Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

he needs to negotiate a trade with her then
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Yes, loosen and tighten with no drama. Works perfectly. Precision tool. Gorgeous piece of machinery.

That video is me using the Armstrong 6:1 multiplier. Since that video went "viral" (well, 28K+ views ... : ) I had an influx of people wanting to buy the thing. I'm still waiting for the shill / commission check from Armstrong.
I'm using the Snap-on 4:1 multiplier. Slightly cheaper, requires you to use more of your manly muscles...
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No torque multiplier. Can't torque ?

Buy a ferrari. Porsche is a MAN's car. I love the fact that Porsche some how came up with a natural selection. No chicken or midget chicken can get the work done, so not entitled to a Porsche.
Somehow the history always repeats itself :0
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 AM
oebb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
If you didn't have to press the brake pedal and have the car jacked to take the CL's off they wouldn't be bad at all.

With the GTS I had a choice of CL or 5 lug...wifey really liked the look of the CL Spider wheels and I've never seen her more adamant about wheels before. Randy and Peter talked me into the CL's so I caved for the wifey.

After living with CL's I wish I had fought and got the 5 lugs.
You don't have to press the brake pedal, for the rears the parking brake seems to be enough.

For the fronts you can just raise the opposite rear wheel of the car to put more weight on the front wheel you're loosening. I.e if you're removing the front left wheel, raise the rear right wheel.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you didn't have to press the brake pedal and have the car jacked to take the CL's off they wouldn't be bad at all.

With the GTS I had a choice of CL or 5 lug...wifey really liked the look of the CL Spider wheels and I've never seen her more adamant about wheels before. Randy and Peter talked me into the CL's so I caved for the wifey.

Originally Posted by oebb
You don't have to press the brake pedal, for the rears the parking brake seems to be enough.

For the fronts you can just raise the opposite rear wheel of the car to put more weight on the front wheel you're loosening. I.e if you're removing the front left wheel, raise the rear right wheel.
Unless things have changed again, the factory sets out a laborious process of centering, torquing, releasing and re-torquing the wheel off the ground.

Also, if you're at the track, the rears may be too hot to use the parking brake shoes.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

You deferred to your spouse ... that's a win. : )

As for hassle-factor ... I'm pretty sure if you want to take a wheel off, five slug or centerlock, you'll want the car jacked up off the ground. At least, that's how dad did it and it's good enough for me.

For depressing the pedal, I use an Irwin "clamp spreader" ($30 from Home Depot) ... any problem that's solved for $30, on a track car, I ignore.

My "beef" with the centerlocks is that Porsche didn't do the whole job. They got half way there, but the splines are crappy, the nut itself is delicate and complex, it's a mess covered in a schmear of expensive grease, the anodized finish isn't durable, the dust cap is junk, looks cheap, it's slow to remove (and easily scratched or dented) ... it's as if they never once actually used the centerlocks ... if the designers or engineers even once had to own the thing they built, they'd be quick to change it to be useful and rewarding to use and a pleasure to own. This is a symptom of many failures which have pushed their noses into the Porsche engineering tent in recent years.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
CL is the best, so say the GT3-blind.

I prefer my 5 studs or 5 lugs, I can play with spacers, large access to wheels, and 5 lugs going loose at the same time is 5 times less likely that one CL going loose.

I have secretly timed you guys changing wheels, and even at changing wheels, I beat all the CL Aero Beetles despite of your fancy $$$ tools.

Brilliant minds would swap to 5-lugs, but that requires a brilliant mind.
i know reter and izzone have CL mastered while drinking beer. but CL is such a POS on the street cars. i just greased the nuts the other day. what a fk'g mess. the CL is a lot worse then PDK or pASM or PSD or TC.... i'll even take the wart and add 100 lbs to ditch the CL.

those who think they can change these CL fast enough really haven't changed enough tires/wheels. try flipping through 3 sets of tires in one day by yourself on track while running double sessions with brakes glowing red in bright day light.

and worst yet, i had my wife come out to step on the brake pedal for me so i can put the nuts back on. she goes... "why does the car only have 1000 miles? didn' tyou have the car since 2010....?".....

that was close.... "the odometer broke, you know how those freaking german cars are... that's why i buy you honda."

oh, yes, i have the tools to get them on and off and i can do that pretty fast. but it's still a chore. reter, feel free to fly out here and be my tire man.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Yes it is, posted here by the owner krisa9977.
I am going to merge the threads.

Rad knock it off will ya'? There's no one here that likes the street implementation of the CLs, and we do have a Rennlist first with Doug's brilliant CL to 5-lug conversion.

Go troll in the "which Carnauba wax you used to your Ferrari today" forums.
you need to try bikini wax on black cars. works wonders. really, put it on, wait 20 min., buff out with rotary.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
edvard munch's scream just sold last week, iirc. did you buy it?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
This one has not seen a car wash, much less a wax job since 2011.

Clean cars are for "Cars and Coffee", Car Shows, Coffee Cup and Moving Chicane Cup.

I need a Mooty in South Florida to do car detailing, or Reter's handy man, or Randy as the handy man. I have no car cleaning skills.
how funny.
took max out to daddy/max car and coffee up pt reyes, then RS goes to mooty's spa. yes, CL off when i wash cars.
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

forgot car and coffee
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 AM
MrDonut
Track Day

For depressing the pedal, I use an Irwin "clamp spreader" ($30 from Home Depot) ... any problem that's solved for $30, on a track car, I ignore.
Carrera GT, how do you position the clamp spreader? I'm slow and I'm missing how you use this as a brake depressor. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 AM
oebb
Advanced

Unless things have changed again, the factory sets out a laborious process of centering, torquing, releasing and re-torquing the wheel off the ground.

Also, if you're at the track, the rears may be too hot to use the parking brake shoes.
Didn't know the part about the wheel having to be off the ground for the torquing, releasing and re-torquing. I always did that part with the car back on the ground. Not sure how big of an issue it is?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oebb
Didn't know the part about the wheel having to be off the ground for the torquing, releasing and re-torquing. I always did that part with the car back on the ground. Not sure how big of an issue it is?
Here's one reference, or email the service manager at your dealer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...read-this.html

ps. Your car warranty is void.

Quick Reply: Centerlock failure at Nur