Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Linear spring & Tarett upper rear perch review

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Linear spring & Tarett upper rear perch review

OK, well I finally had a chance to get my car back on track after my swap to a linear rear spring using Tarett's new upper rear spring perch. The new LSD was also in place. I was turning low 1:17's at Putnam Park on RA1's (with students in my car), and honestly never even pushing it hard. Was just feeling out the new setup. Can easily get to low 1:16's on RA1's.

The car is SO much better than before, especially in transitions, from both left to right, and front to rear. The way it unweights is much more controlled and predictable, and makes consistent driving so much easier. Not that I care, but the street ride comfort using Swift's 672# spring is still fantastic as well. I chose to use a "stock-ish" rear rate so that the changes would be more comparable, and because I use a GMG rear bar, I don't need a ton more rear spring. Shocks set in the "hard/sport" PASM position. The LSD has alot to do with it, but the rear takes a much better "set" and "unload" with the linear spring, which increases confidence, feel, and consistency.

Thumbs up to Guard for an nice LSD setup (my lower pre-load setup is great Matt ), and to Tarett for developing a sorely needed component.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 947 Posts

Mvez: Who did the install for you and how did you decide on spring rates?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Ditto, ditto -- waiting on the install info! I've been told anyone who has done more than 10 track days on their stock LSD needs a Guards.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

... and wow--those are awesome times!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
My indy did the install, and I chose these rates so as to avoid a shock revalve, and be good for a variety of tracks. I'm very happy with the rates....plus, I run GMG bars, so tuning the rear is more easily accomplished at the track. I honestly can't find a reason to change anything at this point, the car is awesome.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Ditto, ditto -- waiting on the install info! I've been told anyone who has done more than 10 track days on their stock LSD needs a Guards.
You'll actually start to feel the car becoming less stable as you begin to really lean on your deteriorating LSD. You'll know when it's time to rebuild it. I'll let you know where to get the work done.

Quick Reply: Linear spring & Tarett upper rear perch review