Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

To those of you with street-car centerlocks...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Did he show you how to take apart the inner guts on a center lock nut?

This step is important to maintain the center lock friction parts on the inside to insure proper torque when tightening.
Yes, we separated the nut and inspected the parts....I got the greasy fingers to prove it too.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRex
Pete, your info is golden as usual. The bulletin includes extensive pictures which are kind of difficult to make out in low-res B&W but I get the drift. Any chance we can get a better, colored version?
I wish, but Porsche makes it very difficult to disseminate critical, life-saving info. Maybe someone else can access a color version. Don't know how long that PDF will stay up before the forum gets a take-down notice. Hard to comprehend why they choose to hide behind lawyers instead of supporting the owners.

Think about how much they spend on marketing videos to get you to buy a car, and how after the sale owner support materials are never produced or hidden behind the threat of leagal action? Begs some introspection and questions of what kind of manufacturer we really want to support with our purchases...

Originally Posted by brim
Good post and reminder. It's like anything in life that you expect to keep you alive in a dangerous environment, you need to be methodical and thorough. There is no such thing as being too thorough when you're life and the lives or your fellow D/E buddies are on the line.

Would you ignore a operating procedure or potential issue with a parachute before you jumped out of a plane expecting it to deploy before you hit the ground. CL (and 5 bolt) is no different - among about 100 other things that you need to be aware of on your car.
Post of the week nominee
Old 06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I wish, but Porsche makes it very difficult to disseminate critical, life-saving info. Maybe someone else can access a color version. Don't know how long that PDF will stay up before the forum gets a take-down notice. Hard to comprehend why they choose to hide behind lawyers instead of supporting the owners.

Think about how much they spend on marketing videos to get you to buy a car, and how after the sale owner support materials are never produced or hidden behind the threat of leagal action? Begs some introspection and questions of what kind of manufacturer we really want to support with our purchases...

Well said Pete, well said indeed.

Originally Posted by CRex
Pete, your info is golden as usual. The bulletin includes extensive pictures which are kind of difficult to make out in low-res B&W but I get the drift. Any chance we can get a better, colored version?
Members only and please do not repost, print or save.

A must read for all (unlucky) CL owners.

Best,

John

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ssessment.html
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding cages, also please be aware that a caged car driven without harnesses and/or a helmet can also be very dangerous as well.

I know of a street accident in a rear-only caged GT3 where the driver has permanent brain damage after their head hit the bars.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1. I know of another incident where a Porsche equiped with a full Club Sport cage caused head injury to the driver because they were driving the car on the street without a helmet. If you set up the car for optimal safety on track, which is ideal, you have to take the necessary precautions when driving said car on the street.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Well said Pete, well said indeed.

Members only and please do not repost, print or save.

A must read for all (unlucky) CL owners.

Best,

John

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ssessment.html
Indeed

Last edited by malmasri; 06-14-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It is unfortunate that so many people support this complex Center Lock system, and accept it for what it is. The more the support, the more Porsche will continue on the incorrect path. Porsche did it with the PDK shifter buttons, to later recognize their error and offer paddles, but this feature was not life threatening, and CL is life threatening.

Unfortunately, legal actions against the unnecessary complexity to just replace tires or wheels will not occur until an accident ends up with deadly results.

There have been many close calls on problems like Coolant fitting failures, Center Lock failures, and ABS Ice-Mode failures, most of them with significant money loses, but fortunately no deadly consequences.

Sadly, statistics would play on this sooner or later, you cannot spill slippery coolant to a car behind at 100+ mph, or lose your brakes at 100+ mph, or lose a wheel at 100+ mph and expect to walk away and others to walk away with a few body scratches and some significant money loses, eventually somebody is going to get physically or mentally hurt.

This is not the case of Porsche making a tail happy 930, or a Carrera GT with low grip tires and an ill alignment, these two cases were one-off.

The CL failures, coolant fitting failures and ABS failures have precedents, including claims covered under warranty, claims not covered under warranty, but claims nonetheless with the corresponding documentation that something got fixed. How can Porsche act invisibly to these life threatening design failures escapes my mind, especially with such a low number of cars with these defects.

So, if you drive a GT3/GT2/GT3RS/GT2RS/996turbo/997.1 Turbo and you enjoy tracking it, do yourself and others a favor: replace the slippery coolant with water, get the coolant fittings welded. Have your CL wheels changed by a Porsche dealer and don't change your own wheels as that would make you liable for lack of proof you have followed a proper procedure. Test your brakes before braking zones and be progressive on their application, brake hard at the beginning and release progressively, don't stomp on the brake pedal be gentle in its application, if ice mode gets you, release and re-apply brakes.

As months go by, we will get more news on these type of accidents, one thing is being lucky, another thing is to expect to be permanently lucky, the later is irresponsible.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Sounds as though following Porsche's centerlock instructions to the T would not/did not prevent this type of failure...?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder if Porsche Germany and/or PCNA monitors this thread on rennlist? Wonder what there true thoughts really are and how they view the center lock issue. I also wonder if there has been any impact at the dealer level due to center lock failures?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Last summer I saw a 997 GT3.2 which suffered a centerlock failure at the driver's rear ... in a high speed right hand sweeper. Rim rolled under the car but thankfully it didn't launch the car into the air and roll it. PCCB rotor shattered when the car came down and spun but it didn't hit the nearby guardrail.

What is particularly interesting is that I've seen photos of the incident. The photographer was at that corner that day. The photos are absolutely unbelievable.

Last I heard no-one was taking responsibility for the issue and the owner of the car, the shop that put on the wheels, the Porsche dealer and Porsche Cars Canada all blamed others.

Me, I'll stick to my old school 5 bolt studs for my car.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW, I have seen two local failures of centerlocks. Both were the result of over-torquing the nut. This damages the hub. One was a non catastrophic failure - vibration alerted the driver. The other resulted in a lost wheel. It is important to check the hub for damage if the wheels have ever been torqued by a gorilla. Mine were. I saw a 6 foot mechanic do a handstand on the long-long toque wrench trying to undo the nut!!!!!

No hub or red nubbin damage I'm happy to say.

Edit: Make that three failures including the one Canuck refers to above, diagnosis on that one is unknown to me.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 378 Posts

Pete:

Thank you so much for the pics and bulletin. As always, your info is extremely helpful to the community. This is really disconcerting despite the fact that some of us are extremely **** about the wheel on/off procedure (count me as one). It was bad enough thinking that my car might dump coolant everywhere. This is much worse. Even worse to think it will require a serious injury to possibly see some action from PCNA.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Back issues of the February 2012 issue of Excellence, the issue with "5 lugs or bust" (CL to 5 lug conversion for 997.2's), can be ordered on the Excellence website.....just sayin' !

Stay safe!

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

I'be requested that Orbit sends my CL maintenance records and sworn affidavit to my lawyers should I not survive it. My wife will be a wealthy widow.

Anyway, does not look good for her, never any sign of wear after now 20000 miles and many many track days, most at Sebring.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,738 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
Back issues of the February 2012 issue of Excellence, the issue with "5 lugs or bust" (CL to 5 lug conversion for 997.2's), can be ordered on the Excellence website.....just sayin' !

Stay safe!

Cheers!
Doug N.
does it work on wide body cars such as RS

Quick Reply: To those of you with street-car centerlocks...