Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Your help on my GT3RS purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
invisible-z
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your help on my GT3RS purchase

I have been looking at buying a 997.1 GT3RS for some time now and have located one which I find to be quite decent in condition. The car is a green GT3RS.

MY 2008
10,000 miles
Porsche Service Record

Paint Discoloration:
Upon inspection of the car's paint job, I realize that the exposed metal panel of the interior side of the driver's door (i.e. sit in driver's seat, open door, metal panels of door visible to driver in seated position) has discoloration. The color is much lighter compared to the exterior color. There was no exterior color on exterior paint. The passenger side door show such problem. What does this signify?

The Porsche badge on the logo also has discoloration (gold turned almost Hershey's color). What does this signify?

Odometer dial back
Is it possible for the dealer to dial back the odometer? How can I verify the odometer readings?

Past Driver
The car hasn't been tracked (so the salesman say....) but was driven aggressively on the streets. How do I check previous driver's driving characteristics? Will DME readings be meaningful at all?

That's all I got for now. What else should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Always ask for DME readout....also check for RMS oil leak, they are notorious for that...As far as the dial back I suppose everything is possible ...as far as the paint ..Can not help you there , you may want to have a bodyshop measure thickness....
BTW : I am selling mine to a dealer so if you are interested PM me.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

how much do they want for it?

would the discolorization be from clear bra wrap?

DME will reveal if the car was raped.....

As long as the car shows no signs of repaint and you inspect the rear main seal, things should be smooth sailing.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd recommend checking out Malmasri's- it's mint.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

If no ECU readout and no original paint = run.
All that will be revealed in a PPI.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

The odo can be dialed back by sophisticated programmers and even PAG won't be able to detect it. You have two recourse:

(1) The engine logs events in hours--are the hours logged plausible given the car's advertised use? For example, 300 engine hours and an odo of 5k miles averages out to 17mph over the life of the car. Plausible (but not necessarily credible) for a car that spends most of its time in city traffic but implausible if it's mostly done highways and tracks. (caveat: if the seller has doctored the ECU he may have doctored the engine hours as well--less likely given the added sophistication, but plausible as you can imagine)

(2) Get a full service history from a trustworthy dealer showing mileage at each service and the corresponding work performed. Mileage accumulation for this type of cars is generally linear, barring significant events such as a major, "mothball" type repairs (or worse, ECU tampering). Extrapolate from there (e.g. 500 miles/month) and multiply that by the age of the car to get an estimate of what the "true" mileage is to this day. Price your offer according to that mileage.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 AM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Can you post up some pictures of the discoloration?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 PM
QueenCity911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint meter for sure. Probably in the 3.5 to 4.5 mil range

Clear bra could affect it but the badge change doesn't make sense.

Ditto on the DME.

Quick Reply: Your help on my GT3RS purchase