997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Florida invades Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011 | 11:33 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Chris was asked if he had 100k to spend for a car for daily driving and say 6 track days a year what would he get. Ding Ding M3 was his answer.

LFA owner was a butt head really full of him self and trying to shill the new Atlanta Motorsports Park anytime he had a chance.

Peter. Proudly driving a Ring Warrior

Peter.
Old 12-06-2011 | 09:01 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
Most discouraging thing he said was in reference to the conversation he had with a high up AMG exec....

Basically got him liquored up, and tried to get info out of him. Then asked about high performance cars and how long the trend would last. The AMG exec said based on his understanding, he doubts it will last past 15 more years. Enjoy your cars and hobby boys....

The weekend turned out to be really really fun. I enjoyed Road Atlanta immensely, especially the blind uphill turns. (***** of steel to take those at WOT) Burke definitely got into the groove the second day, which was encouraging to see. Not easy coming back from a high speed spin the week before.

Izzone was of course the typical ******* of the weekend. Whenever he saw me coming up on him in 85Gold's M3, he would just waive at me, and block me the entire session. Pretty hilarious actually. 85Gold is an absolute riot. Guy is seriously classic, and it was cool finally meeting him. And yes, DeputyDog snores louder than BigFoot....
You're be 45 with an overweight hairy wife who speaks little english and 7 little greek kids by then going to 14 different birthday parties on the weekends. I would not be concerned at this point
Old 12-06-2011 | 09:04 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Perfect. To h*ll with the nostalgia - straight to the point
That's because he doesn't pay for parts or have to try and find track tires that actually fit.

If I just arrived and drived I would take the 997 too!
Old 12-06-2011 | 09:08 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

agreed. ap would say the same thing.
Old 12-06-2011 | 10:05 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
That's because he doesn't pay for parts or have to try and find track tires that actually fit.

If I just arrived and drived I would take the 997 too!
I was speaking more to chorus of naysayers on the 991 that think the 997 was/is the last "real" Porsche. But to your point, assuming I understand your comment I'm surprised that you'd think older Porsche parts are that much cheaper than 997 parts. As for track tires, the easy solution is to go with 18" wheels for your track set and be done with it.

For me cheap and Porsche have never mixed. If cheap is the primary driver there's always karts and Spec Miatas.

Last edited by Nizer; 12-06-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2011 | 10:34 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Cheap is a relative term, but my god, 996 and some 997.1 parts are piles of cash cheaper than a 997.2.

Centerlocks = fml
Old 12-06-2011 | 10:45 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
Cheap is a relative term, but my god, 996 and some 997.1 parts are piles of cash cheaper than a 997.2.

Centerlocks = fml

Inexpensive not cheap. I don't think 996/997 parts are that much different in price in fact a lot are the same. Now for consumables 6GT3 has it good. Tires NT01's are good and inexpensive and using Cayenne front rotors at $100 each definently helps, OZ Aleggerita rims for $1600 and of course a $50 Torque Wrench.

Peter
Old 12-06-2011 | 06:00 PM
mikeoR32
Instructor

Originally Posted by Izzone
Enjoy.......I laugh everytime I read it

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins
Thanks for the link Randy, that was one of the most entertaining reads I've had in a while.
Old 12-06-2011 | 06:39 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Good to re-read this. In the world today it is so refreshing to read what Chris Harris writes as its probably the most truthful opinion in print.
Old 12-06-2011 | 08:55 PM
kaamacat
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
Good to re-read this. In the world today it is so refreshing to read what Chris Harris writes as its probably the most truthful opinion in print.
++ on that. Along with in any video review, you can just read his body language and get a review as-well, sometimes even moreso.
Old 12-07-2011 | 10:02 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
I was speaking more to chorus of naysayers on the 991 that think the 997 was/is the last "real" Porsche. But to your point, assuming I understand your comment I'm surprised that you'd think older Porsche parts are that much cheaper than 997 parts. As for track tires, the easy solution is to go with 18" wheels for your track set and be done with it.

For me cheap and Porsche have never mixed. If cheap is the primary driver there's always karts and Spec Miatas.
I have 18" track wheels. Zippo for good track tire choices, or at least anything of value.

Until I have Nizer $$$, cost will be a concern for me. I track my car fairly frequently. Gets expensive quick. For those that haven't hit powerball, I think the 996 is a better track day car. Way lower cost of admission, lots of aftermarket and used part availability, and tons of good bang for the buck track tire choices.

Newer porsches will always be better than older porsches. That's a fact. They don't go backwards. However, for a car that is going to be beat on mercilessly and potentially destroyed (knock on wood), the 996 is a better idea for those that spend their free time going in circles at 8k rpm IMO of course.
Old 12-07-2011 | 10:03 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
It was even more interesting to hear him talk about it in person. He's a pretty neat guy and has a great way about him of expressing his opinions without sounding like he's biased one way or the other. He's the fox news of auto journalism
Old 12-07-2011 | 10:17 AM
jenk12m
Banned

During his 5 minute diatribe, he made sure to let everyone know that he got the first one in the US blah blah blah. He trailered it to the track and just moved it around the parking lot leaving the hood popped wherever he went. He actually parked it next to the driver's meeting with the hood up, and then after the meeting moved it back to his parking spot and popped the hood again. I don't think it even got close to being on track that weekend. Something tells me this guy should have got a corvette instead
I believe I've met the LFA guy before
Old 12-07-2011 | 10:45 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Some of the crowd decided to make it more about them than him though and wanted to hear the sound of their own voices so it got a bit off track. One particular owner of a very exclusive Lexus ended up taking up about 5 mins telling us all about his car and himself. Seemed way inappropriate considering who was the guest of honor.... Then again this particular guy also wore a racing suit to dinner. Which took place 3 hours after the track event ended.
The Lexus guy was priceless, especially when he pulled up to the Sunday morning drivers meeting and revved up the engine to draw attention to him and his car. I agree he definitely wanted to let everyone at the Saturday dinner that he was the Lexus guy.

The Chin event at Road Atlanta was a great weekend, it was my first time at RA and I hope to return again next year. The Saturday evening dinner with Chris was great, very interesting guy, I really liked his story about Ferrari and their disdain for him, quite amusing to say the least.

Last edited by Polarporsche; 12-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2011 | 11:14 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Gets expensive quick. For those that haven't hit powerball, I think the 996 is a better track day car. Way lower cost of admission, lots of aftermarket and used part availability, and tons of good bang for the buck track tire choices.
most of folks here want to track a porsche car, not just a best/better economical track car. if one looks for such car it is obviously either spec miata or 3.2L E36 based M3 car.

if you speak of old 3.4L 996 C2 car - i am not sure it is such a great idea to track it with original M96 engine, but, who knows. if you speak of 996 gt3 - it is great car but i think its maintenance will be same if not more than of 997 gt3 car as older cars do suck in more money no matter what.

Quick Reply: Florida invades Georgia