997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

AMP with Chin now TRAKCAR Minimancation

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012 | 12:07 PM
Kaiservon
Advanced

Thats an annoying tease. They had a booth at Walter Mitty this weekend with a sign that said "100% paved". Of course the rest of us couldn't enjoy it last weekend.
Old 05-01-2012 | 12:08 PM
jenk12m
Banned

A lot of patient corners
Old 05-01-2012 | 12:56 PM
Mrsideways
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Looks very weak on passing locations. Looks like the final corner on the front straight requires a lift/braking then is VERY short shot till braking for T1. Not enough of a GO to really get beside someone before the brake zone.
Old 05-01-2012 | 01:06 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Most people I find it's a comfort issue. They aren't braking any more so the automatically just rest their foot on the gas at a small percentage. What sucks is that very small percentage stops the final bit of turning needed to point the car so you can get a good exit. I had a student I forced him to pick both his feet up and move them away from the pedals all the way though the corner to break his habit. Usually it's only 1/10th or two that needs fixing on the good drivers. But some Newbs just don't get it... that an unwinding the steering wheel when getting back in the throttle. How is this not taught when you get your drivers license... this is basic driving skills people. Not racing.
Interesting info. I've never paid attention before. I'll have to see what my right foot is doing next time.
Old 05-01-2012 | 01:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Looks very weak on passing locations. Looks like the final corner on the front straight requires a lift/braking then is VERY short shot till braking for T1. Not enough of a GO to really get beside someone before the brake zone.

Doesn't look like it will be a fun track for W2W. Between no passing zones and the noise restrictions being that most race cars will not have cats. Might be pretty hard on the brakes too.

Turn 1 doesn't look as bad as I thought it would though. Curbs look really rough (for now at least). Will be a good place to test the mechanical grip of your vehicle. AWD cars will do well there as well.

Still can't say I'd want a membership there (or anywhere for that matter).
Old 05-01-2012 | 03:25 PM
Mrsideways
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wanna911
Doesn't look like it will be a fun track for W2W. Between no passing zones and the noise restrictions being that most race cars will not have cats. Might be pretty hard on the brakes too.

Turn 1 doesn't look as bad as I thought it would though. Curbs look really rough (for now at least). Will be a good place to test the mechanical grip of your vehicle. AWD cars will do well there as well.

Still can't say I'd want a membership there (or anywhere for that matter).
Yes it looks fun, but sure doesn't look very good for W2W racing. No straight at all anywhere on the track and only one corner with any kind of speed to it. God I want to design a track so bad. I'm sick of seeing all these new track designs that just lack excitement.
Old 05-01-2012 | 05:39 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a business idea. Open a body shop and a junk yard next to AMP. That track has plenty of spots where minor errors will cause contact with the walls.

It looks like a lot of fun, sort of RRR with elevations, and no straights, perfect for Miatas, S2000, E30 318i, Boxster/Cayman and all sort of moving chicane equipment.

Cars with heavy-metal Aerokits (like the modified Aero Beetles, ALMS-GT, Monster Tajima Pikes Peak car, the Aero Barbie cars in Florida and Georgia) might benefit by going flat-out from T13 all the way to T1.

Except the T13-T16 complex of turns, the rest of the turns are so slow speed, that most grip will be mechanical. Two 30 mph and Two 40mph turns is like having 4 hairpins in a track that short. Traction out of those turns is key

Advantage: Aero Beetles (even bigger advantage that RRR).
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:14 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I have a business idea. Open a body shop and a junk yard next to AMP. That track has plenty of spots where minor errors will cause contact with the walls.

It looks like a lot of fun, sort of RRR with elevations, and no straights, perfect for Miatas, S2000, E30 318i, Boxster/Cayman and all sort of moving chicane equipment.

Cars with heavy-metal Aerokits (like the modified Aero Beetles, ALMS-GT, Monster Tajima Pikes Peak car, the Aero Barbie cars in Florida and Georgia) might benefit by going flat-out from T13 all the way to T1.

Except the T13-T16 complex of turns, the rest of the turns are so slow speed, that most grip will be mechanical. Two 30 mph and Two 40mph turns is like having 4 hairpins in a track that short. Traction out of those turns is key

I'll bet if Chin woudl have had its opening event there there would have been piles of carnage.......

There is little run off that will eat tail happy aero beetles

also the asphalt will still need to cure and get a base layer of rubber

I wont bother with AMP until next fall at earliest
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:24 PM
wanna911
Race Car

The turns are that slow because he's driving an m3 on street tires at 6/10ths on a track with no rubber down.

