Buying a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Buying a car out of state

Hello,

I'm starting to look into purchasing a GT3 or RS, hopefully very soon. I've been reading and researching, and of course there are a lot of factors-finding what I want, price, CPO/remaining warranty, 997.1 or.2, and since my search includes cars out of state, I'd like to hear opinions from those who have done so. I'm in FL and would prefer buying at a dealer in my area, but since it's not that easy to find something I want, I might have to drive across country or have it shipped.
So there are tax/tag issues, and I'm not even sure what happens once the deal is closed-if I buy a car in Texas or Arizona but plan on driving it here, do I pay sales taxes only here where I will have the car registered? I would suppose so, and drive with a temporary tag(?)
I will sell my E92 soon before getting the GT3, and could bring the FL tag with me, and also call my insurance company to switch/report the new car.

I'm also consulting gt3rsregistry.com
Any tips, negotiating strategies that could be posted would be much appreciated.
I plan on selling my car instead of trading it in, but you never know-I might see what's offered for it. I might consider buying from a private sale but tend to prefer buying an expensive car like this from a dealer.
And I haven't seen that many cars available in my area, which seems odd, but apparently there are a lot of satisfied customers holding on to their cars...

Best,

John
Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Just last Thursday I bought a new Ford F-450 in VA and had the dealer register it in FL - no problem. Dealer collected FL tax & tag fee at time of sale. Dealer will handle getting the FL plates to me here in VA.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each county in FL is different, but to be safe plan on paying 6.9 to 7% of sales taxes upon registering the new car with DMV.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Should be straightforward if you buy from a dealer. I was lucky to find mine in my state, and the seller was I guy I trusted so it was an easy transaction. I have always wondered how you would buy from a seller who doesn't actually hold the title...especially if it were a long distance purchase. Seems like that could get complicated. I think you just pay all the tax when you register it unless you buy in a neighbor state. Possible they may collect some of the tax if so.

But anyway, just find a cpo'ed car from a dealer. Fly to see it and drive it home or have it shipped.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Bought a few cars out of state.
Just have it trucked in or drive it home. Take the title and bill of sale to the DMV, stand an hour or 2 in line to be treated like and idiot and pay your sales tax.
Your title, registration and plate will be in the mail.

Or have a local dealer buy it, cpo it and they will do it all for you for a fee. Not going to the DMV is worth the fee alone.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Or have a local dealer buy it, cpo it and they will do it all for you for a fee. Not going to the DMV is worth the fee alone.
That's because the DMV is probably outside your 4 mile radius circle of trust from your house
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Can buy it out of state. Find a private party you trust or a car at a dealer. Fly and drive or have it shipped. Go to dmv in your home state to register and generally pay tax when you register. Done it both ways more than once. If you find a party u trust wire them the money, have them overnite you the title and get it registered and then go pick it up.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

realistically, there are enough nice GT3s to choose from in florida to avoid having to go out of state sight unseen.

What color are you looking for? subtle or wild?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Well, I like Black/Orange, Black/Black, White, Guards Red, Orange...I like Yellow on a Ferrari but I don't seem to like it on a GT3...Saw a signal Green today and it's beautiful but not sure about it-
When things start falling into place I'll make a move and pounce on what makes itself the best choice-it's looking like I might weigh it out between an '08 RS or a'10 GT3(the advantage here would be some CPO/factory warranties extend to around 2016 from what I've seen)-or a delay in weeks/months might turn out to be an advantage, I've been seeing price reductions.

I've always made offers and negotiated, but as mentioned, any tips are much appreciated since I imagine it's a bit different dealing w/ these cars(not that many available etc)
And GT3rsregistry.com seems like a good way to double check the history of some cars
BTW, is there a big advantage to having the dynamic engine mounts?

Thanks again,

JB
Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

DEM makes the engine slosh around less in the back.Search and you will find a lot of info.

For .1 cars witout it you can fix it with solid engine mounts, but it is one of the major reasons to go with a .2.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 AM
jparker36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the opposite of you, bought a florida GT3 and I'm from texas. As is said above, take title and bill of sale to the DMV, wait some time, and you're good to go.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my .1 RS from an out-of-state fellow rennlister - however I did it alittle different. I went through my local Porsche dealer. Better finance rate (compared to my bank) and easier to do - no mess - no hassle.

We came to an agreement on purchase fee (under $3K) so this was not a big issue. They took care of the PPI at the seller's dealer, price negotiation and transport. The nice thing about this - it still is not my car until I sign on the line. Should anything happen to the car during transport - it is on them (Woodhouse Porsche) and not me. The transport cost is a wash anyway - you have to pay for it no matter who gets it - so better that Woodhouse had the liability and not me.

Due to the mods from the PO, we needed a larger trailer for transport for all of the original parts. In the end - all good! Woodhouse unloaded the car - went on a test drive (by my instructions) and stored the additional parts. Detailed the car and delivered the extra parts to my house. All in all - I would do it again with these guys (actually, we are doing this next year on a Panamera GTS). Woodhouse is very straight up and honest - great people!

Good luck with your purchase.

Mark
Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Well, I like Black/Orange, Black/Black, White, Guards Red, Orange...I like Yellow on a Ferrari but I don't seem to like it on a GT3...Saw a signal Green today and it's beautiful but not sure about it-
When things start falling into place I'll make a move and pounce on what makes itself the best choice-it's looking like I might weigh it out between an '08 RS or a'10 GT3(the advantage here would be some CPO/factory warranties extend to around 2016 from what I've seen)-or a delay in weeks/months might turn out to be an advantage, I've been seeing price reductions.

I've always made offers and negotiated, but as mentioned, any tips are much appreciated since I imagine it's a bit different dealing w/ these cars(not that many available etc)
And GT3rsregistry.com seems like a good way to double check the history of some cars
BTW, is there a big advantage to having the dynamic engine mounts?

Thanks again,

JB
save yourself a tonne of money, go buy the orange RS at orbit and fill your hunger with it. The car has everything for a road and or track day car. Either way you will not lose.

Orange is a super fun color to have

seriously, go buy it. You will not regret it. Comes with a dream list of parts. The car is priced low.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I'm sure it will be gone by the time I can commit to something-and when I do, it has to be CPO, DME,no track time, service records, etc.
Thanks for the responses-

Best,

JB
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've purchased several cars out of state. The dealer u buy it from will give u a temp tag. U'll pay tax here at your local DMV. Its a breeze. My personal experience prices in Florida tend to be higher. For some reason I seem to find well priced cars in GA.

Quick Reply: Buying a car out of state