threads titled, "450HP isn't Enough for the 997 3.8 RS".

It's also showing in racing how complacent Porsche has been, the RSR's are an embarrassment to even watch now.
The 997 RSR has been very successful, but it's now at the end of it's useful life compared to the competition. The problem isn't HP, as that is pretty much regulated by restrictor size, it's the platform. The changes that the 991 is bringing relative to wheelbase, track, engine location, etc. have been roundly (and I think unfairly) criticized by some for the street car but they are what are required to make the 911 potentially competitive on track again. We'll see whether they work or whether Porsche has to move away from the rear engine layout altogether to stay in the game. Personally, I think they will find a way to make it work; wishful thinking maybe......

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-22-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Ne ones ideas on what the 991 cupcars will be speced out as well as the rsr. They ain't doing well as is rt now. Pretty bad luck with flying lizard this season. Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 09:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With a GT3 nearing 500 HP, I sure hope you new owners don't start waving at me and all on the highway. Keep your eys ahead. Be safe out there.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 991 GT3 RS will produce over 500bhp...

The arrival of the 991 Carrera S Powerkit should be a positive indication for GT3 owners as it would UNTHINKABLE for Porsche to announce the 991 GT3 with the same (horrific) Aerokit package, the same 9A1 engine with a few extra bhp and only available with PDK.

There was a serious concern that the 991 GT3 would be more like a Carrera S that had just got been for a long-weekend at a tuning house, rather than a genuine GT homologated racer adapted for road and track use, with a motorsport proven engine and gearbox.

Porsche will need to put clear water between the 991 Carrera S Powerkit and the 991 GT3 to maintain the excellent reputation of the GT3 heritage built by Andreas Preuninger and the team of Porsche Motorsport engineers at Weissach, so no need to manage down expectations. Porsche Motorsport knows how to be successful and profitable in motorsport and understand that they need to be competitive in international GT racing to maintain the racing and commercial success.

Moreover, it is perfectly reasonable for existing GT3 RS customers to expect that the specifications of the 991 GT3 RS will be above that of the awesome 997 GT3 RS 4.0 with over 500bhp from a Porsche Motorsport dry-sump engine... surely Porsche Motorsport engineers have worked out how to fit DFI headers to that awesome GT3 RS 4.0 engine with a red line at 9000rpm!

The customer order book for the 991 GT3 RS would fill up faster than a lap of the Nurburgring...

Also look forward to hearing the RS Spyder's motorsport engine -- as developed for the 918 Spyder (excluding the hybrid drive) with a 4.6-litre V8 producing 570bhp and 9000rpm -- in the new Porsche 960 to compete with the Ferrari 458 Italia...

Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
wanna911
Race Car

460 would be consistent and I think that's possible. 470-475 is optomistic, IMO, but I hope you're right.

No doubt; no one turns down more HP at a reasonable price. I'll say one more time, though, that doesn't mean that people are actually bummed by 450 in the current car, which was my original point. I may have missed them, but I haven't seen any ongoing threads titled, "450HP isn't Enough for the 997 3.8 RS".

The 997 RSR has been very successful, but it's now at the end of it's useful life compared to the competition. The problem isn't HP, as that is pretty much regulated by restrictor size, it's the platform. The changes that the 991 is bringing relative to wheelbase, track, engine location, etc. have been roundly (and I think unfairly) criticized by some for the street car but they are what are required to make the 911 potentially competitive on track again. We'll see whether they work or whether Porsche has to move away from the rear engine layout altogether to stay in the game. Personally, I think they will find a way to make it work; wishful thinking maybe......
The 997 RSR has been successful, but not that fast. The Lizards have just been a better team with smarter drivers than their primary competition (Risi) even though the Ferrari was faster much of the time. The writing has been on the wall for several years. BMW and Corvette only exposed it more in recent years. The RSR has been well over a second off the pace several times even 2 seconds sometimes. It's not even fair anymore.

You could see it coming from a mile away. Its been even worse in Europe.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
The arrival of the 991 Carrera S Powerkit should be a positive indication for GT3 owners as it would UNTHINKABLE for Porsche to announce the 991 GT3 with the same (horrific) Aerokit package, the same 9A1 engine with a few extra bhp and only available with PDK.

There was a serious concern that the 991 GT3 would be more like a Carrera S that had just got been for a long-weekend at a tuning house, rather than a genuine GT homologated racer adapted for road and track use, with a motorsport proven engine and gearbox.

Porsche will need to put clear water between the 991 Carrera S Powerkit and the 991 GT3 to maintain the excellent reputation of the GT3 heritage built by Andreas Preuninger and the team of Porsche Motorsport engineers at Weissach, so no need to manage down expectations. Porsche Motorsport knows how to be successful and profitable in motorsport and understand that they need to be competitive in international GT racing to maintain the racing and commercial success.

Moreover, it is perfectly reasonable for existing GT3 RS customers to expect that the specifications of the 991 GT3 RS will be above that of the awesome 997 GT3 RS 4.0 with over 500bhp from a Porsche Motorsport dry-sump engine... surely Porsche Motorsport engineers have worked out how to fit DFI headers to that awesome GT3 RS 4.0 engine with a red line at 9000rpm!

The customer order book for the 991 GT3 RS would fill up faster than a lap of the Nurburgring...

Also look forward to hearing the RS Spyder's motorsport engine -- as developed for the 918 Spyder (excluding the hybrid drive) with a 4.6-litre V8 producing 570bhp and 9000rpm -- in the new Porsche 960 to compete with the Ferrari 458 Italia...

I like the way you think, and I hope you are right.....

Quick Reply: Will 450hp be Enough for 991 GT3?