Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

12Hours of Sebring and the fiats

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Flat 6 and old chassis just not cutting it anymore. Need the 991 chassis and flat 8?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 AM
TRD0524
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari, BMW and Corvettes definitely have a higher top speed. Good for long distance tracks like Sebring, La-Sarthe and Road Altanta. Traditionally they do better. Porsche has its advantages in tighter tracks, and city courses. The Flying Lizard team usually put together a good endurance car for the US racing series but that is because they strip the car down and build them as endurance cars with proper equipment. However, the current regulations as well favor the BMW M3 GT and Corvette C6.R. Give the new Aston Martin GT car some time as well, it looks to have the pace to be competitive, considering it's first Sebring 12 hr running this year.

For Europe and the VLN Series, Manthey has always had a competitive car even against the new BMW Team Schnitzer M3s and Hankook F458 cars. However, it seems that the regulations for 2012 are not in favor of the Porsche RSR, which is why Manthey has elected to not race in the 2012 Nurburgring 24. They will only support customer efforts (I.E: Haribo Manthey GT3R). The regulations are in favor of the BMW M3 and Audi R8 LMS. The Mercedes SLS GT3 is becoming more and more of a fighting force as well.

The F430 was always an extremely good overall package (at least when Risi Competizione setup the car), the 458 is very good as well. But issues still need to be ironed out. Only the car's 2nd year of racing after all.

Pratt & Miller are always doing a lot of development as well. Huge gains in aerodynamics, paddle-shift technology, brakes and chassis/traction control systems make the Corvette an extremely competitive car for 2012 in the US. Audi is doing the same for the European series, so when a new RSR does come out, it will still have its work cut out for it.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Can someone count how many cars the fiats took out of the track and how many cars they hit ?????

It's just unbelievable !!!
Don't blame the Fiats, blame the drivers.

Have you count how many off-tracks, and wall kissing the Aero Beetles have done in the last 12 months at Sebring? Actually, I should blame VW for putting the engine on the wrong spot, VW should know that a mid-engine is a better design, and use the Boxster platform for serious Racing, in this case I blame VW and not the DE Cup drivers, so keep the agricultural excursions and wall rubbing coming.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

one driver blames another......

http://
Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Have you count how many off-tracks, and wall kissing the Aero Beetles have done in the last 12 months at Sebring? Actually, I should blame VW for putting the engine on the wrong spot, VW should know that a mid-engine is a better design, and use the Boxster platform for serious Racing, in this case I blame VW and not the DE Cup drivers, so keep the agricultural excursions and wall rubbing coming.
That's because the fiat's are afraid to come to Sebring and drive Flat Out. Might wear out the car or put a scratch on it before Cars & Coffee on Sunday.

Peter
Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Originally Posted by NJ-GT

That's because the fiat's are afraid to come to Sebring and drive Flat Out. Might wear out the car or put a scratch on it before Cars & Coffee on Sunday.

Peter
I have my fiat challenge, give iit a few months

If I raced alms I'd take a fiat
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I'll take a fiat over an rsr any day

They are a leg up on aerobeetles
Doesn't matter if the others are built in Maranello or Kentucky, and they are running Hoosier slicks, Once you bolt on a couple of Turbo's

http://bit.ly/GAuoYh

Old 03-20-2012, 04:06 AM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Peter
Must be world wide phenomana!!
We often joke that Ferrari club days are good to go to as the Ferraris that are still running by lunch time leave for local lunch strip!! That is after taking there photos in the race suit!!
It leaves very few cars for the afternoon so lots of track time !!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
Disappointing to see BMW, corv, and ferrari place ahead. What changes are needed to be more competitive?
They should start removing some of the penalties that have been added over the years. Also, BMW and Corvette have a lot of waivers. I haven't looked this year, but at the end of last year, the BMWs were running under the European rules.

Frankly, even Le Mans hasn't been as fun to watch as it used to be with GT1 and GT2 classes.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 PM
lopro
Banned

http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...4BA3B40B6895A6
Old 03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
Happened in Florida...imagine my surprise.

Quick Reply: 12Hours of Sebring and the fiats