Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Started shopping again, looking at F430s and GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 AM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it makes sense that on this forum the discussion evolves into nearly requiring you to get a Scud if you want to maintain your membership in the Hairy-Chested Man club.

Well, I opted for a 430, but come to think of it, I don't have a hairy chest anyway. If you're going to track it, then get the Scud just like you'd get a GT3 on the Porsche side. But, man, if you think a 430 is too primitive and slow and inept on the street, I don't know where the Hell you drive, but you must drive faster on the street than me. There are different opinions in the world and some people (like me) would prefer the 430 to a Scud on the street. And not everyone in the world with a 2005-2007 F430 is replacing all the parts all the time. Some of them claim their 430 is cheaper to maintain than their BMW, Mercedes and yes, even Porsche. And as far as ceramic brakes, there are a couple of companies doing good business selling steel brake kits to replace the ceramics on Scuds because they haven't exactly proven indestructible when tracked.

I track my 993 turbo (purchased last spring) and in keeping with my non-hairy chest I just started last year with HPDE. But it's a lot of fun and last fall I was looking at a .2 GT3. I drove it and liked it but it was, of course, somewhat similar to my 993 and actually I kind of preferred my suspension (PSS 10's). I then drove an F430 and it was a different beast, sounded fantastic, looked incredible and, although I guess it might have driven like crap, with my lack of skill I couldn't tell. I wanted a spider so the Scud was out and anyway, in Utah it is really rare to see a Ferrari on the track and it's a bit too expensive for me to be comfortable with it on a crowded track. For a mostly street car I preferred the 430. The 16M is very cool but for the premium over a 430 you could also buy a 550 or 575. And that's what I did. The 550 is definitely a GT but these originally $220K cars are reliable and the best bargain in Ferrari-ville. After driving one I don't see how anyone could buy a Lexus, BMW, etc. that costs the same.

I still want a GT3 and will get one someday. But in the meantime, there was a DE event at Miller on Mother's Day and apparently hardly anyone could get permission to go. So I took the 550 and shared the track with only 3 other cars. It's heavy and the brakes fade after a lap. But I knew that. It handled surprisingly well, sounded great, was awesome to shift, fun at 100mph and I had a blast.

One more thing to further erode your opinion of me. I'm secure enough in my manhood to admit that I don't think the California is that bad. It's fast and beautiful and relatively practical. Most of those on ferrarichat also deride it as a chick car. But the fact is hardly any women buy any Ferrari, including the Cali. Many on f-chat predicted anyone who bought a Cali would have their ********* fall off and the car would be half price in six months (didn't I hear similar things when the 996 came out?). I don't know about the ******** part, but the car has held its value quite well and some of the hairy-chested on f-chat are being forced to have less fun at the Cali's expense.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^
One of the funnier posts I have read in a long, long, time.

Tough crowd on rennlist. I'm sure your chest is suitably hairy, and, if not, your ********* suitably large, that you will pass muster...

Maybe
Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
F1 pump are well known issues in the F430, and so are the cracking headers and cracking muffler mounts. A set of failed headers put catalytic converter pieces into the engine and killed the engine.
How does a downstream component (cats) get to damage the engine components upstream? That should be of concern to anybody with aftermarket headers and cats if that's a repeatable condition!!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
What was the quote?
BERLIN, May 12 – German sports car maker Porsche has dropped plans to build a two-seater vehicle which would have been smaller and cheaper than its Boxster model, Stuttgarter Zeitung reported on Saturday, citing Chief Executive Officer Matthias Müller.

Such plans would risk diluting the brand and alienate traditional customers, according to Mr Müller.

“We would do no good to the brand if we were to lose traditional Porsche customers” by pursuing a smaller Boxster model, the CEO was quoted as saying in an interview.

Mr Müller said Porsche also has no immediate plans to develop a smaller version of its four-door Panamera sedan, though he indicated that such a model could become an option in five or six years.

Porsche is aiming to increase annual deliveries to about 200,000 sports cars and SUVs by taking advantage of resources at Volkswagen. Europe’s largest auto manufacturer owns 49.9 per cent of Porsche’s core business and is currently examining ways to purchase the remainder.

So the smaller sedan will come in the next VW/Audi platform cycle. Take from this what you will, but what I see is a company no longer interested in building sports cars for enthusiasts; "traditional Porsche customers" now being image-seeking brand ****** willing to pay a premium for an existing VW/Audi product to impress the neighbors.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 05-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utahrock
I guess it makes sense that on this forum the discussion evolves into nearly requiring you to get a Scud if you want to maintain your membership in the Hairy-Chested Man club.

Well, I opted for a 430, but come to think of it, I don't have a hairy chest anyway. If you're going to track it, then get the Scud just like you'd get a GT3 on the Porsche side. But, man, if you think a 430 is too primitive and slow and inept on the street, I don't know where the Hell you drive, but you must drive faster on the street than me. There are different opinions in the world and some people (like me) would prefer the 430 to a Scud on the street. And not everyone in the world with a 2005-2007 F430 is replacing all the parts all the time. Some of them claim their 430 is cheaper to maintain than their BMW, Mercedes and yes, even Porsche. And as far as ceramic brakes, there are a couple of companies doing good business selling steel brake kits to replace the ceramics on Scuds because they haven't exactly proven indestructible when tracked.

