Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question on seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts
Default Question on seats

Just wondering which would be best for the larger driver?
I'm considering the sport bucket seats (if I can find them), the GT2 seats, the 996 GT3 seats, or an aftermarket seat like the Recaro Profi XL. The sport buckets and GT2 seats have the benefit of thorax airbags, the others do not.

Which would be a better fit for a driver who is 5'11", 210#, 38" waist?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Try them before you buy, but I fit fine in the OEM Sport buckets = GT2RS seats.
Your car does not have them??

6"4" 250lbs 38 waist.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Try them before you buy, but I fit fine in the OEM Sport buckets = GT2RS seats.
Your car does not have them??

6"4" 250lbs 38 waist.
Sorry, I should have been more specific - this would be for a Boxster Spyder that the original owner ordered with regular sport seats. So the height matters too - I need to keep the helmet below the roll hoops.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

At only 5'11 the Porsche Sport Buckets will be perfect for you. Plus since they have the air bags in the seats like the other stock seats that come with the car you will still be fine with your street insurance company if in a accident on the street.

If this car will never be on the street then there are a lot of other choices in seats from Sparco, Recaro, OMP and so forth that cost less and DO NOT have the side impact seat air bags that your car was Federally tested and approved for.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The drivers seat sits lower than the passenger so you should definitely be ok with a helmet on. I would also recommend trying before buying. I'm 5'8" and weigh about 180 with a 34 waist, the seats are slightly loose for me except at the shoulders.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:36 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definetly sport buckets and Euro 996 GT3s. Anything else, I would recommend you sit in them before you buy.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
At only 5'11 the Porsche Sport Buckets will be perfect for you. Plus since they have the air bags in the seats like the other stock seats that come with the car you will still be fine with your street insurance company if in a accident on the street.

If this car will never be on the street then there are a lot of other choices in seats from Sparco, Recaro, OMP and so forth that cost less and DO NOT have the side impact seat air bags that your car was Federally tested and approved for.
You sound like a lawyer
Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
You sound like a lawyer
That's because 2 lawyers and my insruance agent and there underwriters spoke to me in detail about this during my selection of seats.

In all seriousness I consider the people on these forums as friends...even ones I have never met....and then the ones I know like YOU...good friends and I feel obligated to inform these friends with info I have learned.

I know what can happen in an accident and all that insurance company's and lawyers will look for and go after to get out of a claim or put you at fault and then own everything you have and try to destroy you.

I personally can not afford...nor could anyone here I bet...to be on the street in seats that are not federally approved for street use and/or change the federally approved saftey systems in their street car...and get into a wreck on the street and not have the cars complete air bag system function like it is approved to do.

Example #1...you are driving somewhere in your car with after market seats that do not have the side air bag's in them...you had a shop turn off the side air bags part of your system and turn off the air bag light....you get into an accident...side air bags are not there in these after market seats and you end up getting hurt...your insurance company will drop you instantly upon investigation of your car and it's tampered with air bag system...you will have no coverage of your car or hospitalization.

Example #2...you are driving somewhere with a passenger and get into an accident. Same deal as above you have after market seats with no side air bag protection in them thus you have altered the cars air bag system. Passenger gets hurt in the accident. Your insurance company will drop you due to what you've done to the cars designed safety system, the passengers insurance company and the lawyer they obtain will have a field day with you and your enjoyable life as you know it will be over.

all this just because someone can save a few dollars on after market seats that require you to tamper with the cars federally aproved and mandated air bag safety system.....NO THANKS!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
That's because 2 lawyers and my insruance agent and there underwriters spoke to me in detail about this during my selection of seats.

In all seriousness I consider the people on these forums as friends...even ones I have never met....and then the ones I know like YOU...good friends and I feel obligated to inform these friends with info I have learned.

I know what can happen in an accident and all that insurance company's and lawyers will look for and go after to get out of a claim or put you at fault and then own everything you have and try to destroy you.

I personally can not afford...nor could anyone here I bet...to be on the street in seats that are not federally approved for street use and/or change the federally approved saftey systems in their street car...and get into a wreck on the street and not have the cars complete air bag system function like it is approved to do.

Example #1...you are driving somewhere in your car with after market seats that do not have the side air bag's in them...you had a shop turn off the side air bags part of your system and turn off the air bag light....you get into an accident...side air bags are not there in these after market seats and you end up getting hurt...your insurance company will drop you instantly upon investigation of your car and it's tampered with air bag system...you will have no coverage of your car or hospitalization.

Example #2...you are driving somewhere with a passenger and get into an accident. Same deal as above you have after market seats with no side air bag protection in them thus you have altered the cars air bag system. Passenger gets hurt in the accident. Your insurance company will drop you due to what you've done to the cars designed safety system, the passengers insurance company and the lawyer they obtain will have a field day with you and your enjoyable life as you know it will be over.

all this just because someone can save a few dollars on after market seats that require you to tamper with the cars federally aproved and mandated air bag safety system.....NO THANKS!
+1. I want to add sport buckets but can't find them in sand beige for my Spyder. My car is street driven, I won't even consider non Porsche seats because of the potential liability from not having side air bags.

Quick Reply: Question on seats