Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Just installed the RSS X-Pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

OP: I had the exact same initial reaction. Took me a few days to get used to it. Wife rode in and drove the car for the first time ever today. I asked if it was too stiff or too loud and her reaction was "GOD NO!!". As other suggested, I'd recommend trying it out for a few weeks and if you aren't in love with it, I'm sure you'll be able to find a good home for it.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

1st car looks like a cup... is it?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:20 AM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,724 Posts

thanks for the replies. I'm going to give it some time. It's just that is is really loud in the cabin in sport mode. I didn't think it was going to be this loud. I'll give it some time and see how it wears on me.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
indeed it does look like cup, or a gt3 with decals. I got thinking that at first but then someone mentioned it was a RSS exhaust. Maybe they ment rsr

as for the noise factor, It is a sports car and imo these cars came abit quiet compaired to some other highend sports cars, so adding an exhaust and pulling abit more sound out if it is kinda what Porsche should have produced the car with. Having 3 mufflers is abit much. maybe your just really used to the stock sound.

Although sound is all opinion related and I would think that nobody can convince you to like or dislike it.. Some are more sensative to noise than others. If you do decide to remove it and go back to stock I know selling it will be a breeze. Just look at how quickly that rss pipe sold today in the forums. I think it took him less than 24hours. Either way, good luck with it an enjoy
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting take as I thought it was too quiet but with that said, just perfect for the street. In normal mode, it sounds like stock as you still have the side mufflers working. In sport mode, it doesn't even get loud until the butterfly valves work their magic.

My wife and I drove the car to a party 45 min (street and highway driving) from our house this past Saturday night and she commented on how quiet it was in the cabin. We were able to have a nice conversation, listen to music, etc.

Are you sure the vacuum lines to the butterfly valves are working properly?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 AM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That first car was built to look like the hybrid I believe, positive that it is a wrap job, and pretty sure it has a cup wing too. I know that it is not a cup though.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,724 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Interesting take as I thought it was too quiet but with that said, just perfect for the street. In normal mode, it sounds like stock as you still have the side mufflers working. In sport mode, it doesn't even get loud until the butterfly valves work their magic.

My wife and I drove the car to a party 45 min (street and highway driving) from our house this past Saturday night and she commented on how quiet it was in the cabin. We were able to have a nice conversation, listen to music, etc.

Are you sure the vacuum lines to the butterfly valves are working properly?
Yea, I checked. Everything is working properly. I guess I'm not use to all that noise in the cabin. I've got a non-resonated valved Milltek on my RS4 and everyone tells me it's loud but the cabin is so isolated, it doesn't sound loud.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks

No, it is a RS with a rear cup wing. It does have a wrap on it and is done really well. Nicely setup car for sure.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't drive mine without 'Sport' on....To get milk or ???
Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Yea, I checked. Everything is working properly. I guess I'm not use to all that noise in the cabin. I've got a non-resonated valved Milltek on my RS4 and everyone tells me it's loud but the cabin is so isolated, it doesn't sound loud.
As others have said, give it some time....

I bet you'll climatize to the "new and improved" Mezger Soundtrack!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Maybe I'm getting hard of hearing but I heard virtually NO DIFFERENCE between the RSS and the stock center muffler when NOT in sport mode and with the butterfly valves not actuated.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Maybe I'm getting hard of hearing but I heard virtually NO DIFFERENCE between the RSS and the stock center muffler when NOT in sport mode and with the butterfly valves not actuated.
Agree, there's very little difference IMO as well...

BUT the the sound change when the exhaust valve actuates.... with the stock center muffler vs RSS or Sharky by-pass... was so extreme I ended up unplugging the solenoid and leaving it "loud" all the time!!

Sound is sooooo subjective!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I've been debating doing that as I get frustrated when I hear the beautiful growl and then it comes and goes depending on rpm and throttle response I WANT IT ALL THE TIME!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

EXACTLY.....!!

thats why I unplugged it!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are hard core

Mine is plugged with a stripped interior and sharkwerks center section. It's way too loud for the street IMO. I can hear my wife coming from 1/2 a mile away. Can't hear the radio or make a phone call etc....

It's perfect for the track though

Quick Reply: Just installed the RSS X-Pipe.