Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why did Sebring install a Tire Barrier at Turn 7 ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

They have since painted those tires white so a little rubbing won't show on Randy's white RS
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
They have since painted those tires white so a little rubbing won't show on Randy's white RS
Like I am the only one that cuts that corner
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

I cut it also. Last event out as I was doing the cheater line, something snagged my right rear tire, ripping out a section. I heard the "whap whap whap" sound for a few hundred feet, then back to normal. Shortly thereafter I noticed my grip was drastically reduced. I brought the car in and noticed that I had a corded tire as a result of the missing circumferential bit of rubber lost through turn 7. Good thing those were free scrubs the Michelin folks allowed me to take from their pile at Winterfest. Very nice sticky rubber until I lost the piece through 7.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Izzone
I found that I could still get a little dust in the air if I cut in close at t7 behind the tires. No white marks on my black car yet...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Izzone
I found that I could still get a little dust in the air if I cut in close at t7 behind the tires. No white marks on my black car yet...
Yet is the key word

Those tires suck
Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The T1 extended wall I first thought messed up my turn in and apex speed but as I got use to it and got closer to it I found I'm still at around the same speed. The T7 tires keep me out of the dirt now but dont seem to mess with my speed there all that much.

I'm glad I have these pics of me before the tires in T7...
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
The T1 extended wall I first thought messed up my turn in and apex speed but as I got use to it and got closer to it I found I'm still at around the same speed. The T7 tires keep me out of the dirt now but dont seem to mess with my speed there all that much.
+2

Lots of sound & fury & teeth gnashing here, signifying nothing...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn in shown in the pictures (in dirt) are WAY early. Times will dramtically improve with later turn in and apex. Good example of learning where to go slow to be fast.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Polarcharger
Turn in shown in the pictures (in dirt) are WAY early. Times will dramtically improve with later turn in and apex. Good example of learning where to go slow to be fast.
DING DING DING! we have a winner!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+2

Lots of sound & fury & teeth gnashing here, signifying nothing...
Yep...I tried right side wheels in the dirt...never found it to be faster for me. that line spun up my tire that was in the dirt with zero traction and was very rough getting back up on the track. With my line that worked I would kick up a little dust right past the apex with right side rear tire. I never found the dirt to be necessary at T7 for me.

I do run the so called race line but if I run what I call the extreme race line I'm slower....so I'm sort of between the DE line and extreme race line....not real late turn in and not real early turn in. This probably works good for my cars skinny street tires and soft stock non-adjustable Carrera suspension.

thoughts...opinions?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Polarcharger
Maybe he is practicing his inside pass move/line for the DE race
Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

This probably works good for my cars skinny street tires and soft stock non-adjustable Carrera suspension.

thoughts...opinions?
soft suspension is good at rough track like Sebring. Saves your tires from wearing out as fast. I run my GT3 WITHOUT hitting the "shock" button (which stiffens the suspension settings). Much less rigid hitting the curbs and less bouncing around t1 and t17.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I run my GT3 WITHOUT hitting the "shock" button (which stiffens the suspension settings).
+1 very smart IMO...
Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

This probably works good for my cars skinny street tires and soft stock non-adjustable Carrera suspension.

thoughts...opinions?
soft suspension is good at rough track like Sebring. Saves your tires from wearing out as fast. I run my GT3 WITHOUT hitting the "shock" button (which stiffens the suspension settings). Much less rigid hitting the curbs and less bouncing around t1 and t17.
I use stiff, find it best, Chris and Gavin use that setting
Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I run my Fiat with 8 times stiffer springs than your Aero Beetle, and my revalved sachs in the stiffest of 3 settings.

So, if I go softer, would I drop 5 secs around Sebring? I'm going to try Sorento springs and Sedona shocks (shorter) to improve my lap times at the DE Cup. We might need a new DE Cup category, the Diamond DE Cup, for street cars under 2:15 at Sebring.

Quick Reply: Why did Sebring install a Tire Barrier at Turn 7 ????