Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Orbit - Centerlock tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
I use a breaker bar and torque wrench, and change my CLs per spec, meaning I torque them once, back off, torque again. I am so tempted to buy another CL nut tool because switching between breaker bar and torque wrench drives me crazy. It wouldn't help to use only the torque wrench, cause I'd still have to remove the handle, grab some other extension....and that would take as long or longer than switching the CL tool between the two.
I've been tempted to do the same, but am deterred by extra wrench head, CL socket and breaker bar to have to carry around. For me it's just reversing the "polarity" on the wrench head, push down on the non-torque sensitive part of the torque wrench, then reverse again to tighten.

With the shorter leverage on the "loosening" part you really get a good sense of whether the nut's holding its torque. It usually requires quite a bit of strength IMHO.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Cause I don't know how to safely use my torque wrench as a breaker bar, although I know people do it. Wrench instructions said DO NOT USE AS BREAKER BAR or something as emphatic as that, so I don't.

When using the wrench to break the nuts you still need to remove the handle, right? And grab some pipe or other bit of extension, right? All that seems as time consuming/bothersome as switching the nut tool btwn the breaker bar/torque wrench. Yes no? Am I missing something?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
I've been tempted to do the same, but am deterred by extra wrench head, CL socket and breaker bar to have to carry around. For me it's just reversing the "polarity" on the wrench head, push down on the non-torque sensitive part of the torque wrench, then reverse again to tighten.

With the shorter leverage on the "loosening" part you really get a good sense of whether the nut's holding its torque. It usually requires quite a bit of strength IMHO.
Ah, I acknowledge the point about the extra heavy machinery (breaker bar) and CL nut to carry around.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Cause I don't know how to safely use my torque wrench as a breaker bar, although I know people do it. Wrench instructions said DO NOT USE AS BREAKER BAR or something as emphatic as that, so I don't.

When using the wrench to break the nuts you still need to remove the handle, right? And grab some pipe or other bit of extension, right? All that seems as time consuming/bothersome as switching the nut tool btwn the breaker bar/torque wrench. Yes no? Am I missing something?
Just flip the switch and break loose.
I should check calibration on my old wrench to see if it is somewhat accurate. Any one know where to send it to for testing?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's precision instruments
send to:
1846 Miner St.
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Attn:repair
Sounds like it takes a few wks to get it back
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by drl

Just buy another socket? That would make things a lot faster-simpler
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Just buy another socket? That would make things a lot faster-simpler
more socket more betta
I have four
one on tq wrench
one on breaker bar
one I hand hold so I can turn the first few turns after the lock engage but before I need wrench
one for spare
see, all good
Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still don't understand what this tool does. I have changed my wheels twice with no issue. It is annoying swapping the cl device between torque wrench and breaker bar. Other than that no issues. I use a 1/2" extension to adjust the center piece and get spline engagement. What am I missing here?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:12 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ u are not missing anything. some ppl like 1/2" extension, some ppl like nicely orbit tool, i have both.

it's just like the POS sears tools (if you can call those "tools") versus the drawful of snap on tools i have that i have absolutely zero idea how to use. it's about waht makes you happy. the snap on tools gets me women. that's all that matters. the orbit delrin tool is sort of like a snap on vs craftsman....

whatever makes you happy.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ u are not missing anything. some ppl like 1/2" extension, some ppl like nicely orbit tool, i have both.

it's just like the POS sears tools (if you can call those "tools") versus the drawful of snap on tools i have that i have absolutely zero idea how to use. it's about waht makes you happy. the snap on tools gets me women. that's all that matters. the orbit delrin tool is sort of like a snap on vs craftsman....

whatever makes you happy.
I'm a Kobalt kind of guy

With orbit tool
Old 08-18-2012, 09:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

You're not missing anything.....

I use the Precision Tools torque wrench and flip the switch to CCW and turn the wrench bar to CCW to break lose my wheels. The Precision Tools wrench can torque in either CW or CCw direction.
I also use a $2 small 1/2" extension to snap the spring loaded spline back into place.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ FL heat, that's it.
or is it Mickey mouse make u ppl smarter.
I also have a very EXPENSIVE and OEM Porsche breaker bar.
mind u it was $$$
first time I used it, BENT.
I'm no sumo wrestler. just 180 lbs little guy who needs to get some FL heat and be like randy n reter (skip the beer part) and play drum like mdrums (I cam make noises, just can't read music).
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

^ FL heat, that's it.
mind u it was $$$
I'm no sumo wrestler. just 180 lbs little guy who needs to get some FL heat and be like randy n reter (skip the beer part) and play drum like mdrums (I cam make noises, just can't read music).
It's the California in u

Pay too much for houses
Pay too much for gas
Pay too much taxes
Pay too much for car parts

Maybe u move to Florida, I quit my job and get 25% of the money I save u

Win-win
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

^ FL heat, that's it.
mind u it was $$$
And beer makes u smarter.....

Quick Reply: Orbit - Centerlock tool