Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PBOC Sebring Springfest May 19 & 20

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Mike at that Daytona event I ran a brand new set of MPSC, I needed a tire that could tolerate loads on the banking at Daytona, so I got the 345/30R19 MPSC that was built as the stock tire for the Viper ACR, a car 500 lbs heavier than my Fiat and generating an additional 600 # of downforce on the rear axle at 150 mph.

I liked the MPSC at Daytona, ran several 2:01s with an ill alignment that forced me to reduce gas before entering T4, while the boys stayed flat-out until the start/finish line.

Then at the next event with just 6 HC on these tires at Homestead Grand-Am setup, the best I could run was a 1:30.249 with lots of on/off feelings at the limits, next day I ran a set of very old A6 (17 HC) and my times dropped to 1:26.7. A 3.5 secs difference at such a short track is not something I like that much.

I ran Trofeo this past weekend for just 20 minutes. On the road they felt like a normal street tire, no noises, soft sprung. At Sebring, they were slippery on the first lap, then gained grip on lap 2, by lap 3 they were coming alive, but the car was in a limp-mode with the biggest intrusion from all the stability systems due to an error reported on the e-diff. The Trofeo have more grip than the RE-11 I ran at Sebring the month before in more heat, they also felt better than MPSC, but they have nothing for A6 or Slicks.

I'm getting another set for the Cayman to keep testing them, so far I like them, as I can drive on them, and produce decent grip.

Trofeos are expensive.
rad check email

nick session is last of the day saturday, he forgot a SD card

mine is second on sunday
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
rad check email

nick session is last of the day saturday, he forgot a SD card

mine is second on sunday
Confirmed, GT3 3.8 beats the RS 3.8 out of T7, it gains 0.35 secs over the RS in a small segment of 0.3 miles between entry to T7 and exit of T8.

The RS puts a 0.1 secs (average advantage) at Bishop bend over the 3.8, it is not that much of an advantage as I was expecting. Nick seems to be using 2nd gear out of T13, because he enters Bishop bend almost 3mph higher compared to the RS 3.8, but the RS gets some of that speed back during Bishop reaching 2mph higher speeds, but the segment difference is too small.

Top Speed between T16 and T17 shows the 3.8 GT3 with a 1.5mph higher speed than the 3.8 GT3 RS.

Here is an interesting fact. I placed a drag race segment between T16 and T17, where the cars are not turning and not braking, just full gas. In this segment, every single lap from the Greek (GT3 3.8) beats Izzone's best (GT3 RS) on segment time (average 0.16 secs) and top speed.

The RS has better acceleration between 100mph and 125mph.

Out of T7, the difference in acceleration puts the 3.8 GT3 with an equivalent 40Hp more horsepower than the 3.8 GT3 RS. I'm using both cars at 3,350 weight and the correct gearing and tire information.

The TBL difference is just 0.165 secs with advantage RS, 2:20.90 vs. 2:21.155.

Biggest RS advantage is the segment that includes entry to T3, T4, T5 and T6, the RS gets 0.45 secs difference over the GT3 in just a little over 1/2 mile (0.6 miles). Nick seems to be using 2nd on T5, as it shows better acceleration, and once again a difference of about 30 Hp. This segment is proof that the RS 3.8 is a better autocross car, because it doesn't accelerate as good as the GT3, and still beats the GT3 in time by 0.45 secs. Revealing.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 880 Posts

Rad, with all due respect, this is a totally facile comparison. Different cars, different drivers, on different days? Come on. The only reasonably credible comparison would be the same driver. Put Randy in both cars, for example, THEN you can compare data. Driver style, technique, PSM on or off, TC on or off, etc makes a HUGE difference.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 05-22-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

I ran Trofeo this past weekend for just 20 minutes. On the road they felt like a normal street tire, no noises, soft sprung. At Sebring, they were slippery on the first lap, then gained grip on lap 2, by lap 3 they were coming alive, but the car was in a limp-mode with the biggest intrusion from all the stability systems due to an error reported on the e-diff. The Trofeo have more grip than the RE-11 I ran at Sebring the month before in more heat, they also felt better than MPSC, but they have nothing for A6 or Slicks.

I'm getting another set for the Cayman to keep testing them, so far I like them, as I can drive on them, and produce decent grip.

Trofeos are expensive.
You just described the NT01, except the expensive part. Can be driven to the track, just as fast (or faster) than every tire you just described. Why aren't you running 18" NT01's (245/275) for the Cayman?

MPSC like heat, plain and simple....too fickle and too expensive IMO.

If they offered NT01 in optimal 18" sizes for the GT3/RS crowd, everybody who runs RA1's would pick up 1-1.5 seconds with their eyes closed. Most underrated track tire out there. There's a reason they can't ever seem to keep up with the 275-35-18 demand every track season...
Old 05-23-2012, 12:40 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Rad, with all due respect, this is a totally facile comparison. Different cars, different drivers, on different days? Come on. The only reasonably credible comparison would be the same driver. Put Randy in both cars, for example, THEN you can compare data. Driver style, technique, PSM on or off, TC on or off, etc makes a HUGE difference.
Agree, best way to do it is with a group of good drivers, driving each car same day and same conditions.

