Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

FS: 2011 GT3 (Guards Red)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

People usually say they bought the GT3 cars for the feel not just the speed. So are we talking about the speed or the experience. I (in my mind at least) could or would no justify the price delta to step up to a GT3. Tried multiple substitutes including a 02 4S. Awesome car but just did not do it for me. If I had just bought a new or used GT car at the time I actually would have saved money over what I lost on the substitutes. On the other hand if you really want an RS nothing else will likely satisfy that craving. Fortunately or unfortunately there will always be that next great thing on the horizon. It's one of the things that keeps life interesting. Look to the left and you'll see how well I resisted that temptation.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Alright, I need all your guys's advice.
I struck a reasonable deal (not smokin' deal which I'm known for) on this vehicle. I want to know if you would buy it? Why or why not? Forget about price. Don't worry about decals. Only OEM pieces included are OEM red wheels/tires.
I want a 4.0 or 991 RS ultimately, but none readily available. I drive my cars, no collector here. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

http://porschedallas.parkplacetexas....ition_id=10426
kyrocks, its a nice car, but IMHO you should not pay a premium for *any* of the GMG " upgrades, if anything you should get a discount!

everyone knows that mods are a zero sum game, and when you come to sell this car, you are unlikely to recover any premium you paid ... the fact that it has stoptech's and GMG wheels etc is nice, but it will affect your ability to move the car at a later date ...
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

No sir. Just wheels.
I think that is a problem later on ...

go crazy on your 3 ... pop in a LWFW + Guards LSD, add EVOMsit tune, perhaps toss on some brembo type IIIs or put a stoptech on your car if you like ... and save some money!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:10 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

go crazy on your 3 ... pop in a LWFW + Guards LSD, add EVOMsit tune, perhaps toss on some brembo type IIIs or put a stoptech on your car if you like ... and save some money!

... and get guys to say "wow, that's pretty fast for a lowly GT3"
Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

dripping with the appropriate amount of tongue-in-cheek derision of course!

he could even drop some serious cash on a 4.x engine upgrade as well!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No sir. Just wheels.
negotiating tactic laying in the wait... something like "well if all the stock pieces came with the car I would have an easier time justifying the purchase price as I could theoretically put the car back to stock and sell it, but as it stands with no stock parts, resale is somewhat limited in scope and in price since it is so modded"

It's funny...everything you guys are saying (both pro and con) I have thought about.

Yes, I want an RS. I am at a different stage in life now than I was when I bought the GT3. Horstair, RL or not, I want an RS and I talked myself out of it a couple years ago. Am I bored with the GT3? nope. Am I slow in the GT3? Depends who you ask. You guys are right - I need to decide of the delta in price is really worth it.

When I drove the GMG GT3 RS, it was just so right. The best decision financially is to hold on to my GT3 and mod a little here and there, no doubt. Ask me in 5 minutes, my mind may change again!!
buy it... life is short... given that the 3.8 RS pricing is roughly 120-130 or so this car at 140 is not idiotic unless it is your life savings or the like which I presume it is not.

Originally Posted by mooty
stop lying.
just buy the fkg rs.
drive it. if you dont want it sell it.
you might end up losing your shirt, but you will have it out of your system and live happily ever after. and i am not joking.
agreed

kyrocks, its a nice car, but IMHO you should not pay a premium for *any* of the GMG " upgrades, if anything you should get a discount!

everyone knows that mods are a zero sum game, and when you come to sell this car, you are unlikely to recover any premium you paid ... the fact that it has stoptech's and GMG wheels etc is nice, but it will affect your ability to move the car at a later date ...
I think the upgrades are worth something.. not as much as park place thinks they are worth but something... no doubt that the headers and exhaust with the GIAC flash are adding power... They would be worth more if sale included stock parts but as it stands if your use is track oriented, there is upside to the mods and as a result they are worth something... to someone... if they are worth nothing to you and the seller is willing to wait for the right buyer, the right buyer is one that sees value in the mods being "done"... Northvan bought a nicely modded 997.1 GT3 with receipts for $40K worth of mods and he paid above market when compared to stock examples, but his intent is to use the crap out of the mods and I think he saw the value in paying x over market value as the mods were what he would have eventually done anyway. To say they are worth nothing is both accurate and a fallacy -- value is in the eye of the beholder so to speak. Do not feel guilty for paying over for mods or letting a car you really want slip away over the "I am not paying for mods" that I would likely do anyway. We all know it is cheaper to buy one done than to do one yourself.

put 10-15K into your car with the stuff mentioned above and you still are not addressing the main issue as to why the "RS felt so right" - gearing. the gearing of the RS over the GT3 is worth 5 figures if you try to re create it correctly... I believe the RS to have a 3.89 ring and pinion and a year ago or so you could not buy that ring and pinion from Porsche without buying an entire gearbox is what I was told. If that has changed add a $3000 min ring and pinion to the parts you would throw at your gt3...

