Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

here's what they will kinda/sorta look like

Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes me want to go out and buy a .2 RS just so I can have the new SW wheels!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

lighter is better, no doubt.. I always wanted an 18" set for the 6.

but magnesium had/has? issues on wheels.
BBS gave up on it with the newer alu 88s, and Manthey is already (reluctantly) changing cracked Mg wheels under warranty.

How is this setup, stronger than alu wheels. Secret alloy? better manufacturing methods?

Ps. they look so good!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
DO IT.
both the RS and the wheels.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:09 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Hah... well I still have much love for the 5-lug vs the center lock Look at Doug and his neat 5lug conversion for the centerlock cars heh...
Originally Posted by 911SLOW
lighter is better, no doubt.. I always wanted an 18" set for the 6.

but magnesium had/has? issues on wheels.
BBS gave up on it with the newer alu 88s, and Manthey is already (reluctantly) changing cracked Mg wheels under warranty.

How is this setup, stronger than alu wheels. Secret alloy? better manufacturing methods?

Ps. they look so good!
Thanks John.. Lighter yes but really it's the strength/durability in terms of the track usage etc... In terms of the problems BBS had in the past I'd say that's an apples vs oranges comparo because you're comparing a one piece (ours) vs the a 3 piece. I too had the magnesium center and alu outer BBS wheels. The real issue was leakage and poor sealing between the pieces and not so much the magnesium fatiguing or anything... Mixing/matching different metallurgy is also not really helpful in wheel production. Not a secret alloy although I will say Champion and ourselves are using what is widely thought to be _the_ place for manufacturing. Indeed Champion has never had any failures in over 5 years of their wheels. I certainly didn't want to take this lightly (sorry for the pun!). There is a difference in price and indeed the alloys used. Same thing with cheap vs expensive carbon if you know what I mean.
Originally Posted by mooty
DO IT.
both the RS and the wheels.
You first... pusher! I'm still so happy in my ole Mk1 man. I miss my (your) 6GT3 a bit...
Old 10-15-2011, 09:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

To bad Erik does not have CL's, he should be tester at Sebring, he has cracked every rear wheel he ever owned, CCW, Fikse, Mag Cup BBS 3 piece..
Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do know what you mean about cheap carbon...

Will you be at SEMA?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
To bad Erik does not have CL's, he should be tester at Sebring, he has cracked every rear wheel he ever owned, CCW, Fikse, Mag Cup BBS 3 piece..
didnt you say erik is short and lwt

i wonder how his bicycle wheels are holding up LOL
Old 10-15-2011, 12:16 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster

Thanks John.. Lighter yes but really it's the strength/durability in terms of the track usage etc... In terms of the problems BBS had in the past I'd say that's an apples vs oranges comparo because you're comparing a one piece (ours) vs the a 3 piece. I too had the magnesium center and alu outer BBS wheels. The real issue was leakage and poor sealing between the pieces and not so much the magnesium fatiguing or anything... Mixing/matching different metallurgy is also not really helpful in wheel production. Not a secret alloy although I will say Champion and ourselves are using what is widely thought to be _the_ place for manufacturing. Indeed Champion has never had any failures in over 5 years of their wheels. I certainly didn't want to take this lightly (sorry for the pun!). There is a difference in price and indeed the alloys used. Same thing with cheap vs expensive carbon if you know what I mean.
Cheap carbon? Of course I know.. I learned by paying..

Actually, besides the 3p Mg vs Alu BBS wheel centers, I was referring to the old monoblock supercup magnesium BBS wheels and the new Manthey (again made by BBS) wheels..
All of them had/have issues. (cracks,failures, need to x-ray them annually etc.
.).. I was ready to buy a set and backed off..

But since you are using a different manufacturer, I trust that you'll have better results.

Any plans for 18" with 5l ?

Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2011, 12:07 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hmmm you know in a funny way I could see us eventually trying to do something like this. I don't know maybe if/once I get my own on a CL car then I could loan/lease 'em out to folks to "try" before the buy hah. With the amount of testing Kermit has gone through though and the 171s well.. I'm very very confident in 'em
Originally Posted by mklaskin
I do know what you mean about cheap carbon...

Will you be at SEMA?
Roger that.. it's a big big difference A Porsche Motorsport GT3 R Hybrid 8K wing blade vs say a so-cal "carbon" replica for 1.5k and well..
Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Cheap carbon? Of course I know.. I learned by paying..

Actually, besides the 3p Mg vs Alu BBS wheel centers, I was referring to the old monoblock supercup magnesium BBS wheels and the new Manthey (again made by BBS) wheels..
All of them had/have issues. (cracks,failures, need to x-ray them annually etc.
.).. I was ready to buy a set and backed off..

But since you are using a different manufacturer, I trust that you'll have better results.

Any plans for 18" with 5l ?

Sorry to hear that man The cheap carbon thing I had to learn myself too over the years. This is why I'm the dummy that will buy the motorsport 6 RS wing for 3K Euros back in the day or as above the GT3R- Hybrid wing vs the replicas and stuff

Oh I see which ones you meant. I should have realized the Manthey wheel and stuff. That one was indeed manufactured by a "competitor" for BBS/manthey and I know they had durability issues. I know some of the ones sold by Champion over the last 5 years have indeed been raced and hard. I don't believe that the same amount units were sold and out there but I do know that the cost to do them with the said place is about 2.5K cheaper. Not saying that way those were designed/made was poor but I know that I didn't fancy risking going down that road. I believe the manuf. blamed the design of the wheel and the wheel company blamed the manufacturing process. Fingers got pointed but either way we're at a pricier level and different place Put it this way they make OEM Mag wheels and have done for a number of years:P

Also race cars vs street cars racing does change things as far as how/where fatiguing can occur.

18 inch 5lug to be honest I was really keen on helping get these 17 pound aluminum wheels for HRE's race program going and so I have these on this car:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-gt...40-wheels.html

And on my ow car (over big brakes):

This shows you the weights:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...ok-wheels.html

At $4600 for these in alu I think they're KILLER and I for one am certainly going to encourage them to explore the MAG option. I'll nudge...

Champion does have an 18 inch MAG 5 spoke wheels I believe but only in widebody 996 fitment if I remember right;(

Sorry just back from Rennsport R and I am running on fumes:P
Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And installed on a MK2 GT3RS in red on the rear:

And in front:

You can see the offset is a bit more aggressive and the wheels are pushed out to the fender:

Front and rear:
Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^When I first saw that car at Livermore, I immediately thought those were the Champion MM20 magnesium wheels. Not to start any ****, but I'm genuinely curious what the differences are between the SW magnesium wheels and Champion MM20.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by edwin814
^When I first saw that car at Livermore, I immediately thought those were the Champion MM20 magnesium wheels. Not to start any ****, but I'm genuinely curious what the differences are between the SW magnesium wheels and Champion MM20.
Hi Edwin not at all. In a nut shell we actually worked very closely with Champion (who were very keen, helpful and worked together). There's differences but why change a good thing if you know what I mean. If someone calls for an MM20 for the narrowbody it's a Champion wheel. Where as for the widebody RS' it's a SharkWerks wheel from us or them. I can go into the minutia of the fitments/materials but
Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ic. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by edwin814
ic. Thanks.
You bet. I do want to tell anyone out there that Champion guys were so supportive/gracious and treated us so well. Truly something I don't expect in the industry

Quick Reply: Shark Werks Magnesium RS Centerlock Wheel Announcement