Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Manual Hood Release on the .1 models?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No you get Randy promise much beer and he'll do it.

He will def work for alcohol.

Originally Posted by mobonic
the card should be in your manual, and its not the signal its the fog light that you can use the card for.
So how do you get the signal out then if that's the best place to gain access to the cable?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
What's the procedure for that? Where exactly do you need to put the card to loosen the signal?
The front turn signal lights pop out with a credit card, I'll show you

Then the release wire is right behind it

But easiest is to jump car through fuse box

If car is dead....you have to use trunk release on key, not internal release to open hood
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

This..
Old 05-01-2016, 04:12 PM
blueblast
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izzone
The front turn signal lights pop out with a credit card, I'll show you

Then the release wire is right behind it

But easiest is to jump car through fuse box

If car is dead....you have to use trunk release on key, not internal release to open hood
I have a dead battery today as well. The Fuse box method DID NOT WORK.

I've pulled the left wheel liner and cannot locate any release. Checked behind the turn signal as well. None. Izzone, can you post a picture or a more precise explanation because what you're saying does not match up with with I'm seeing.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:17 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Use the remote on your key if you using fuse box method to open trunk. Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 04:47 PM
blueblast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Yes, I did that. Did not work N=i to 5 i'th times.

All along I was using the spare key because the first key was stuck in the ignition lock. I removed the first key from the ignition, and then tried again, and bingo.

WFT is wrong with Porsche? Is there any possible rationale justification for this? What possible benefit is gained by doing that that is not completely outweighed by the huge costs to the owner?
The following 2 users liked this post by blueblast:
MSQ (04-11-2021), Robocop305 (04-12-2021)
Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

It was nice when both front/rear lids had cable actuated releases vs electric. Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 04:56 PM
blueblast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Yes, I did that. Did not work N=i to 5 i'th times.

All along I was using the spare key because the first key was stuck in the ignition lock. I removed the first key from the ignition, and then tried again, and bingo.

WFT is wrong with Porsche? Is there any possible rationale justification for this? What possible benefit is gained by doing that that is not completely outweighed by the huge costs to the owner?
Old 04-11-2021, 09:24 PM
MSQ
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How did you get the key that was stuck in the ignition due to dead battery removed? I tried the "jump the fuse box" and also used the spare key and ZIPPO. nothing. I then tried the hood release that was on the key that is stuck in the ignition, same thing - nothing. I have no clue now how to get the key out of the ignition AND my car is dead AND the steering wheel is locked (so I can't roll it out to flatbed it.
What a dumb *** design.
How did you finally solve this i.e. how were you able to get the key out of the ignition?
I tried even with the "fuse box" jumped anti did not work.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,107 Posts

Originally Posted by MSQ
How did you get the key that was stuck in the ignition due to dead battery removed? I tried the "jump the fuse box" and also used the spare key and ZIPPO. nothing. I then tried the hood release that was on the key that is stuck in the ignition, same thing - nothing. I have no clue now how to get the key out of the ignition AND my car is dead AND the steering wheel is locked (so I can't roll it out to flatbed it.
What a dumb *** design.
How did you finally solve this i.e. how were you able to get the key out of the ignition?
I tried even with the "fuse box" jumped anti did not work.
Did you try post 19 and 32 in this thread?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-ignition.html
The following users liked this post:
MSQ (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 10:10 PM
MSQ
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Did you try post 19 and 32 in this thread?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-ignition.html
Thanks. I can go back up to car storage place (3rd time) and try this, that should at least in theory get my key out.

The engineers who designed this **** should be fired.....how hard can you make it to get at a dead battery and how hard can you make it to remove a key from the ignition of a car with dead battery, and how hard can you make it to turn the wheel of a car with a dead battery. True moron engineers. I've never seen so much trouble created over a dead battery. The "locking you out of the place you need access the most - the battery compartment" gets the Moron of The Year Award and locking the key in the ignition and locking and steering wheel is close #2 & #3
The following 2 users liked this post by MSQ:
Johnb55 (03-16-2022), Robocop305 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:19 PM
Robert Jay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your final paragraph is reassuring to me, a nubee to Porsche, who disconnected the battery to remove a door panel. Started raining and I shut the hood. Opps. I figured I could just use my 99$ jumper box I got at Walmart’s but to my disparity it did not give it enough juice. I thought that it was because of the disconnected battery so it is tood to hear that if I get some proper cables that I should still be able to use the fuse box connection since all of my tools including my new hydronic jack are safely stored away in the front trunk.
The following users liked this post:
MSQ (04-12-2021)
Old 03-16-2022, 12:56 PM
Johnb55
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same problem with my 997.1 GT2.
It has a LiFePo Battery with a low voltage cutoff (Voltphreaks). The battery is now dead and the car will not respond to 12V on the hood fusebox post and a ground on the seat bolt. I was about to remove my left front wheel to look for an emergency release behind the fender liner, but I have wheel locks on and the key for the wheel locks is of course... in the front trunk!!! I think the 12V won't get past the internal battery cutoff and I can't remove the LF wheel. Now what??

An update: I was able to get the trunk open by hooking up an automotive 12V battery to the fusebox hood post and seat bolt with jumper cables. Holding the trunk release on the key fob then popped it open. Previously I was using a big automotive 2A - 60A battery charger. that didn't work. PHEW!

Last edited by Johnb55; 03-16-2022 at 01:39 PM. Reason: update
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnb55:
405 (03-16-2022), jonwb (03-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Manual Hood Release on the .1 models?