GT3 at 105 and RS at 130 -- is the delta worth it... for me iit would be
are you comfortable with the outlay -- seems like it
what are the gmg bits worth to you -- 5-10K? who knows but something like that
RS at 140 or under is worth the jump in my opinon
will you lose money on it -- of course -- we all are.

I vote do it if you can stirke a fair deal, and I think it is a $140K car to the right buyer if the stock 3.8RS are really $130K now.
I suspect parkplace would accept a deal at or very near 140 - they would be foolish not to...

Target acquuired, now take the shot
one shot one kill
Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
negotiating tactic laying in the wait... something like "well if all the stock pieces came with the car I would have an easier time justifying the purchase price as I could theoretically put the car back to stock and sell it, but as it stands with no stock parts, resale is somewhat limited in scope and in price since it is so modded"

buy it... life is short... given that the 3.8 RS pricing is roughly 120-130 or so this car at 140 is not idiotic unless it is your life savings or the like which I presume it is not.

agreed

I think the upgrades are worth something.. not as much as park place thinks they are worth but something... no doubt that the headers and exhaust with the GIAC flash are adding power... They would be worth more if sale included stock parts but as it stands if your use is track oriented, there is upside to the mods and as a result they are worth something... to someone... if they are worth nothing to you and the seller is willing to wait for the right buyer, the right buyer is one that sees value in the mods being "done"... Northvan bought a nicely modded 997.1 GT3 with receipts for $40K worth of mods and he paid above market when compared to stock examples, but his intent is to use the crap out of the mods and I think he saw the value in paying x over market value as the mods were what he would have eventually done anyway. To say they are worth nothing is both accurate and a fallacy -- value is in the eye of the beholder so to speak. Do not feel guilty for paying over for mods or letting a car you really want slip away over the "I am not paying for mods" that I would likely do anyway. We all know it is cheaper to buy one done than to do one yourself.

put 10-15K into your car with the stuff mentioned above and you still are not addressing the main issue as to why the "RS felt so right" - gearing. the gearing of the RS over the GT3 is worth 5 figures if you try to re create it correctly... I believe the RS to have a 3.89 ring and pinion and a year ago or so you could not buy that ring and pinion from Porsche without buying an entire gearbox is what I was told. If that has changed add a $3000 min ring and pinion to the parts you would throw at your gt3...

GT3 at 105 and RS at 130 -- is the delta worth it... for me iit would be
are you comfortable with the outlay -- seems like it
what are the gmg bits worth to you -- 5-10K? who knows but something like that
RS at 140 or under is worth the jump in my opinon
will you lose money on it -- of course -- we all are.

I vote do it if you can stirke a fair deal, and I think it is a $140K car to the right buyer if the stock 3.8RS are really $130K now.
I suspect parkplace would accept a deal at or very near 140 - they would be foolish not to...

Target acquuired, now take the shot
one shot one kill
+1 on the RS final R&P. I think its overstating it that my remarks are fallacious and inaccurate... while its true that there is value in such mods, as seen through the eye of the beholder (the seller and presumably the buyer) years and years of experience on RL shows that you seldom recover anywhere near the value of such modifications, and additionally, such modifications (especially in the absence of the original parts) can drastically narrow your market, IMHO, YMMV...

I think if he sees value in the mods, and would do them anyway its a deal ... but he might have to take a bath when/if it comes to resale ... unless he can find another beholder...

just stating my opinion, you dont have to agree with it, but you dont have to **** on it either....
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
my crystal ball is cloudy lately. but if i had to guess the 991 GT3 will help stablize value for current GT3 variants.

look at the price of 991 today. how much do you think 991 GT3 and RS will cost? $200k? i dont know. as much as i love to throw money out the door and worship porsches, i dont think i will cross the $200k limit on p cars, short of CGT.
ADR, but I disagree. The S-GT3 delta for the 997.2 was about $27K. And now it's going to be $100K? No way. Even if Porsche gets greedy and ups that diff to $30-35K, with the base 991S at $96K that means a base 991 GT3 at around $130K. That's my prediction, anyway.....
Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
ADR, but I disagree. The S-GT3 delta for the 997.2 was about $27K. And now it's going to be $100K? No way. Even if Porsche gets greedy and ups that diff to $30-35K , with the base 991S at $96K that means a 991 GT3 at around $130K. That's my prediction, anyway.....
+1 I see no reason why the 991 GT3 base should not be similar to previous years, the 991S isn't substantively different from 997S base right?

