I figured you or randy would say that.

I concur
Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Rain = beer drinking
respectfully, that's an awfully NASCAR-like approach to motorsporting.
there will always be beer. the 911 is not made of sugar. go lap that sum-bitch in the wet. now that you're properly impressed with the 911's dry mechanical grip, move on to learning more about driving dynamics. a session in the wet will make your GT3 feel like you're driving an f1 car. it may be intimidating, but if you respect the machine and the conditions, it's the most satisfying lapping you'll do. it's not at all about lap time. it's about furthering the skills you think you have because you're a flat-out-in-the-dry kind of dude.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Rain days may be in my future at some point, but for now I am a fair-weather tracker. I live in Socal - no need to go play when its wet out. There are plenty of dry days. I recognize the advantages of learning better car control in the wet, but I don't really care to deal with the downsides to driving on the track in the rain. And I'm already spread thin with just two sets of wheels and dry tires.

Same deal with road cycling. When it rains, go to the gym, or take a rest day, whatever. No need to go get your bike all dirty on wet roads on skinny little tires in traffic....around here, it'll be dry tomorrow. I used to do do rides in SLC in the winter in 20 degree weather. Now, **** that. I've lived in Socal too long.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Traffic53
respectfully, that's an awfully NASCAR-like approach to motorsporting.
there will always be beer. the 911 is not made of sugar. go lap that sum-bitch in the wet. now that you're properly impressed with the 911's dry mechanical grip, move on to learning more about driving dynamics. a session in the wet will make your GT3 feel like you're driving an f1 car. it may be intimidating, but if you respect the machine and the conditions, it's the most satisfying lapping you'll do. it's not at all about lap time. it's about furthering the skills you think you have because you're a flat-out-in-the-dry kind of dude.
Respectfully back - I live in Seattle
I have plenty of rain experience

My "NASCAR" attitude has nothing to do with intimidation and everything to do with enjoyment... I have done my fair share of sliding around the wet track at half speed and I am comfortable with my rain skills - of course I could get better as we all could

Here I am on mpsc at pacific raceways... It's a little wet

Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
I figured you or randy would say that.

I concur
I drive in the rain......not

Great time to sit 100 yards from start finish at Sebring and wait for a car to move concrete

But I did go out in the rain last time at Sebring, drifted through bishops bend at 110,kind of fun
Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
Do yourself a favor and try running in the rain...you'll learn tons.
Sure. Can I borrow your car?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Sure. Can I borrow your car?

At RRR....yes, you can, in fact.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Every second track day here is a wet day... I have run every single one of them even if its a far more conservative pace than the dry. I find it helps to teach you finesse at the controls, something I'm often lacking and it highlights any issues with technique (ie. sloppy shifting, braking and steering)... Put your lap timer away and just practise technique and learning to feel your car around the track...
Assuming thoe sharing the track with you aren't psycho and trying to showoff their F1 skills.

You will need to change tyres though as suggested by many... I ran on PS2s for wet weather the past two seasons and have a set of MPSSs on standby for this year... If its forecast for completely dry, I use MPSCs on a second set of wheels...
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I love the rain - absolutely love it.

Just change your focus entirely and practice drifting your car every single corner - and experiment different ways of starting the drift.

To me, the only weather that is not fun is the dry track that 'might' have some wet spots. These in between conditions is where you can really get into trouble - and it is very difficult to get comfortable.

If it rains - I prefer that it pours and the track is soaking and very slippery - so slippery that you can break the wheels loose with almost no speed at all - thus the track is very safe as you are going so slow. If you adopt this kind of attitude that you have to drift every single corner every time - you will have a blast and you will improve your car control tremendously.
+1
Good time for learning
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Say yes to rain as long as you have decent tires. I spent a day at CMP in the wet and only 3 cars showed up. Haven't had that much fun in a long time. I was on PSS which were awesome the front bite on turn in was great no push whatsoever. This was in the nose heavy push mobile Boss.

Peter
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
The two sets that I have had we're horrible, they seem to offer no better grip then MPS2 in the dry. I had much better grip with Yokohama 048R, and once you try Hoosiers, nothing will do, except full slicks.
Do Hoosiers come in size to fit the .2 RS? I don't see them on Tire Rack.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Say yes to rain as long as you have decent tires. I spent a day at CMP in the wet and only 3 cars showed up. Haven't had that much fun in a long time. I was on PSS which were awesome the front bite on turn in was great no push whatsoever. This was in the nose heavy push mobile Boss.

Peter
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Death trap in the rain.

Only chance you have are MPSS.

Standing water is bad.

Wet surface is good for training. Thats about it.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Do Hoosiers come in size to fit the .2 RS? I don't see them on Tire Rack.
They have lots of sizes, not sure what a .2RS comes with, 325/30/19?

I run 245/35/18 315/30/18 on my car, that gives me a lot more grip then any street tire will

Quick Reply: GT3 RS in the rain