Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GoPro Hero 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:11 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
I have a tried a bunch of different settings and still get a white washed look outside the windshield when mounted to the rear window. I am going to mount it lower on the rear window to see if that has a positive effect.
I found it was the angle of the lens ie v slightly down tilt and the height below roof that made the difference, not the R3 or R5 setting sosa much as I got the whiteout with both. made a marker on the height adjuster of the B&K mount and moved it down 5mm each vid for a few vids from my initial high point - worked well from about 10cm below roof liner, didn't keep going to find out where the w.o. re-emerged. I'm using a GP1 w/o zoom, high FPS setting.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:49 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is on my list of things to buy

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/roll-bar-mount/

I used to edit movies for 10 years, I found glair when filming to be a major issue - camera placement was crutial in getting the best picture. Hiwind is right, tilting the camera down slightly seems really help
Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I just put the rollbar mount in my car. My only caution about it is you have to be careful to not overtighten the screws as the entire thing is plastic and I can see it cracking or breaking very easily if not careful. Looks good though.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey guys, looking to pull the trigger on a gopro hero 2 but do not have a roll cage for mounting it... Is the front windscreen mount my only option or can i mount it to the rear windscreen and narrow the field of view for satisfactory results. I have standard seats so no shiny surface to suction to....

Alternatively, if i mount to the rear screen, can i buy an arm extension to use with the suction mount that will allow me to move it further forward to a similar position to LVDell above??

Any suggestions or advice appreciated!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DM993tt
au contraire - Just get this - problem solved.
http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount/

Some in car vids with my gopro
Go to 3:50 here
24H lemons w GoPro
first video, it's clear why the back almost came around. lifted before you had it straight, or settled.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

There are a lot of different places to mount the Gopro. I have tried about a half dozen locations and they all worked fine. I did have some issues with rear window pointing forward but just had to play with the mounting height a bit. It all works pretty well and I don't have a roll bar either.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
There are a lot of different places to mount the Gopro. I have tried about a half dozen locations and they all worked fine. I did have some issues with rear window pointing forward but just had to play with the mounting height a bit. It all works pretty well and I don't have a roll bar either.
Hey skfx, did the rear window mounting give you good vision out the front or was the field of view too wide? Did you use a narrow field setting? What other positions worked well?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

I only used the wide angle which I liked and didn't think it was too wide. I will try the narrow field setting next time to see how much of a difference it makes.

Also, I mounted the camera on the side quarter window which gave a nice perspective, mounted to the rear window facing the rear, mounted to the front windshield interior and exterior, and mounted on the front tow hook. All have some interesting looks and it is pretty cool just experimenting with the various angles.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:14 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Here are a couple of different angles from my last time out

Mounted on the exterior of the front windshield

http://youtu.be/WbwY8yfoz_w?hd=1

Mounted to the rear quarter window

http://youtu.be/IVwltdJ_t5Y?hd=1
Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Thanx heaps skxf, i like the exterior windscreen shot... If you mount to your rear screen again and get any shots in narrow view, please post!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 AM
ttdan
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The first half of this is Go Pro (1) mounted on the outside of the rear screen with the supplied suction mount. Quality gets compressed a little on youtube but not too bad at 720. The pic in pic is a sony handy cam. The creaking is my seat!

Last edited by ttdan; 02-18-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Thanx heaps skxf, i like the exterior windscreen shot... If you mount to your rear screen again and get any shots in narrow view, please post!
here is a shot mounted on the outside of the rear window facing back.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 92 Posts

I found a couple of roll bar mounts that I liked better than the GoPro roll bar mount. In the end, I couldn't really use the camera from behind the seat because my Halo seat obscured too much of the forward view..

These two roll bar mounts are excellent

Ram Mount:

(I like the SVTEK the best)
SVTEK

Remote Control:
The hard part for me was turning the camera off and on.. Belted in on the grid, I can't reach the camera, and pressing the button for some random time to start and stop always annoyed me. You really want to see the LCD on the camera confirm that its on or off..

The GoPro wireless solution is expensive, I don't really need more RF signals in my car and the remote itself is bulky. The Traqmate remote control is just insanely expensive.

I found a REALLY great wired remote from Tony Oldham who works at VIR. He makes a very clean solution. Ten foot cable to mount the button wherever you want (he can make in other lengths) Press the button for power on, press again for power off. What always annoyed me about the GoPro's was knowing when I had pressed the button long enough.. Its vague - especially with gloves on - so I asked Tony to add an LED which is powered from the camera. Since the LED is powered by the camera its a very clear indicator. It works like a charm I love it.
Button and LED are mounted on my dash. Very clean install.

I've explained the remote control to a few people. They nod their heads but their eyes really light up when they see the button on my dash, the camera power up and the LED go on . Its very cool

I'm just a happy customer.. Tony is a good guy.

For Remote Control - Tony can be reached via email at ynotsportshots@yahoo.com
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Hey skfx, did the rear window mounting give you good vision out the front or was the field of view too wide? Did you use a narrow field setting? What other positions worked well?

Thanks in advance...

Hey 911,

Here are some shots of narrow, medium and wide field of vision. It gives a pretty good idea of the various settings. The narrow shot is probably the best of the 3. All were shot with spot metering ON.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that green RS looks great with the black wheels and black uprights

Quick Reply: GoPro Hero 2