I just dont think its going to be a 'real' GT3 that will attract our particular 'minority' unless AP pulls a really large white rabbit out of his hat ...
Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

+1 on the RS final R&P. I think its overstating it that my remarks are fallacious and inaccurate... while its true that there is value in such mods, as seen through the eye of the beholder (the seller and presumably the buyer) years and years of experience on RL shows that you seldom recover anywhere near the value of such modifications, and additionally, such modifications (especially in the absence of the original parts) can drastically narrow your market, IMHO, YMMV...

I think if he sees value in the mods, and would do them anyway its a deal ... but he might have to take a bath when/if it comes to resale ... unless he can find another beholder...

just stating my opinion, you dont have to agree with it, but you dont have to **** on it either....
larry... I must write poorly enough that I am easy to misunderstand... by no means was I ****ting on your point and I acutally think we agree...

I did not address resale in any fashion other than having the stock parts would be advantageous -- and I totally agree that resale will more difficult with a modded car that cannot be put back to stock with non existant stock parts.

I said that your remarks stating the mods were worth nothing is both a fallacy AND accurate, not inaccurate... what I was attempting to get across is that they are worth nothing, even less than nothing, to a buyer that does not value them (obviously), and worth something to someone that does.

In any event, I do not **** on anyones posts intentionally.

But if OP is going to track his car, IMHO only, the RS is worth pursuing up to 140ish as opposed to putting $15K of work into a gt3 if he is not addressing the gearing which I presume is why the RS "felt so right" to him.

My apologies for not being clearer and leaving you with the impresison that I am a post ****ter
Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
larry... I must write poorly enough that I am easy to misunderstand... by no means was I ****ting on your point and I acutally think we agree...

I did not address resale in any fashion other than having the stock parts would be advantageous -- and I totally agree that resale will more difficult with a modded car that cannot be put back to stock with non existant stock parts.

I said that your remarks stating the mods were worth nothing is both a fallacy AND accurate, not inaccurate... what I was attempting to get across is that they are worth nothing, even less than nothing, to a buyer that does not value them (obviously), and worth something to someone that does.

In any event, I do not **** on anyones posts intentionally.

But if OP is going to track his car, IMHO only, the RS is worth pursuing up to 140ish as opposed to putting $15K of work into a gt3 if he is not addressing the gearing which I presume is why the RS "felt so right" to him.

My apologies for not being clearer and leaving you with the impresison that I am a post ****ter
PJS, you above all are not a "****ter"

p.s I thought you missed out the "in" in "accurate"
Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've toiled over this issue more nights than I care to remember. The LWFW + R&P upgrades I did were fantastic IMO. I love driving the car more now than before. If you go that route do yourself a favor and go with a really good shop in the US like Orbit for that. That's who did mine before I shipped the car and I am very happy with it many miles later.

I'm waiting for the 991GT3 to come along and when it does if it has one or more of the following I'll be turned off:

1.) Too many cpu's and gizmo's going on.
2.) They can offer a PDK but I better have a manual option.
3.) Nicely optioned car (no bling please) better be below $200k.

If not, no big deal, I love my GT3 and if the right used 4.0 doesn't come along I will turn it over to Manthey for the works.

Good luck with your decision. These are great problems to have.
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

PJS, you above all are not a "****ter"

glad that is resolved
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

+1 I see no reason why the 991 GT3 base should not be similar to previous years, the 991S isn't substantively different from 997S base right?

I just dont think its going to be a 'real' GT3 that will attract our particular 'minority' unless AP pulls a really large white rabbit out of his hat ...
Base price on the 991S has gone up about $10K partly due to increased content so a previously $113K GT3 should go up about the same or probably slightly more.

Obviously, your second point remains to be seen. But I just keep coming back to the fact that Porsche will now be homologating and racing their new supposedly not "real" GT3. So are they planning to give up on production based race classes with a non-competitive, unreliable, and inferior-to-the-previous-car POS and thereby cede the field to improved BMWs, Ferraris, Corvettes, et al? Maybe, but I doubt it. Now, whether that new car appeals to the current "minority" is another question entirely, but I think it will be faster, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-17-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
I've toiled over this issue more nights than I care to remember. The LWFW + R&P upgrades I did were fantastic IMO. I love driving the car more now than before. If you go that route do yourself a favor and go with a really good shop in the US like Orbit for that. That's who did mine before I shipped the car and I am very happy with it many miles later.

I'm waiting for the 991GT3 to come along and when it does if it has one or more of the following I'll be turned off:

1.) Too many cpu's and gizmo's going on.
2.) They can offer a PDK but I better have a manual option.
3.) Nicely optioned car (no bling please) better be below $200k.

If not, no big deal, I love my GT3 and if the right used 4.0 doesn't come along I will turn it over to Manthey for the works.

Good luck with your decision. These are great problems to have.
You better start getting on a first name base with the Manthey guys

Quick Reply: FS: 2011 GT3 (Guards Red)