Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tech1 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:32 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
For what it is worth I know of a set of ccw that cracked from use.
Probably not after 2 to 3 sessions on the first outing Randy or so the story goes... GTEE3 may chime in and clarify...
Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Let me state some Facts:
-there are NO left hand curbs to "whack" at Road America,
-my "refund" was after a $500 shipping deduction for 2 boxes (50lbs @) from Wi. to Mo.,
-I (like 911Rox) endured missed several track days, tire changes, ect. trying to get Tech1 wheels to fit.,
-I do feel fortunate that I did not wreck my RS.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:59 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
jps is lotus!!!
though nevertheless, black and light gold BBS is ****.
reter is thinking of french's 935
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a painful thread for so many people for so many reasons. Back in 2009 I bought a set of Tech1 wheels in a mesh design for my then 2009 C4S, looked great, fit great, super light.

In 2010 I bought a set for my Spyder, much delayed in shipping, but looked great and fit great. Super strong and light. Loved them.

Bought a centerlock set for my 3RS, much delayed in shipping, rear wheels incorrectly machined at centerlock so that the o-ring of the CL nut didn't have any material to seat into. Not fatal though and was able to use the wheels. Mike had the design updated and sent me a new set of rear wheels at no charge. It took six months, but I did get them.

Everyone knows I do a ton of track days and my Tech1's have held up under this use with no problems whatsoever. Before I installed the Tech1's, I managed to bend two OE wheels.

On track in July I hit a hole that had eroded in front of a berm. The result was a badly blistered tire (I replaced) and a barely dented Tech1 wheel which held up amazingly well given the impact.

A few weeks ago while wandering the displays at the SEMA show in Vegas I saw some familiar looking wheels and stopped to talk to the person at the booth- it was Mike Burroughs We had conversation covering a lot of ground, and upon relaying my berm-hit story he told me he had a wheel in his garage that would fit and would send it off to get anodized and have it sent to me. At no charge.

My point to posting is to share that there are multiple facets to all of this. Myself and others have had issues including delays and incorrect fitments. Eventually my issues were fully resolved and I am the happy owner of light and strong Tech1's on my 3RS. 911Rox and I have had a good bit of behind the scenes communication over the past couple years and I consider him to be a friend and level headed guy and I know he was deeply frustrated.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mike knows wheels as much or better than anyone in the industry. He has some technical posts over on 6Speed and TeamSpeed going back several years that are worthy of searching out. He has certainly had a trial by fire over the past year. If that which does not kill him serves to make him stronger, then I am hopeful that going forward Forged Wheel Engineering will provide a new level of fitment, refinement and service.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

1. i saw the pic of GT3's wheel. it's not wacked. it's just failure and should be replaced from of shipping and quickly. even if he did wack whatever, when the wheels are so new, most manufacturer would have just taken care of it. CCW and even my not so favorite Fikse did that for me.

2. shipping delay is the absolute worse thing a business can do. my family is in manufacturing. over 60 years, we never missed a deadline, this including typhoon and earthquake in taiwan. you cannot miss deadlines. it's very simple. if you miss the line, ppl die, that's what it's called deadline. however, you can always say it will take 2 years to build a set of wheels and then deliver it ahead of deadline. though some customers like myself cannot wait that long.

3. i held my breath long enough. i have had heard of 3 sets of these wheels not fitting and witness 2 other sets (they sat in my garage so i am an eye witness), that simply does not fit. these are not my wheels, gladly. but i have had a lot of wheels and destroyed probably more than pro teams. when i say they dont fit, the dont fit... certainly five lugs will not fit onto a CL .. that's one of the sets..... if a manufacture were to ship something wrong, it needs to be rectified immediately. it's no longer a money issue, but an integrity issue.

4. btw, it may not have been "total failure" but it's about to become a total failure if he kept driving. while there may not be OBVIOUS manufacturing defects, there were no obvious user error either. the wheel had no scuff on it, how was it wacked? if i fabricated those wheels, and show that crack, i would ship several sets of new wheels just to make it right.

anyways, at least my buds got some $ back and no one died... so that's not too bad..

randy, the CCW that failed was driven by you know who... he cannot stop kissing curbs on that oh so rough track LOL. but i think john send him new wheels without question asked like he does with me.

anyways, to each his own.. and i am very biased when it comes to wheels.

on a lighter note, should i get ligtwt, ZIPP, or campy bora for my new c59? btw, i wrcked my C50, the ksyrium remained straight, but C50 was mangled... go figure.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

1. i saw the pic of GT3's wheel. it's not wacked. it's just failure and should be replaced from of shipping and quickly. even if he did wack whatever, when the wheels are so new, most manufacturer would have just taken care of it. CCW and even my not so favorite Fikse did that for me.