You whine about aero but then whine about a track that's not aero dependant. Man up Mr TTU. Or better yet come go to NASA nationals with me and see if they will dq everyone that does not have aero.

Everyone doesn't fit inside your paddle shifted 200k box.
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

The turns are that slow because he's driving an m3 on street tires at 6/10ths on a track with no rubber down.

You whine about aero but then whine about a track that's not aero dependant. Man up Mr TTU. Or better yet come go to NASA nationals with me and see if they will dq everyone that does not have aero.

+1
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:35 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good luck trying to make a 30mph turn 20 mph faster on slicks, trick aero at 10/10th. No much runoff for your Aero Beetle there.

My Fiat preparation won't be ready for NASA Nationals, it is still awaiting parts. Most of the parts should be here before October, so at our Sebring event, I can put a NASA-National-Champion-TTR-AeroBeetle in 2nd place at a local TTU event.
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:42 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Good luck trying to make a 30mph turn 20 mph faster on slicks, trick aero at 10/10th. No much runoff for your Aero Beetle there.

My Fiat preparation won't be ready for NASA Nationals, it is still awaiting parts. Most of the parts should be here before October, so at our Sebring event, I can put a NASA-National-Champion-TTR-AeroBeetle in 2nd place at a local TTU event.
HAHA, so now I'm TTR Have not run one NASA lap under 6.25:1 ratio and not changing anytime soon. I love the additional excuses though, shows how scared you are.

You parts won't be ready for 5 more months?
Old 05-01-2012 | 07:17 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

HAHA, so now I'm TTR Have not run one NASA lap under 6.25:1 ratio and not changing anytime soon. I love the additional excuses though, shows how scared you are.

You parts won't be ready for 5 more months?
Yes TTR, when you blow by 800Hp Corvettes on straight line like they are standing still, very likely you're out of TTU power range.

I don't get scared of Aero Beetles, they either break or don't show up. The latest trend in NASA Florida is that we now have more Fiats at any event than Aero Beetles. At the last event we had 1 599 GTB, 3 Scuderias, 1 360 Stradale, and a 458 Challenge car, and just one Aero Beetle (a 4.0RS driven at pace car speeds).

I hope you win the 2012 NASA TT Nationals, it's being a long time since I can challenge a National Champion running in the same class at a local event.

Yes, 5 months, I don't like the waiting, the design studio is in Switzerland, and the factory in China, custom work, otherwise I would have to replace fenders, radiator mounts, all bumpers, side skirts, too much work to obtain similar downforce numbers.

My Fiat is at 7.2 weight/whp ratio and it will stay like that with the exception of the weight savings that could result from the new parts, but the difference won't be significant, probably 7.1-7.0 range.
Old 05-01-2012 | 09:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Yes TTR, when you blow by 800Hp Corvettes on straight line like they are standing still, very likely you're out of TTU power range.

I don't get scared of Aero Beetles, they either break or don't show up. The latest trend in NASA Florida is that we now have more Fiats at any event than Aero Beetles. At the last event we had 1 599 GTB, 3 Scuderias, 1 360 Stradale, and a 458 Challenge car, and just one Aero Beetle (a 4.0RS driven at pace car speeds).

I hope you win the 2012 NASA TT Nationals, it's being a long time since I can challenge a National Champion running in the same class at a local event.

Yes, 5 months, I don't like the waiting, the design studio is in Switzerland, and the factory in China, custom work, otherwise I would have to replace fenders, radiator mounts, all bumpers, side skirts, too much work to obtain similar downforce numbers.

My Fiat is at 7.2 weight/whp ratio and it will stay like that with the exception of the weight savings that could result from the new parts, but the difference won't be significant, probably 7.1-7.0 range.
Who are you trying to convince with this nonsense? Surely not me, I'm thinking just yourself to help you feel better. Where is said 800 hp Corvette that I blew by in straight line, video please.

My car has factory K24 Turbo's which NOBODY has gotten much over 500 whp out of. The tops is 530 something with meth. They just don't flow enough air, and are old tech. So how exactly do I pass the 800 hp corvette's with that?

When I go to nationals and get dyno'd and weighed every day, only to show I'm well below max TTU, what will be your excuse then? I have no boost controllers, no other tunes, only the one that came with the car when I bought it.
Old 05-01-2012 | 09:42 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Rad, You forgot to say that the Fiats were service car speeds, when they can run of course.

Quick Reply: AMP with Chin now TRAKCAR Minimancation