Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Sport Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Sport Cup?

I see that the Pirelli Trofeo is now in stock and available at some of the on line performance tire places.

I'm doen with Toyo R888's....they heat cycle out way too fast and the top r-compud tread does not stay on the tire....between what I've experience with splitting seems and odd wear (see current new post) I don't trust the R888 anylonger.

So, since I drive to and from the track and just enjoy DE's for what they are I need a r-comp sticky tire that sticks at least as good as the R888 but lasts longer.

I see plenty on MPSC's at the track and they seem to last, stick and work well for what they are.

Any thoughts on the 2nd newest version of the Pirelli Trofeo vs the MPSC?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The reports are that Trofeo are almost Hoosier fast and last about as long as a Hoosier - that's only 1/2 of what you are looking for. Now, this is something that you are going to have to check, I thought they pulled the tire to possibly 'reformulate' the compound to make it last longer - I have no idea if this is true I just heard it somewhere.

It is a fast tire that can be driven to the track - haven't heard any performance negatives about the tire other than how long they last.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I told you about my experience with the MPSC. Remember that the OEM Porsche tires are N1 spec, and I know that there are differences between N1, N2, and so. So far nothing good about the MPSC. No longitudinal grip, and chunks flying off the tire.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Would be interesting to hear any feedback on the trofeos
Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Mike, I told you about my experience with the MPSC. Remember that the OEM Porsche tires are N1 spec, and I know that there are differences between N1, N2, and so. So far nothing good about the MPSC. No longitudinal grip, and chunks flying off the tire.
Yep, just getting some feedback. Your are the only ones I've seen that chunked. I was going to maybe get the Pirelli Corsa but I've seen a few de-lamed side walls and ViperBob told me to stay away from the Pirelli's....plus the are more expensive than the MPSC's.

Eveyone has there own opinion on tires so I just gathering opinions on a good drive to the track R-Compound tire. I need to order something either tomorrow or on Monday at the latest. I have a Chin Sebring event with pro coach Chris Hall on Sunday Dec 11th that my awesome wife surprised me with and after looking at my Toyo R888's I can't drive those anymore.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I have not tried the Trofeos. There was a mix up at my tire shop when I was going to try them and my set had been sold. As mentioned above I understand their grip is fantastic but they will not last much more than one to two weekends.

I have run several sets of the MPSC and one set of the R888. I know this was not one of your choices but I would try the RE-11. I am on my second set of them more than 2 years and 8000 miles. IMO they offer as much grip as the R888 last longer and do not sound like snow tires when driven on the highway. They last longer than the OEM MPSC and offer maybe slightly less grip than the MPSC however IMO they are more consistent through an entire 25 minute session. I found the MPSC would get greasy and fall off after about 15 minutes.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I was looking at the trofeo's ... don't know anything about them, but I think it could be nice to have some feedback.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I have not tried the Trofeos. There was a mix up at my tire shop when I was going to try them and my set had been sold. As mentioned above I understand their grip is fantastic but they will not last much more than one to two weekends.

I have run several sets of the MPSC and one set of the R888. I know this was not one of your choices but I would try the RE-11. I am on my second set of them more than 2 years and 8000 miles. IMO they offer as much grip as the R888 last longer and do not sound like snow tires when driven on the highway. They last longer than the OEM MPSC and offer maybe slightly less grip than the MPSC however IMO they are more consistent through an entire 25 minute session. I found the MPSC would get greasy and fall off after about 15 minutes.
In my opinion the MPSC are not an option, as they are 2-3 seconds slower than Toyos RA-1 and the feel is not great.
One weekend for the Trofeos put them in a new territory as you can get more than 6 days out of a Hoosier.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:21 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
In my opinion the MPSC are not an option, as they are 2-3 seconds slower than Toyos RA-1 and the feel is not great.
One weekend for the Trofeos put them in a new territory as you can get more than 6 days out of a Hoosier.
Agreed. I do not care for the MPSC either.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I have tried two sets of MPSC, the first set chunked, and the seconds ones became street only use tires. I would never buy them again. I haven't tried the Trofeo's, but have heard positive things about them.

I now run R6's and there is a huge difference between them and R comps, so much so that I couldn't go back, they are "DOT Approved" but not too great in the wet.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Geesh...is there any r-compound drive to the track tire (in production) out there that anyone likes?????

R888's EVERY one hates
MPSC... a lot of people hate
Pirelli Corsa....the other group of people hate...plus they cost too much
Pirelli Trofeo...most don't know about them

Hoosiers are out of the questions plus they only last for 3 DE days and are done. If Pirelli Trofeos are like this I'm not interested.

996toomey...you and NJ-GT like the B'Stone RE11's...but I'm not sure I want something slower than a R888. I need to think about them.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:42 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

All of the 'serious' Porsche track guys in the middle east have Trofeos on their cars. If you can afford them, it is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. As the President of the Porsche Club UAE and 7-time UAE GT championship winner jokingly said once about Trofeos: "nobody should need this much grip!" I recently had an issue with one (sidewall longitudinal tear after one track day) which Pirelli replaced under warranty. Other than that, nothing but good things to report. On a track like the Dubai Autodrome (5.4km in GP configuration) they are good for a 4s advantage on MPSCs. Amazing dry grip, phenomenal hot grip, which they keep until the thread is gone.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't mind the Yokohama 048's, and I hear that people like the Nitto's....don't know which one though.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
Geesh...is there any r-compound drive to the track tire (in production) out there that anyone likes?????

R888's EVERY one hates
MPSC... a lot of people hate
Pirelli Corsa....the other group of people hate...plus they cost too much
Pirelli Trofeo...most don't know about them

Hoosiers are out of the questions plus they only last for 3 DE days and are done. If Pirelli Trofeos are like this I'm not interested.

996toomey...you and NJ-GT like the B'Stone RE11's...but I'm not sure I want something slower than a R888. I need to think about them.
I do not think they are slower than the R888. NJGT has the data on that I think. I personally like them much better than the R888. One set of the R888 was enough for me.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
All of the 'serious' Porsche track guys in the middle east have Trofeos on their cars. If you can afford them, it is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. As the President of the Porsche Club UAE and 7-time UAE GT championship winner jokingly said once about Trofeos: "nobody should need this much grip!" I recently had an issue with one (sidewall longitudinal tear after one track day) which Pirelli replaced under warranty. Other than that, nothing but good things to report. On a track like the Dubai Autodrome (5.4km in GP configuration) they are good for a 4s advantage on MPSCs. Amazing dry grip, phenomenal hot grip, which they keep until the thread is gone.
Agree with this too. If money was not a factor I would run the Trofeos.

Quick Reply: Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Sport Cup?