Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Engine belt noise - from Turbo forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 PM
T_Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine belt noise - from Turbo forum

Hey guys...this is a post from the 997 Turbo forum but I know that the GT3 and Turbo share some similar components.
Have any of you heard something like this?

I heard something similar to this on my old B5 Audi S4 and two weeks later, the tensioner bearing seized up then the belt torn and flung around all of the place tearing stuff up. It was not pretty.

JH911 said the AC compressor has been replaced and doesn't change when you turn off and on the AC...anyways, I'll let JH911 know I posted it up on here.

You can really hear it at 1:40.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=91549

Just trying to help and thanks in advance!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:20 PM
JC2GT3
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 997.1 GT3 started making the exact same noise after my local dealership did my major maintenance a couple of months ago. It made the sound when the engine was cold, then it would get worse after it warmed up. They finally figured out that they put on the wrong belt. Apparently there are 2 different belt part numbers, depending on when the car was made. Now the belt makes the noise yours makes when the car is cold, but it goes away after engine gets to operating temp. Hopefully it will disappear entirely after the belt wears for a while. It appears to be a non-issue.

I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Engine belt noise - from Turbo forum