Steering wheel options for GT3RS-- it's all about the girth

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Steering wheel options for GT3RS-- it's all about the girth

Love my new '11 RS. LOVE it.

Except the steering wheel. I've got the standard wheel, which is the alcantara wheel with the yellow stripe at 12 o'clock and the light gray hub/spokes. It feels like a pencil in my hands. I had a techart wheel on my old car and that thing was awesome. I still have it in a box, but really like the alcantara and the techart is leather. Plus, to install it I'd need to buy an airbag. And I'd really like to stay with OEM wheels of the right era for this car.

Any of you done the upgrade to either the thicker wheel in alcantara (I think this is the CLA option wheel) or to the wheel from the RS 4.0? How much thicker is the "thicker" wheel-- slightly, or noticeably? Can it be had with the stripe at 12:00 (from my research there seems to be contradicting info about whether the stripe is or is not available if ordered aftermarket)?

How about the 4.0 wheel. More expensive (but better looking) but again there seems to be contradicting info whether it is the same thickness as the standard wheel (i.e. not thick) or as the CLA wheel. Again, any of you lucky bastards who have had both a 3.8RS and a 4.0RS care to comment? The 4.0 has one other big advantage (besides being better looking) in that it has alcantara all the way around. The other wheels have the spokes extending across the wheel and breaking up the alcantara at 3 and 9 o'clock, which is right where my index fingers rest.

I'm probably leaning towards the CLA if it's truly an improvement, as I could directly swap the airbag from my wheel to that one (though maybe the same is true of the 4.0 wheel despite the different hub shape). Plus, my car has little in the way of aluminum accents in the interior and I think the plain black CLA hub/spokes might look better than the brightwork on the 4.0 wheel.

Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:04 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

I have the 4.0 RS steering wheel on my 3.8 RS. It is definitely thicker than the stock wheel and has a more finished look. The CLA option wheel is a little thicker than the 4.0 RS wheel.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also get your wheel redone locally be an upholstery shop.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes
Love my new '11 RS. LOVE it.

Except the steering wheel. I've got the standard wheel, which is the alcantara wheel with the yellow stripe at 12 o'clock and the light gray hub/spokes. It feels like a pencil in my hands. I had a techart wheel on my old car and that thing was awesome. I still have it in a box, but really like the alcantara and the techart is leather. Plus, to install it I'd need to buy an airbag. And I'd really like to stay with OEM wheels of the right era for this car.

Any of you done the upgrade to either the thicker wheel in alcantara (I think this is the CLA option wheel) or to the wheel from the RS 4.0? How much thicker is the "thicker" wheel-- slightly, or noticeably? Can it be had with the stripe at 12:00 (from my research there seems to be contradicting info about whether the stripe is or is not available if ordered aftermarket)?

How about the 4.0 wheel. More expensive (but better looking) but again there seems to be contradicting info whether it is the same thickness as the standard wheel (i.e. not thick) or as the CLA wheel. Again, any of you lucky bastards who have had both a 3.8RS and a 4.0RS care to comment? The 4.0 has one other big advantage (besides being better looking) in that it has alcantara all the way around. The other wheels have the spokes extending across the wheel and breaking up the alcantara at 3 and 9 o'clock, which is right where my index fingers rest.

I'm probably leaning towards the CLA if it's truly an improvement, as I could directly swap the airbag from my wheel to that one (though maybe the same is true of the 4.0 wheel despite the different hub shape). Plus, my car has little in the way of aluminum accents in the interior and I think the plain black CLA hub/spokes might look better than the brightwork on the 4.0 wheel.

Thoughts?
I was extremely lucky to get a CLA RS wheel from suncoast a while back, it is subtly thicker than the "standard" wheel ... fitted it to my '10 GT3 and reused the airbag module ...

do it you wont regret it!

p.s
you will probably have to provide your VIN in order to get one from Porsche, it was rumored that this was required to order CLA "after-factory"
p.p.s
the black accents look great I can probably post pics if you want to see it ...
p.p.p.s
and you can probably sell the regular wheel here to offset the cost, someone will want one with the stripe!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Larry--

Great idea on selling the old one. I'd forgotten that the stripe is not on all of them.

If you have a second to post a pic, it might help to assess the differences in thickness of the wheels....

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I was extremely lucky to get a CLA RS wheel from suncoast a while back, it is subtly thicker than the "standard" wheel ... fitted it to my '10 GT3 and reused the airbag module ...

do it you wont regret it!

p.s
you will probably have to provide your VIN in order to get one from Porsche, it was rumored that this was required to order CLA "after-factory"
p.p.s
the black accents look great I can probably post pics if you want to see it ...
p.p.p.s
and you can probably sell the regular wheel here to offset the cost, someone will want one with the stripe!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 4.0L wheel with chrome spokes is hott....
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
sandy59
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Wink

Here's a picture of mine - on the correct side of the car

Name:  IMG_0115_2.jpg
Views: 2777
Size:  139.2 KB
Old 06-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that-- that wheel is clearly thicker than the one in my car. Going to have to call Suncoast.....

Originally Posted by sandy59

Attachment 638663
Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I think the 4.0 wheels is much too shiny.
CLA all black is the way to go, just the right size for me. Noticeable thicker then ugly regular wheel.

I don't like the silvery air vents and ring around the shifter booth. I'd love to paint them flat black like the CLA wheel.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Or just wear driving gloves when tracking...lots cheaper
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

we prefer the OMP Cup wheel....
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Lol!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandy59

Attachment 638663
looks just like mine ... only someone put the wheel on the wrong side in my car!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laertes
Thanks for that-- that wheel is clearly thicker than the one in my car. Going to have to call Suncoast.....
you might have to give them your VIN ... it was pure luck that I got mine from them, I think someone had ordered it and then backed out ... as I recall it was around $16xx or so ... well worth it IMHO ...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
we prefer the OMP Cup wheel....
That's a riot!!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel options for GT3RS-- it's all about the girth