Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Smurf Cup from this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
The PCO one is Etienne Borgeat, the Touring Car champ from last year. Racing in the GT3 Challenge this year. Fast driver.

The other car is his friend, Anthony Mantella. New to pcars but has a decent racing history. Also racing in the GT3 Challenge. Both in the Platinum class.
Beat me to it. Yup, thanks. They can drive! And clean, too!!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have to agree.
Originally Posted by NJ-GT
No, you want to agree.

Here is my bet. Put slicks on your car, and try to run a 2:13, if you can't you pay for drinks, food, and get to enjoy my Fiat avatar for 90 days. If not, I'll cover drinks, food and put a VW Avatar for 90 days.
Peter, this might be an interesting bet, PROVIDING that you

-re-align and set up your car properly for the tires
-change your driving style to better suit the tires

That said, IMO, it makes little sense to put full slicks on a street car. The incredible lateral grip of fully warmed up slicks is too much for street cars, and over time will put way too much wear & tear on suspension elements, subframe elements, etc. In addition, the stock suspension is IMO too soft to fully utilize slicks. DOT tires like Hoosier R6's are a different story, however, especially in a stiff car like an RS. IMO, a good driver should be able to easily see 2 seconds (all other things being equal) on R6's at a track like Sebring.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The PCO one is Etienne Borgeat, the Touring Car champ from last year. Racing in the GT3 Challenge this year. Fast driver.

The other car is his friend, Anthony Mantella. New to pcars but has a decent racing history. Also racing in the GT3 Challenge. Both in the Platinum class.
Thanks Rob.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No wonder, didn't know those guys were platinum level cup drivers. That explains a lot.

It was certainly entertaining to watch though.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

No, you want to agree.

Here is my bet. Put slicks on your car, and try to run a 2:13, if you can't you pay for drinks, food, and get to enjoy my Fiat avatar for 90 days. If not, I'll cover drinks, food and put a VW Avatar for 90 days.

Talking about bets, JP175 should be wearing my Fiat Avatar after Winterfest, because he got creamed by the Fiat on the contest. I'm ok if he won't honor the bet, friends first.

Just a tip: comparing tires means running same size tires. You, Aero Beetle boys are still running 245 RA1 when you should be running 275, and you run 305 RA1 when you should be running 335. On R6, the 255/335 combo works well, just with a clarification that a 255/35R18 labelled by Hoosier really is a 275/30R18. I have purchased most of the 18" A6/R6 sizes, and all of the 19" sizes, measured and weighed them, keep the data and play with it.
I compare RA1 that I can get and fit as is compared to Hoosiers that i can get and fit. What 2:13 nonsense? I would not mess up my car for that setup, agreeing that if we go running R6 we'd be 2 seconds faster at Sebring, so 17s on a good day.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Beat me to it. Yup, thanks. They can drive! And clean, too!!

Peter, this might be an interesting bet, PROVIDING that you

-re-align and set up your car properly for the tires
-change your driving style to better suit the tires

a good driver should be able to easily see 2 seconds (all other things being equal) on R6's at a track like Sebring.
Ignoring the slicks nonsense. Exactly. And you have seen more data and analyzed it then anyone else.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Michelin slicks are good for 2 fast HC, then 2 a little slower HC, then 4 slower (non competitive) HC. After 8HC garbage bin is your friend.

Scary stuff, Michelin slicks beyond 8HC.

Once you go Purple, you never go back.

2:16.000 on R6, the bet stays.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the R6's are more than a second faster than the RA1 but could be less than 2 seconds. However that is on a normal 2.5 mile track. Sebring is really long and there is a lot of ground to make up time. But then again 2:16 is pretty darn fast at Sebring!!!

Bet it up!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

After 8HC garbage bin is your friend.

Wrong. Just slower...good practice tires. Again, with a driver who has the proper skills to utilize them.

Now, an over-driven car with a driver who tries to drive the slicks like RA1's, sliding all over? Yeah, I'd agree with you. But then, what's the point of slicks if someone is gonna drive them this way?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Michelin slicks are good for 2 fast HC, then 2 a little slower HC, then 4 slower (non competitive) HC. After 8HC garbage bin is your friend.

Once you go Purple, you never go back.

2:16.000 on R6, the bet stays.
I can do 2:17's on R6 if I can do 2:19's on RA1's....
I probably can put together one flyer in the :16's like I could 2:18's on RA1's on a good day.

Quick Reply: Smurf Cup from this past weekend