Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Second Gear Randomly Popping Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Issues with our cars are getting more and more common... Drove a 996GT3 the other day, and forgot how bad my tranny is compared to the 996GT3.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

There are 14 different shims that go under 4th gear that vary by .05mm that are used to adjust the location of 2nd gear and set the stack height. My guess is that in the Getrag factory when they build these gearboxes they don't spend a whole lot of time measuring and checking this and use a standardized shim of the same size in pretty much every gearbox. Variances in width of individual gearsets themselves (which could be 3rd, 4th, or 2nd) can alter the whole stack and put the 2nd gear dog teeth just ever so slightly too far away from the 1/2 slider assembly. It's been an issue for 15 years...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

What is the best guesstimate with respect to pp/clutch issues with the 3.8- too much power? Aren't the trannies for the 6 and 7 essentially the same other then then 3.8 has shorter gears.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:59 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

My head tends to be buried firmly inside of the gearbox. I am aware that there seem to be clutch/pp issues going on, but haven't really been looking at it too closely and haven't held a broken one in my hands at this point.

Yes, they are essentially the same gearbox other than ratio changes.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
There are 14 different shims that go under 4th gear that vary by .05mm that are used to adjust the location of 2nd gear and set the stack height. My guess is that in the Getrag factory when they build these gearboxes they don't spend a whole lot of time measuring and checking this and use a standardized shim of the same size in pretty much every gearbox. Variances in width of individual gearsets themselves (which could be 3rd, 4th, or 2nd) can alter the whole stack and put the 2nd gear dog teeth just ever so slightly too far away from the 1/2 slider assembly. It's been an issue for 15 years...
Sounds very logical. But why does the problem seem to worsen with wear? I can't imagine these shims getting worn out in a meaningful way within the course of say 10,000 miles...

For me, the problem is becoming increasingly frequent. These days I'm sure to get a "pop-out" with given these conditions: cold transmission+slight downhill+no/little throttle. I'm taking it into the dealer and gonna create a ruckus...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
I'm taking it into the dealer and gonna create a ruckus...
My prediction: They will say you ham-fisted the gear box.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:56 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

If it's getting worse over time it's because the synchros are wearing and the engagement teeth are getting banged up. If the car was fine for 5k or 10k mile and then suddenly starts doing it, that's usually user error and not assembly error. People hate when I say that, but 2nd gear on these cars is not robust and does not take kindly to bad downshifts.
This is how your 3rd-6th engagement teeth look:

This is how they look on 2nd:

See the difference and how easy it could be to damage those teeth with a single ZING incident?

There is a real issue with tolerances on these gearboxes and a certain percentage of them not being built to proper spec from day one. But it's not epidemic like the questionable LSD in the gearbox. It's a small percentage of the production. Most of the people with 2nd gear pop out problems have caused them themselves.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love Matt's gear ****
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
There is a real issue with tolerances on these gearboxes and a certain percentage of them not being built to proper spec from day one. But it's not epidemic like the questionable LSD in the gearbox. It's a small percentage of the production. Most of the people with 2nd gear pop out problems have caused them themselves.
I love it when you pull out a bunch of shop pictures to illustrate your point. Thanks! For me this problem has been around since new (heck, the first popout was when I drove the car home from the dealership!!). But I take your point--with dogteeth that fine even the finest error can worsen the problem. But before I point fingers at the box itself, is there any chance this may be caused by a loose/mistuned shifter cable? I recently had my LSD replaced and obviously that required a tranny-out. The popping-out noticeably worsened after that LSD job.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bmardini
I love Matt's gear ****
Then this is your lucky day. I'll make it a treasure hunt, but by sundown today there's going to be some really interesting new GT **** on the interwebs.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time I am in Boulder can I stop by? I like touching it too!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I was brought up with the understanding that you never admit that you like to touch it. But sure, visitors are welcome. Some days get crazy here and I don't have much time to spare but other days I could spend an hour with someone just showing them stuff. Today is one of the former...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If it were the shifter cable, then it wouldn't just be second gear. It would be 4th and 6th as well to the best of my knowledge. When just second, then worn gear/synchros are likely to blame.

Originally Posted by CRex
I love it when you pull out a bunch of shop pictures to illustrate your point. Thanks! For me this problem has been around since new (heck, the first popout was when I drove the car home from the dealership!!). But I take your point--with dogteeth that fine even the finest error can worsen the problem. But before I point fingers at the box itself, is there any chance this may be caused by a loose/mistuned shifter cable? I recently had my LSD replaced and obviously that required a tranny-out. The popping-out noticeably worsened after that LSD job.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

John, if you're having Princeton Porsche do the repair, ask Gene about the white 2011 GT3 with the same 2nd gear pop-out issue brought in last year. Car only had a few hundred miles when the issue started -- turned out to be a bad synchro.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Issues with our cars are getting more and more common... Drove a 996GT3 the other day, and forgot how bad my tranny is compared to the 996GT3.
the more I read about the newer GT3's I am glad I got another 6GT3

Peter

Quick Reply: Second Gear Randomly Popping Out