997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Carnage at Sebring this Weekend....

Old 12-14-2011, 09:40 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Carnage at Sebring this Weekend....

Wet weather on the track is no joke. Unfortunately, it rained like a bitch this weekend at Sebring. The day before and the day after were spectacular (murphy's law), but naturally Saturday and Sunday had monsoon like rain conditions. I didn't even bother running at all on Saturday.

Now I've seen a couple start finish incidents before in the wet, but not like this one. They always issues warnings about coasting over this particular area of the track and this is why:

Initial point of impact approximately 25 yards after the S/F line.

The final resting place approximately 50 yards further down the track. The driver walked away. Says a lot about the car as he was in standard seats with 3 points.

Randy (Izzone) managed to talk the registrar into sticking Reter (Trakcar) into pairing him with a 22 year old kid with a 700hp viper. With pretty much zero track experience. While I was laughing at Reter's perspective day instructing in that particular vehicle, he managed to flip the script on me and pull the "I don't fit in the viper" card while he was standing next to me and my services as an instructor were subsequently volunteered

Anyway, once again the wet weather comes into play. I spent most of the day telling my student what a death trap his car is, even in the hands of an experienced driver in hopes that would put some good healthy fear into his head. Which it did. I was impressed with his restraint. However, "Hello Mr. Wall. Please meet Mr. Viper's rear quarter panel." eventually happened. If you skip to about 11 minutes you can see it goes from light rain to downright pouring. At this point I had him slow wayyyyyy down. Despite, the rear end came around while taking a gentle turn around T9. Again, he was going pretty slow, Maybe 60. Road speeds. But with around 600 foot pounds at 2k rpm on sport cups, it doesn't take much. You can hear him just breathe on the throttle right before. And that's all it took. Naturally the impact was on my side Fortunately for both of us, neither were hurt and unbelievably he walked away with a scratch on his fender. He gets the "Second luckiest guy at Sebring" award that weekend.

My student on Sunday had a 650TT and it was his first time at Sebring, 3rd time on a track. I think Randy plans all this just to F with me PSM came into play more than a few times. Luckily he decided to pack it in towards the end of the day, deciding that nothing had happened and he wanted to end the day on a good note. Good call on his part.

Now this guy gets my nomination for the "Luckiest Guy at Sebring" that weekend. I shot this video while running in the blue group. If there was ever a time for him to go out and buy some powerball tickets, this is it. I talked to him afterwards and he wasn't sure what happened. He stopped short of the wall by about a foot. Maybe....

It wasn't all bad that weekend despite the weather. Bored GT3 rennlisters will naturally get involved with some shenanigans...

Here's a shot of us illegally using the skid pad for 2 hours. Once the track found out... Well lets just say they weren't happy about it since they normally charge $2500 a day

The GBG racing team joined in as well with some of their race 3.8 caymans. Their manager thought it would be interesting to bring the golf cart on there. And somehow managed to get it drifting.

With the crappy weather Chip (don't remember his screen name) brought the baller wagon out on track. Izzone has a baller wagon as well. We tried to instigate a "3 Lap X5 Cup Race" but Randy chickened out with some nonsense about it being his work vehicle

This, I'm just throwing in for good measure. No comment necessary. How does it go? A picture is worth a thousand words.

And here's some video of me sandbagging in the blue group on Sunday. One of only two dry sessions I got out there all weekend. It was pretty much take what you can get if the sky is dry at that point. Nothing terribly exciting here.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I skip the rain on track days, especially on a concrete surface. Concrete is high grip in the dry, and no grip in the rain.

I was at Watkins Glen one time in heavy rain (back in 2004) going 80mph on the main straight on Michelin Sport Cups, Solo group, these are the days when GT3 were not known in U.S. (they have been out since late 1998 in other markets). Most drivers in my run group bragging about blowing by my doors left and right, how slow I am, etc.

That was a strong hit, the Lexus held quite well, safe car. It makes me want to buy one of those LF-A NRing (read Chris Harris on latest Evo about this car at the Nurburgring, revealing).
Old 12-14-2011, 10:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Despite, the rear end came around while taking a gentle turn around T9. Again,
Pretty sure that's T11.

Thanks for the post!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad I choose to stay north this weekend and run at Barber. Cold definitely trumps rain
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crazy Day!! Yeah I was at MSR in Cresson and it rained ALL weekend long. What a miserable wknd!!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Pretty sure that's T11.

Thanks for the post!
It was 9. It's the straight before turn 10. I spent most of Sunday looking at our skidmarks in the grass that run right into the wall
Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It looks like a skunk instead of a Prancing Horse on the Vette, IMO.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
It was 9. It's the straight before turn 10. I spent most of Sunday looking at our skidmarks in the grass that run right into the wall
Reter is correct that is T11/12. You just went through T10....don't you know the track by now?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Pretty sure that's T11.
Originally Posted by deputydog95
It was 9.
Originally Posted by mdrums
Reter is correct that is T11/12.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

http://sebringraceway.com/track_map.lasso

O and I was passenger in the black baller X5 Diesel SUV. Tons of fun, the brakes lasted on 3 laps, but I bet it was faster then the 2005 Mustang GT of my student We even passed a Miata and were faster than it in the CORNERS.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Reter is correct that is T11/12. You just went through T10....don't you know the track by now?

You and Peter are right. I had a few too many drinks last night. On a school night no less. Head was a little foggy this morning when posting.

The irony is that despite getting my corner numbers wrong I'm still faster than you. You keep memorizing the corner numbers and I'll keep working on my lines
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a very hard impact by that Lexus. Nice to hear he walked away ok
Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer

Nothing like being adamant when I'm wrong. Maybe I should have kept drinking cause sobering up didn't seem to help and it's not nearly as much fun
Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather stay in bed than run Sebring in the rain. Too many frightening customer tales of disaster...
Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Lil doggie since when are you faster than me? Yeah you on cheater Hoosiers and me on crappy used R888's....stop running around in blue group... Is was looking for you last weekend

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carnage at Sebring this Weekend....