I'm anyway impressed with the acceleration in the standard GT3, Nick reached 146 mph before T17 a few times, which is very close to my top speeds last month with the Scuderia on slicks at 149-151 mph.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Agree, best way to do it is with a group of good drivers, driving each car same day and same conditions.

I'm anyway impressed with the acceleration in the standard GT3, Nick reached 146 mph before T17 a few times, which is very close to my top speeds last month with the Scuderia on slicks at 149-151 mph.
These guys all have varying levels of disclosed & undisclosed mods to these cars.

Or...he's just carrying more speed into & out of T16 than Randy.

Either way, I don't think either of their respective data has any bearing on which car is in the abstract quicker at Sebring.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
If they offered NT01 in optimal 18" sizes for the GT3/RS crowd, everybody who runs RA1's would pick up 1-1.5 seconds with their eyes closed. Most underrated track tire out there. There's a reason they can't ever seem to keep up with the 275-35-18 demand every track season...
They work...

I know of 3 people, one personally, who ran them on 997 GT3's with no issues related to ABS. I'm switching after my remaining set of hoosiers are done.

Apparently the revs per mile is within the 5% margin, despite the height difference between that and stock. In a perfect world, they would have that 305 rear, but the 315/245 does work.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
You just described the NT01, except the expensive part. Can be driven to the track, just as fast (or faster) than every tire you just described. Why aren't you running 18" NT01's (245/275) for the Cayman?

MPSC like heat, plain and simple....too fickle and too expensive IMO.

NT-01 are not as fast as MPSC (not the N-spec ones).

I highly doubt they are faster than shaved RA-1's either, though I can only confirm the first part as I've tested them back to back. There are regular street tires within 1-1.5 seconds of NT-01's.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Dez, properly broken in NT01's are as fast as shaved RA1's. They are in essence the same tire.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know that, I thought shaved RA-1 were closer to R6 level and on par with MPSC. I thought the NT-01 was somewhere in between the RA-1 and R888.

What do you think about the NT-01 in relation to non- N-Spec MPSC?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I didn't know that, I thought shaved RA-1 were closer to R6 level and on par with MPSC. I thought the NT-01 was somewhere in between the RA-1 and R888.

I think the MPSC works really well on some cars but not on others, and I don't know why. Anecdotally, it seems (to me) that they work well on relatively stiff cars with stiffer suspension packages, on relatively grippy tracks. For example, I rode in a fully prepared 993 at Wattkins Glen recently, on a very cool blustery dayy, on MPSC's. After one lap they were fantastic, and very consistent, despite the ambient temps. I have also ridden in and driiven GT3's where they also can work well. But in other cases they suck. And Mdrums also seems to hhave had that sucky experience last weekend with his relativelyy softer car on a slippery Sebring.

So I am having a difficult time answering your question, simply because my MPSC experiences have been all over the map, whereas NT01's, properly broken in & worn down a bit/shaved, have been fantastic.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

I'm with Dave here. Once the tread is gone on the RA-1 and NT-01 it's basically the same tire. Not as fast as a R6 or the "real" MPSC's

I ran Cup's all last year on my car. They are a finiky tire but when they are right they are the fastest treaded tire I've ever driven. Even in small 235/295 size they were amazing. But anything less than ideal conditions and they were miserable.

I switched to Nitto's. My only complaint is I got one of the tires hot in a 30 min session and kept going not knowing it was coming apart as a result. Pretty much killed that one tire in 8 heat cycles which I was not expecting. Not sure if it was because it was still pretty new or me playing with pressures or what. The other 3 are still ok. I'm thinking my next set I might shave even though they only start at 6/32. What I do know is that my comfort level with the car grew more in 3 days on Nitto's than all of last year going through 2 sets of cups.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Dez, Stick with your tires. We dont need you going any faster. I already have to deal with Jenks catching up....
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think the MPSC works really well on some cars but not on others, and I don't know why. Anecdotally, it seems (to me) that they work well on relatively stiff cars with stiffer suspension packages, on relatively grippy tracks. For example, I rode in a fully prepared 993 at Wattkins Glen recently, on a very cool blustery dayy, on MPSC's. After one lap they were fantastic, and very consistent, despite the ambient temps. I have also ridden in and driiven GT3's where they also can work well. But in other cases they suck. And Mdrums also seems to hhave had that sucky experience last weekend with his relativelyy softer car on a slippery Sebring.

So I am having a difficult time answering your question, simply because my MPSC experiences have been all over the map, whereas NT01's, properly broken in & worn down a bit/shaved, have been fantastic.
My experience with MPSC is very limited. I drove in Sebring last November I believe, tire had a lot of street miles, and they were roughly 2-3 seconds slower than RA-1s, but again, a lot of street miles. Couldn't stop the car, and tires were really edgy.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
My experience with MPSC is very limited. I drove in Sebring last November I believe, tire had a lot of street miles, and they were roughly 2-3 seconds slower than RA-1s, but again, a lot of street miles. Couldn't stop the car, and tires were really edgy.
Yah, when they work, they work great. When they don't, they truly suck. No in-between, it seems..

Quick Reply: PBOC Sebring Springfest May 19 & 20