Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 4.0 Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS 4.0 Winter Tires

My son and I are planning a long road trip after Thanksgiving to celebrate the 4.0 which arrived 10 days ago. We're going basically from Texas to LA. The best roads, I think, are in New Mexico, Colorado and Utah. So, we might run into a little snow (we plan to check weather and avoid snow if possible) and certainly it will be cold in the morning. And it could rain.

I was assuming we needed all-season or winter tires. But I realized I race in the rain with less tread than is on the Pilots.

1. Can I run the stock summer tires?
2. If not, recommendations for wheels/tires?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would urge you to keep an eagle eye on weather as you do your trip. Spectacular roads that can turn into a living nightmare for the unprepared at that time of year. Your owners manual has winter tire sizing and if it were me I would put on snow rated tires if I were determined to do that trip.

Last year I drove a GT3RS across the Sierras on I-80 to and from tracks and it only took one time and 60 miles of getting caught in rain changing to sleet and snow to never ever want to experience that again. It was terrifying.

Today driving my 4.0 it was loving the 35 degree temps (dense air), and I could break loose the rear tires in second gear at will (cold roads w/summer tires).
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Yeah, I've been caught in snow before and it isn't good with summer tires.

The tire sizes are clear (235/35 19 front and 295/30 19 rear). There is a Continental DWS all-season and two winter tires (Pirelli and Bridgestone) in those sizes. For what we're trying to do I'm leaning toward the Conti.

For wheels, I assume I can use the Turbo S center locks?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with that. I would sty clean or Utah and Co. I remember the first time I was driving in snow going downhill and having to lift my foot off the throttle. Even at 15-20 mph the reared demands to be in front. Stay south and get to LA sooner and spend the extra time in the twisty back roads in Southern California. The LA guys could provide a never ending list of fun drives.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:01 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Good advice above. Congrats on the 4.0.

In the event of a mishap the insurance company assessor will check the tires.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleblack
Good advice above. Congrats on the 4.0.

In the event of a mishap the insurance company assessor will check the tires.
Could you please expand on this statement?

I have never heard of an insurance company denying a claim based on a car tires that were DOT approved road tires, regardless of whether they were designed or not designed for the season in use. I'd like to know more.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i drove from nyc to limerock 2 wks ago (october) for a track day in my gtr with all season tires. freak snow storm hit on way home and had major trouble getting up a hill near the hiway on ramp. if it wasnt for luck of a snow plow going by at the right moment, i would have had to spend nite in car. and thats without any warm cloths, food, water, etc. and thats with awd. be careful
Old 11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
s4awd
Advanced

I agree with Savyboy. I've also done trackdays in my RS with heavy rain with no issues other than being frustrated that I have to have my windows open. But I absolutely would not dare drive my RS if there was any hint of snow, black ice or freezing rain even with all seasons. White knuckle driving at 15 mph is not something you want to do for more than a few minutes, nevermind a few hours.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:59 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I would also think you'd want to avoid CO/UT that time of the year. I used to live in Aspen, CO and they can easily get a foot of snow that time of the year, most ski resorts are already open by then for a reason. I don't think an RS 4.0 even with snow tires would fare too well, not enough ground clearance.

You're probably better off taking the southern route through NM/AZ and save the UT/CO trip for the summer.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:52 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Could you please expand on this statement?
I have never heard of an insurance company denying a claim based on a car tires that were DOT approved road tires, regardless of whether they were designed or not designed for the season in use. I'd like to know more.
I checked this today with a broker and his response was "if your tires are DOT approved you are covered, no question". Therefore any implication of non-coverage was/ is incorrect according to this source. Apologies for undue concern. My original statement stemmed from a previous experience in which a few interesting challenges to a claim were attempted by the policy issuer. They are not directly relevant here.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

this is an el nina year. So colder temperatures are to be expected.

i would avoid the trip altogether.

But if you must, then go winter specific on your stock wheels.

your stock wheels have TPMS.

Can you hold off until the spring or summer? Road salt kills the underbody bits.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:59 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it in the garage or plan your trip through dry states. How about a shorter trip for the same occasion? Anyway, good luck to both you and your son on the occasion!

I love my 4.0 and I am sure you do too.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
this is an el nina year. So colder temperatures are to be expected.

i would avoid the trip altogether.

But if you must, then go winter specific on your stock wheels.

your stock wheels have TPMS.

Can you hold off until the spring or summer? Road salt kills the underbody bits.
Stock rear 12" wheels will not work with 295 snow tires - learn from me. I did this 4 years ago when I bought 295 conti snows from Tirerack - they sent them on 12" Volk rims - it looked rediculous and I'm sure would not have held - you need 11s or 10s - I now have 11" Volks for the rears.

If the 4.0 were not CL wheels, I would lend you my set for your trip.

Buy or borrow a set of snows locally if you can - make the epic journey with your son - life is short - do it while you can.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the smaller tires will hold on the 12" wheels although they look ridiculous on the inside, where the naked barrel of the wheel protrudes. I bought a set of 996 GT3 wheels to run snow tires on my 997 GT3 but I guess that option is unavailable for centerlocks.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Thanks, guys. Based on this input, I've re-planned the trip through NM and AZ. We can either avoid or bail from high elevations more easily there. And I put in a few interesting roads in TX and CA.

Unfortunately, mountains yield the most interesting roads.

Quick Reply: RS 4.0 Winter Tires