997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lizard gone fat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A restrictor break would be nice but Porsche should have seen the writing on the wall some time ago. I find it surprising to hear that the Lizards have become complacent. I can completely understand their morale having been bruised but I hope the rumors aren't true. I certainly cannot see their strategist staying on-board if this is the case.

Just wait till we have the Viper and all its torque coming out of the corners. The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 AM
wjfk32
Advanced

Greetings:

3.3Turbo-owner/Pelican Forums

Long time admirer-GT3-Forums
If the M3s & Corvettes are hitting 500hp, how can rsr-460hp compete???
As a Porsche/flying lizard fan I find it disheartening and pissed off. Flying lizards are not "soft". I had an opportunity to speak with Jeorg B. 2yrs ago at Limerock. He had one answer for me, air-restrictors and its only going to get worse for us. Now, its getting really bad.

If this continues, why compete??? Pull the plug and watch Nascar................might get to like it.
How much did BMW & GM pay ALMS under the table?

This is straight from porsche-motorsports news.

“Rain during the two-hour free practice, resulting in a wet track, and subsequent cancellation of qualifying, did not enable our customer teams enough track time to set up the new Porsche 911 GT3 RSR for its best performance potential. The competitors who finished ahead of us at Long Beach all have a bigger restrictor – thus more horsepower – than we do. We must work with the American Le Mans Series to find a solution that gives us comparable classification to our competitors in this area,” said Hartmut Kristen, head of Porsche Motorsport.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

The rules for VLN have become not favorable for Porsche. So from 2012 Manthey Racing will not race at the Nurburgring 24 officially, only through customer teams. The GT3-R Hybrid has been shelved.

The rules are now favorable for the Z4 GT3 (Team Schnitzer is now in DTM) and Audi R8 LMS.

I know in ALMS the rules are BMW and GM Favorable as well, I wonder how far it will go before Porsche thinks about pulling out completely.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,435 Likes on 2,246 Posts

I have never understood why the rules require the RSR to run with more restrictive 'restrictor' plates than others can anyone explain?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I have never understood why the rules require the RSR to run with more restrictive 'restrictor' plates than others can anyone explain?
Its not more that the rules require the RSR to run a smaller restrictor, its more than other teams sometimes petition a sanctioning body for a bigger restrictor because of a weight disadvantage or some other reason. Sometimes its just blatant bribery.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

Because it's a Porsche.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag
Because it's a Porsche.
I would have thought (naively it would seem) that the rules would be setup to equally handicap each entry per class, perhaps based on bhp/ton or similar measure...

if its based on whichever brand the organizers love the most, Corvette, BMW, Viper, etc ... that's just pathetic... but I guess that its not the 1st time in Porsche racing history that the rules have been stacked against them ... dissapointing indeed
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

I was kidding, but that short answer isn't entirely false.

Rules against the RSR are comical when one considers how old it is. Frankly, comparing the number of waivers granted to other cars vs. the RSR is more comical than restrictor setups — especially when one looks at how "production" other GT cars are compared to the 13yo RSR. Porsche has always been very good at optimizing a car that doesn't look like much to the untrained (and trained...) eye, and it's been lucky to have very good teams (AJR, PWL, FLM, etc.) running the cars.

But, to answer your question, Larry, I suspect TRD is right—and that it took more power/speed to keep other makes on the same last lap in years past. The rest of their cars are now better, too.

pete
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

I would have thought (naively it would seem) that the rules would be setup to equally handicap each entry per class, perhaps based on bhp/ton or similar measure...

if its based on whichever brand the organizers love the most, Corvette, BMW, Viper, etc ... that's just pathetic... but I guess that its not the 1st time in Porsche racing history that the rules have been stacked against them ... dissapointing indeed
It's the way of racing for a long time...got to make it a show. I don't mind BOP in theory, it's the application that disappoints.

Can-Am's "run what you brung" glory days sure look great now... Other way to go would be to further reduce tire sizes and get rid of trays, wings, flicks, etc. (anyone seen German Touring Cars lately? Yipes!)

But then we get into safety...

pete
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

In the end of the day, racing has to be exciting to watch. Majority of people who pay for racing (regular joes) want to see close racing. That is why NASCAR is so popular in the US and many parts of the world now.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag
I was kidding, but that short answer isn't entirely false.

Rules against the RSR are comical when one considers how old it is. Frankly, comparing the number of waivers granted to other cars vs. the RSR is more comical than restrictor setups — especially when one looks at how "production" other GT cars are compared to the 13yo RSR. Porsche has always been very good at optimizing a car that doesn't look like much to the untrained (and trained...) eye, and it's been lucky to have very good teams (AJR, PWL, FLM, etc.) running the cars.

But, to answer your question, Larry, I suspect TRD is right—and that it took more power/speed to keep other makes on the same last lap in years past. The rest of their cars are now better, too.

pete
its plain nuts ... a 13 yr old car handicapped beyond newer models, that clearly are not "production" beyond perhaps the tubs and some other plastic body parts ...

its BS ... and sad that the result is that it kills competition... ah well ...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD0524
Its not more that the rules require the RSR to run a smaller restrictor, its more than other teams sometimes petition a sanctioning body for a bigger restrictor because of a weight disadvantage or some other reason. Sometimes its just blatant bribery.
Yep, the politics of racing. My best guess is that the other teams (or manufacturers) may have played the "game" a bit better this year. I have trouble believing that the Lizards have gone soft. They have had bad luck so for this season (punted from behind @ Sebring, and then a flat tire in Long Beach). I had the good fortune to spend some time with the team at Laguna Seca last year (including in the pits -- see pics below) and I can tell you that the intensity (by the drivers, mechanics, etc.) was all there in spades!! Hopefully, they can turn things around next month in Monterey.

Attachment 625666

Attachment 625667

Last edited by zellamsee; 08-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I have great respect for the lizards, and their drivers, its a shame that in the immortal words of Sean Connery they "bring a knife to a gunfight"... through no fault of their own!

I would like to think that if they popped the restrictor off of the RSR it would kick some serious *** which could not be said of anyone else's 13yr old platform!!!

Go RSR!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Larry Cable;9462484

its BS ... and sad that the result is that it kills competition... ah well ...[/QUOTE]

Yes, but in fairness it could be said that the Alex Job/White Lightning/Flying Lizard/etc. era of ALMS GT was a bigger competition killer. It was a total 911 show. Nothing else even came close...about as likely to see another make win as you are in GTC right now. These days, ALMS GT is pretty amazing...BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, Lotus, Viper, Porsche. GT is the best show in the ALMS; we just need to see the 911 back in the mix. I suspect we will see a concession. It's either that or the ALMS risks Porsche and/or the Lizards taking their ball and going home. I doubt we will see it come to that, but the Kristen quote in that release wasn't directed to much at the masses, methinks.

Of course, Grand-Am's GT class has gotten a lot more interesting of late...Audi R8 being a very nice addition indeed.

pete
Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Great shots, Pete! Second one is killer...

Quick Reply: Lizard gone fat?