997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCA DE Sebring 24th, and 25th

Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Wow. That is pretty sad that they would curtail learning by instructors.

Wow.

Although there are no "DE" lines and "race" lines. There are fast lines and slow lines.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going both days. I have a lot to work on. Even if I can't get many clean laps, I'll use the seat time to work on my corners that need work.....essentially all of them!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

You guys all dog Suncoast.....but we had a blast at 48 hours

I am going and will have a good time......chasing Gavin

Most of you that bash them dont have the right to......you barely drive the DE line correct
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sstjohn
You tell me. How is it?
I cehcked out and never shuffle steered once....and cant do it if I have to
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I cehcked out and never shuffle steered once....and cant do it if I have to
Same here. I did 3 events with good instructors and 1 with a bad one, then 3 solo events and without shuffling suncoast was the first place that made my brother and I instructors while driving a Mustang.

Lucky I guess
Old 02-14-2012, 01:17 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

seems to me that suncoast has been very progressive over the last couple of yrs...allowing gavin to walk the track with drivers, allowing Chris Hall to give "sessions" of coaching, and the open passing recently. the new "regime" are much more open minded......although i have run into some of the old turds, most are very nice....and yes, i was forced to shuffle steer during the instructor school in turn 7.........imho, if i am not willing to give up a lot of my time to PCA and volunteer like some of the older guys you are complaining about, I dont really feel it is fair to criticize them...just my .03 cents...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
sstjohn
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been officially bumped to Sunday. Might come down Saturday night if you have a cot for me at the Chateau Randy, Dinner and drinks on me.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mkk62
seems to me that suncoast has been very progressive over the last couple of yrs...allowing gavin to walk the track with drivers, ....and yes, i was forced to shuffle steer during the instructor school in turn 7.........
Forgive me, as a non-Suncoaster, for saying this, but these comments are diametric opposites.

How can a group be considered "progressive" when it forces students to learn & instructors to teach shuffle steering? And when it criticizes instructors learning different lines from someone like Gavin?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Some old guys are leaving some new people are arriving. Progress.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Some old guys are leaving some new people are arriving. Progress.
Y'know, I instruct for Lone Star Region and Hill Country Region and Maverick Region. Each has old guys and traditionalists, and I appreciate the heck out of them.

None teaches shuffle steering. None insists it be instructed. And none discourages instructor and advanced students from learning various lines.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Forgive me, as a non-Suncoaster, for saying this, but these comments are diametric opposites.

How can a group be considered "progressive" when it forces students to learn & instructors to teach shuffle steering? And when it criticizes instructors learning different lines from someone like Gavin?
They do not force you to shuffle steer

Suncoast is not a race group, it is a DE group. They teach beginning students the "party line". A safe way around Sebring. I always teach my student this line, they can work on a more agressive race line when they go solo.

Gavin drives a race line, without proper car control it is considered an unsafe line.

Suncoast runs a first class drivers education, not sure why everyone is so hard on them.

If you want to be hard on somone go spend time with NASA midwest, I couldn't believe the low quality drivers they had......sure open passing, any line, who cares where you go.......and lots of crashed cars. Maybe that is someone elese idea of fun
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sun coast PCA let Gavin walk the track. Didn't hear much other than praise. Shuffle steerers are retiring. progress not perfection.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

They do not force you to shuffle steer

Suncoast is not a race group, it is a DE group. They teach beginning students the "party line". A safe way around Sebring. I always teach my student this line, they can work on a more agressive race line when they go solo.

Gavin drives a race line, without proper car control it is considered an unsafe line.

Suncoast runs a first class drivers education, not sure why everyone is so hard on them.

If you want to be hard on somone go spend time with NASA midwest, I couldn't believe the low quality drivers they had......sure open passing, any line, who cares where you go.......and lots of crashed cars. Maybe that is someone elese idea of fun
Apparently they DO force you to shuffle steer, according to mkk62.

I understand what a DE is, Randy. And agree that safety is job 1. But poo-pooing the opportunity for instructors to learn different lines? Silly at best. Purposely luddite control freakishness at worst.

There are no "race" lines.

And yes I agree about midwest NASA at Mid Ohio. I was there, remember? it was pathetic.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 413 Posts

Most of you that bash them dont have the right to......you barely drive the DE line correct
Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Peter
Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Y'know, I instruct for Lone Star Region and Hill Country Region and Maverick Region. Each has old guys and traditionalists, and I appreciate the heck out of them.

None teaches shuffle steering. None insists it be instructed. And none discourages instructor and advanced students from learning various lines.
Any events March 6+7 near Houston?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCA DE Sebring 24th, and 25th