Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

CAE Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with you seth...

I paid a pretty penny for my CMS shifter and I love it and would do it again... but no where near what they want for this thing.

I like the CMS shifter with cup cables -- all metal everywhere.

this is not my exact shifter but mine is just like this:
Name:  CMSShifter.jpg
Views: 3353
Size:  51.8 KB

it allows for stock street car interior to be retained as well
Old 03-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Correct answer for a sequential. Increasing only the height for an H-pattern is not advantageous.
Why no advantage in an H-pattern? I am curious about your thoughts on this, as I have never spent much time thinking about it. Porsche raised the shifter in the 996 cup for this very reason....

Cheers
Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a difference in raising the entire shifter mechanism vs just making the lever longer in order to raise the height of the ****

Just raising the **** makes the throws feel longer

Right? :-)
Old 03-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Height or Length?

Increasing the length of the lever would be pointless, Maybe I misunderstood what Seth was saying was pointless, I thought he was referring to raising the entire assembly.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific Western Performance
Porsche raised the shifter in the 996 cup for this very reason....

Agreed.

And, if I may say so, they didn't raise it far enough.
I tried adding longer spacers but the cables' angle became unnatural and stress was added.
On the other hand, If you try to raise it just by repositioning the **** higher (and securing it with a side bolt) the throws become longer. And the 6cup shifter already has longer throws than the 7 series shifters.

The 6cup shifter / cup cables combo works great, but this one might be the perfect solution if you want a higher placed shifter without the negatives.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
drPhilGandini
6th Gear

I installed the CAE Ultra Shifter in my Cayman 987.1 last week.
No, it's not a sequential shifter, but it certainly makes the most of the stock gear box by shortening the throw (in all directions, not just for and aft like the OEM SSKs do--I had both the B&M and the GT3 shifters before this,) and raising the shifter closer to the wheel. It removed all play in the shift mechanism other than what remains at the gear box (no shifter can get rid of that play!)

As posted above, this fits all 997 and 987 models with minor modification to the console, although I had to fabricate a cover to replace where the stock shift boot fits.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

^Damn that is sick. Thank god both u and 911 slow don't live next door to me. I'm very good at removing stuff. Mike
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

oops, I forgot to post about it here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9537234-post296.html

If you want the short version:
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2012, 05:46 PM
drPhilGandini
6th Gear

My shifter is identical to the one 911SLOW (John) shows in the linked thread, but he chose the black anodized version whereas mine is the standard machined Al version, with the mounting cradle painted black.
It looks like John did not use the console (even though this Ultra Shifter model can be used with the console whereas other models cannot) because of the aesthetic he has for his car.
Mine not only uses the center console, but also all the other console pieces are modified and reinstalled other than the shift boot (of course.) I fabricated the CF cover to replace the boot so that very little of the cradle is visible, but all the mechanism is visible as it sits high above the console.
Some may not like the aesthetics of the visible shift mechanism, but for me I couldn't care less--it's all about the shifting with this one! As John documents well in the linked thread, this shifter is about as good as it gets when it comes to shifting a Porsche with the standard H pattern. Amazing!

Last edited by drPhilGandini; 05-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Not worth it unless you like the look of a sequential shifter without having the functionality. This piece is a nice looking short shift kit that changes nothing but the length of the throw. Looks like a very nice piece though!
Looks pretty bling, but actually changes the whole experience

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
it also looks to raise the position of the shift **** -- closer to the steering wheel which I believe is advantageous
And that somehow turned out to be a pretty big deal. I kind of knew that it would be better if closer, but had no idea how much. Check out my video and you can see that it's "right there".

Originally Posted by FFaust
I will.

Then, if you like it, I can buy it from you at half price in a few months
Well, wasn't exactly half price, but 5 months and worth the wait.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
yep - you are right... although I am not familiar enough with shifters to know if all that was done on this example was height... it appears that there may be some more changes in play other than hieght alone
Everything is changed. It's the result of cleverly playing with the leverage ratio of the arm. The arm is longer, placing the **** at steering level, but the travel is shorter. Instead of relying on the springs internal the the gearbox, the shifter has its own springs, which control where the shifter falls naturally (3rd and 4th), and the effort required to go to 1st/2nd and 5th/6th.

Standing still, it's actually pretty hard (muscular) to row the gears, but on the track, it becomes very natural, and the gears just click into place.

You only need to be careful the first time you go from 5th to 6th, because you might go back into 4th (I did it twice on the highway), but once you know, you know.

Yup I agree with you on other changes at play but I don't think it is worth the extra coin to buy something like this to put the shifter closer to the steering wheel. I wouldn't mind seeing one at some point but I wouldn't want to be the one paying that kind of price to find out if it works better or not on my street car.
Agree, and it could become tiresome on the street, but on the track, where everything is purposeful, if just works. I might be going to VIR and Road Atlanta at the end of September, and you are welcome to take the car out for some laps if you are around.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Agreed.

And, if I may say so, they didn't raise it far enough.
I tried adding longer spacers but the cables' angle became unnatural and stress was added.
On the other hand, If you try to raise it just by repositioning the **** higher (and securing it with a side bolt) the throws become longer. And the 6cup shifter already has longer throws than the 7 series shifters.

The 6cup shifter / cup cables combo works great, but this one might be the perfect solution if you want a higher placed shifter without the negatives.
True!

After purchasing, and until I drove the car, I was convinced that I was installing a solution for a problem that did not exist; I had the 996 cup shifter and cables - and gearbox - after all, and that is a sweet setup that works flawlessly. But I was curious, and I like high-tech, mechanical-looking stuff

This does not disappoint. Shifts are DELIBERATE and PRECISE. The shifter just clicks into position. Throw is shorter, but shifts are NOT clunky. I've never driven a Ferrari with gated shifter, but that is the image that comes to mind.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
oops, I forgot to post about it here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9537234-post296.html

If you want the short version:
John's post above has lots of pictures, so there's no point in me duplicating here.

Video gives a pretty good idea of what the shifting is like. This was at Calabogie on the weekend.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Jellybean is the ultimate cheater mobile. Will fit right in this winter.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:51 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Again, good description and pictures by 911SLOW here https://rennlist.com/forums/9537234-post296.html

I have not reinstalled my center console (tunnel cover) because I would need to cut away some of the plastic tabs that hold the shifter boot. I simply velcroed my ashtray/electric window button assembly onto the park brake casting and it's fine.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Jellybean is the ultimate cheater mobile. Will fit right in this winter.
Have to agree, there's not much left that I could do short of stripping, and that ain't happening.

BTW, found a stash of Michelin slick scrubs. Getting my first set tomorrow
Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Hard Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by drPhilGandini
I installed the CAE Ultra Shifter in my Cayman 987.1 last week.
No, it's not a sequential shifter, but it certainly makes the most of the stock gear box by shortening the throw (in all directions, not just for and aft like the OEM SSKs do--I had both the B&M and the GT3 shifters before this,) and raising the shifter closer to the wheel. It removed all play in the shift mechanism other than what remains at the gear box (no shifter can get rid of that play!)

As posted above, this fits all 997 and 987 models with minor modification to the console, although I had to fabricate a cover to replace where the stock shift boot fits.
Thanks for the order Philip!

Name:  07d7d5a45fa730a5de6618b364931a41.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  239.0 KB
Name:  c58a4f6f0cf7852bbb3b0fe6dd379dff.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  98.6 KB

We have Cae shifters in stock!
http://www.hardmotorsport.com/CAE-SHIFTERS_c15.htm

Last edited by Hard Motorsport; 10-25-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

What is the cost on this piece?

Quick Reply: CAE Shifter