I track my 993 turbo (purchased last spring) and in keeping with my non-hairy chest I just started last year with HPDE. But it's a lot of fun and last fall I was looking at a .2 GT3. I drove it and liked it but it was, of course, somewhat similar to my 993 and actually I kind of preferred my suspension (PSS 10's). I then drove an F430 and it was a different beast, sounded fantastic, looked incredible and, although I guess it might have driven like crap, with my lack of skill I couldn't tell. I wanted a spider so the Scud was out and anyway, in Utah it is really rare to see a Ferrari on the track and it's a bit too expensive for me to be comfortable with it on a crowded track. For a mostly street car I preferred the 430. The 16M is very cool but for the premium over a 430 you could also buy a 550 or 575. And that's what I did. The 550 is definitely a GT but these originally $220K cars are reliable and the best bargain in Ferrari-ville. After driving one I don't see how anyone could buy a Lexus, BMW, etc. that costs the same.

I still want a GT3 and will get one someday. But in the meantime, there was a DE event at Miller on Mother's Day and apparently hardly anyone could get permission to go. So I took the 550 and shared the track with only 3 other cars. It's heavy and the brakes fade after a lap. But I knew that. It handled surprisingly well, sounded great, was awesome to shift, fun at 100mph and I had a blast.

One more thing to further erode your opinion of me. I'm secure enough in my manhood to admit that I don't think the California is that bad. It's fast and beautiful and relatively practical. Most of those on ferrarichat also deride it as a chick car. But the fact is hardly any women buy any Ferrari, including the Cali. Many on f-chat predicted anyone who bought a Cali would have their ********* fall off and the car would be half price in six months (didn't I hear similar things when the 996 came out?). I don't know about the ******** part, but the car has held its value quite well and some of the hairy-chested on f-chat are being forced to have less fun at the Cali's expense.

There is hope, you ride a KTM Adventure ...
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Didn't read the whole thread but, I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet 1 dollar that Rad has posted

that:

A. Judging by a sample of (n = 1), the Scuderia is the most reliable car in the world
and
B. It's cheaper to maintain than a Husqvarna chainsaw

Carry on..
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ambassador has been here....hahaha

that guards 993 turbo is very sexy and feminine!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Didn't read the whole thread but, I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet 1 dollar that Rad has posted

that:

A. Judging by a sample of (n = 1), the Scuderia is the most reliable car in the world
and

Carry on..
Need to find users with less than 10 posts for anyone to take that bet!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by utahrock
The 550 is definitely a GT but these originally $220K cars are reliable and the best bargain in Ferrari-ville. After driving one I don't see how anyone could buy a Lexus, BMW, etc. that costs the same.
Completely agree. We ordered a 2000 model, took delivery of it in July 2000, drove & tracked the hell out of it for 8 years and nearly 37,000 miles. Fantastic car that is built like a tank in every way.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

While I'm sure the Fiat is a fun car, I wouldn't even buy one with someone else's money. I'll take the analog feel, and phenomenal flat-six sound of a 3.8 GT3 over any Ferrari any day.

Ferrari has not made an appealing car since the F40, and I'll stick to that opinion all day long.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

that:

and

Carry on..
LOL, and everything else pales by comparision.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oebb
Does that mean that the Scuderia's clutch lasts longer?

The Scuderia's are getting cheap around here, pretty much the same price as a 3.8 RS. The regular F430s are pretty much selling for GT3 3.6 levels, too many cheap cars being imported from Italy.
I'll definitely get the Scud over 3.8 RS if they're in similar price range. Also, Challenge Stradale or 3.8RS over regular 430. Even for a road use, the excitement giving by an lightweight Fiats are truly amazing and intoxicating.

Last edited by datax; 05-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
frayed
Race Car

Thanks Alan.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
How does a downstream component (cats) get to damage the engine components upstream? That should be of concern to anybody with aftermarket headers and cats if that's a repeatable condition!!
The standard F430 (not to be confused with the 430 Scuderia, and 430 Scuderia 16M) has catalytic converters inside the headers, and the headers are shaped so the cats sit higher than the engine head exhaust outlets, these cats are right next to the engine heads. There is a documented (pictures and all) F430 where these cats broke, and pieces of the ceramic core went into the cylinder, causing a total engine failure. Rebuilding an engine is never cheap.

The 16M and Scuderia have cats, but they are far away from the headers, they are at the end of the car where the axles are located.

A ***** driven F430 might be reliable, a non-driven F430 is very reliable. Be prepare to pay if you want to drive it as a sport car instead of a boulevard cruiser.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Well I guess you are entitled to your opinion. Personally I think overrev shifts and down shifts are abuse.
You can have alot of fun with an F430 without abusing it. Personally I am not willing to abuse my toys. Have fun with them yes abuse them no. Yeah a couple of engines have been damaged. But it's rare. A Scud is a car looking for a place to light. It's not a race car, it's not a great street car, its really a poser. IMHO.

Quick Reply: Started shopping again, looking at F430s and GT3s