Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sean Edwards Sebring GTC Pole

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
One thing I noticed about the pole lap video. You know how coaches and instructors are always saying "be smooth, avoid sudden movements". That whole lap looks like one "sudden movement" lol
When you are sitting in the passenger seat-- smooth is good !!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

One thing I noticed about the pole lap video. You know how coaches and instructors are always saying "be smooth, avoid sudden movements". That whole lap looks like one "sudden movement" lol
that is true....smooth is fast but when you are on the 11/10ths edge don't mistake qucik refelxes in the steering as not being smooth.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:45 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
I thought GTC cars can change springs, brakes and tires?
Right. Less aggressive endurance brakes. Softer springs to make tired last a hour+. Shocks is an advantage. But not enough to overcome restrictor. We run the same tire at GT3 cup races.

A stock cup on Michelins would be deep into the 5s
Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 PM
lopro
Banned

killer driving yesterday leh. Edwards was amazing also, sucks they didnt finish that must have been tuff. The level of driving was just staggering. I would so impressed
Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Sean Edwards
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
2:06 on the 2012 Cup cars? what did Porsche change from 2011 to 2012 on these cars? everybody is 1 second faster than last year. Aero? Tires? offsets? shocks?

Amazing driver by the top three !!!
Nothing, just better conditions for quali then last year I guess.

Originally Posted by kingleh
Awesome drive by Sean.. So tight for us 3...

Nothing really was changed for 2012.. Actually the GTC cars have to run a restrictor that slows them down.. So they are slower then a stock cup..

In 2010 Qualy for the 12 hour i did a 2:05... Without restrictor...
Originally Posted by Z06
I thought GTC cars can change springs, brakes and tires?
Was a tight quali man! Don't think we have met yet, should meet up next time I am over.. Well done in the race, shame we wern't on the podium too, throttle cable stuck on Henrique, no chance there, lucky to walk away from a 25g impact.

I did a 2.05.654 in the pre Sebring test last year with a stock 2011 car with the restrictor from last year, good conditions I guess. The wall at T1 must loose us a little speed as well.

Originally Posted by senna
Interesting line on T1. He is a mile away from the wall.
Less bumpy on exit that way, so many different lines you can take through 1 and 17 because of the bumps, just personal preference I guess, not sure any one is actually correct, all works out about the same speed.

Don't forget as well that driving on a road tyre is much different to driving on a slick. Smooth is fast and more importantly safe for you and us instructors sitting beside you ;-)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Awesome driving Sean and thanks for posting
Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Awesome driving Sean and thanks for posting
Now change your avatar to the red car
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing driving for sure, it's a shame what happened.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

IMO don't confuse what small anticipatory inputs the driver is making for what the car is doing. In this video, Sean is way ahead of the car, doing all sorts of minor corrections all the time, yet the car is relatively serene. Even when he is at opposite lock in 10, for example, the trajectory of the car remains how he set it at corner entry...
Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Edwards

Don't forget as well that driving on a road tyre is much different to driving on a slick. Smooth is fast and more importantly safe for you and us instructors sitting beside you ;-)
My comment was intended in as complimentary fashion as possible. I must have watched that video a dozen times, really awesome stuff. Maybe normal at that level, but having tested a Cup recently (my first!) the wow factor was that many orders of magnitude higher.

IMO don't confuse what small anticipatory inputs the driver is making for what the car is doing. In this video, Sean is way ahead of the car, doing all sorts of minor corrections all the time, yet the car is relatively serene. Even when he is at opposite lock in 10, for example, the trajectory of the car remains how he set it at corner entry...
Oh I agree totally. It reminds me of some onboards from shifter karts. Frantic steering movements but no change in vehicle trajectory. You know whats going to happen before it happens, you act as a "noise" filter by rubbing out all the oversteer/understeer etc, and you don't even think about what you're doing anymore.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Sean Edwards
Intermediate

My comment was intended in as complimentary fashion as possible. I must have watched that video a dozen times, really awesome stuff. Maybe normal at that level, but having tested a Cup recently (my first!) the wow factor was that many orders of magnitude higher.
Nice, hope you enjoyed it, they are the most fun you can have in a GT cars these days, very raw and not full of driving aids like every other manufacturer. Let's hope they keep true to this with the 991 cup!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:03 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Was a tight quali man! Don't think we have met yet, should meet up next time I am over.. Well done in the race, shame we wern't on the podium too, throttle cable stuck on Henrique, no chance there, lucky to walk away from a 25g impact.

Yea.. Somehow haven't met yet.. Will make sure we do next time you are here..

I didn't know it was a throttle stick.. Glad he is ok.. That must have been a hard hit..

Great quali.. I already thought it was close before Faulkner split us! ha...
Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 952 Posts

Nice, hope you enjoyed it, they are the most fun you can have in a GT cars these days, very raw and not full of driving aids like every other manufacturer. Let's hope they keep true to this with the 991 cup!
Originally Posted by kingleh
Yea.. Somehow haven't met yet.. Will make sure we do next time you are here..

I didn't know it was a throttle stick.. Glad he is ok.. That must have been a hard hit..

Great quali.. I already thought it was close before Faulkner split us! ha...
Sean/Leh:

Just want to say thanks to you guys for contributing here. Immensely enjoyable and useful to get comments from the guys running at the sharp end of the stick.

Keep up the great work.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Sean/Leh:

Just want to say thanks to you guys for contributing here. Immensely enjoyable and useful to get comments from the guys running at the sharp end of the stick.

Keep up the great work.
+1! Very cool
Old 03-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Orbit r
Former Vendor

+2

Quick Reply: Sean Edwards Sebring GTC Pole