Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any issue with LiON Battery....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Any issue with LiON Battery....

Went to the local Porsche dealer today to pull the trigger on a LiON for my 10' GT3. My service writer kinda talked me out of it.

He said something like this, "You know that battery is for like racing only, as it can't really handle all the accessories and the A/C."

It's only for autocross, and a $ 3000 battery is NUTS ! (but no one has ever accused me of being rational before)

So.....is the LiON a simple plug and play with no issues, and a long life if my car is driven like 40 minutes a week, with no trickle charger or anything like that.

My OEM regular battery lasted almost 2 years.

Will the LiON last like 5 YEARS............did my dealer do me right ??? (I think so)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the LiOn battery. I have been using in for 1.5 years in my 08 RS without issue. When the charge gets low, it gives a warning beep. The standard trickle charger works fine. The only issue I know of is the recommendation of not using it below freezing temps.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon70
I have the LiOn battery. I have been using in for 1.5 years in my 08 RS without issue. When the charge gets low, it gives a warning beep. The standard trickle charger works fine. The only issue I know of is the recommendation of not using it below freezing temps.
Correct. Your dealer fed you a load of ill-informed BS Lehman. I used the LiON in all my Porsches, track/non-track. Stripped/nonstripped. It works fine in any circumstance.

Ancient Chinese Secret (shhhhh) in (really) cold weather if the battery won't turn over the starter motor, simply turn on the headlights switch for about 15 seconds, or simply try to crank and release and wait for ~30 seconds, the temporary load creates enough internal resistance to heat the battery and enable it to start the car

Personally I have never experienced the cold no-start so in reality it is below 10f.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Correct. Your dealer fed you a load of ill-informed BS Lehman. I used the LiON in all my Porsches, track/non-track. Stripped/nonstripped. It works fine in any circumstance.

Ancient Chinese Secret (shhhhh) in (really) cold weather if the battery won't turn over the starter motor, simply turn on the headlights switch for about 15 seconds, or simply try to crank and release and wait for ~30 seconds, the temporary load creates enough internal resistance to heat the battery and enable it to start the car

Personally I have never experienced the cold no-start so in reality it is below 10f.
Good 2 know
Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm amazed at these prices, as I run Shorai Lithium Iron batteries in both my sport bikes (Yamaha R1 and Ducati) as do most sport bike guys now. They run around $150 for top quality units encased in carbon fibre and only weigh about 2 lbs. Somebody is inflating these prices incredibly, and although the demands of a car greatly outstrip that of a bike it shouldn't be a 20X the cost (maybe double ot triple at most).
Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Porsche OEM Li-Ion in the Cayman and the LithiumPros (same size as a Group 34 battery, but just 9 lbs) in the Fiat.

I use a trickle charger when the car is sitting for more than 1 week not being used, either car, whether on the stock battery or the Li-Ion.

The only time I heard the beep in the Li-Ion battery was when I first installed it. I had it at full charge, and left the Cayman 3 weeks without the trickle charger, I was checking how long it would last before not letting me start the car. Even with the beep (audible from outside and inside the car), the car started just fine.

If I leave the Fiat away from a trickle charger for 3 weeks, the stock Optima 34R would run out of juice. With the Li-Ion, it goes disabled in just 2 weeks, too many parasitic loads in the Fiat.

The $3k price is a little high, buy it barely used or at another place. Installation takes 15 minutes at most, a 13mm socket for the mounts, and 10mm wrench for the terminals.

Quick Reply: Any issue with LiON Battery....