2. shipping delay is the absolute worse thing a business can do. my family is in manufacturing. over 60 years, we never missed a deadline, this including typhoon and earthquake in taiwan. you cannot miss deadlines. it's very simple. if you miss the line, ppl die, that's what it's called deadline. however, you can always say it will take 2 years to build a set of wheels and then deliver it ahead of deadline. though some customers like myself cannot wait that long.

3. i held my breath long enough. i have had heard of 3 sets of these wheels not fitting and witness 2 other sets (they sat in my garage so i am an eye witness), that simply does not fit. these are not my wheels, gladly. but i have had a lot of wheels and destroyed probably more than pro teams. when i say they dont fit, the dont fit... certainly five lugs will not fit onto a CL .. that's one of the sets..... if a manufacture were to ship something wrong, it needs to be rectified immediately. it's no longer a money issue, but an integrity issue.

4. btw, it may not have been "total failure" but it's about to become a total failure if he kept driving. while there may not be OBVIOUS manufacturing defects, there were no obvious user error either. the wheel had no scuff on it, how was it wacked? if i fabricated those wheels, and show that crack, i would ship several sets of new wheels just to make it right.

anyways, at least my buds got some $ back and no one died... so that's not too bad..

randy, the CCW that failed was driven by you know who... he cannot stop kissing curbs on that oh so rough track LOL. but i think john send him new wheels without question asked like he does with me.

on a lighter note, should i get ligtwt, ZIPP, or campy bora for my new c59? btw, i wrcked my C50, the ksyrium remained straight, but C50 was mangled... go figure.
Lol

Yes he kisses curbs.....me too

Cow did replace no questions asked
Old 11-26-2011, 12:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Izzone
Lol

Yes he kisses curbs.....me too

Cow did replace no questions asked
hey if you want to be fast, hit the curb hard.
especially tight turns. it helps "rotate" the rear and scare the car behind you.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:24 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
Thanks again to all of you who continue to support our products. I would love to hear from you in this thread.

Hey Mooty, not sure this is the kind of fan mail he was hoping for but I'm sure he thanks you for sharing...

Last edited by 911rox; 11-26-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

With some many other good no issues wheels on the market...why would anyone buy a set of Tech1 wheels? I've never heard of Tech1, seen them at a race or anything of the sort. I certainly will never ever buy a set of these or any wheels built by the guy behind this operation.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jps is lotus!!!
though nevertheless, black and light gold BBS is ****.
I had my SE Racing PK Ripper 20" BMX Bike in that color combo. We had them not place any decals on the frame from the Factory. Had special "simulated" gold decals made and sent all the metal bits off to get plated. Too bad it only took a little less than a month for it to get stolen.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Thank you for the feedback, both positive and negative.
I will continue to work hard to treat everyone with fairness and professionalism.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
Thank you for the feedback, both positive and negative.
I will continue to work hard to treat everyone with fairness and professionalism.
Mike how are you? Long time.

Ranger
Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

ZIPP it.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I've cracked just about every wheel that I've ever had on the rear, multiple brands, all very highly regarded. Most teams used to throw the magnesium BBS's out after 1 or 2 seasons because of that reason, or find a sucker to buy the used one of them to put on a street GT3. Aluminium centers are better, but I'm under no illusion that they are unbreakable. Send me a set, give me a year and I'll prove it to you :-).
Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Erik
I've cracked just about every wheel that I've ever had on the rear, multiple brands, all very highly regarded. Most teams used to throw the magnesium BBS's out after 1 or 2 seasons because of that reason, or find a sucker to buy the used one of them to put on a street GT3. Aluminium centers are better, but I'm under no illusion that they are unbreakable. Send me a set, give me a year and I'll prove it to you :-).
i thought you are much lighter than reter?

Quick Reply: Tech1 wheels