RSS 2pc LCA + rear duct picture

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RSS 2pc LCA + rear duct picture

Only posting this as an FYI.

For anyone who has order these, or may order these, the RSS Lower Control arm that comes with a monoball and caster puck, the rear Porsche brake ducts don't fit, as they should over these very slightly wider LCAs.

The picture shows how my shop re-attached the ducts
- basically 2 large hose clamps that go over the RSS LCA and then through the holes in the brake ducts where the 'teeth' from the upper piece, which no longer fits, would go.

In the picture, on the shock, you can also see a little 900LB sticker that Bilstein put on the shocks after they were revalved.

Last edited by 997gt3north; 10-14-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:45 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice! Have you taken the car to the track with the LCA yet? Did they make a difference?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Thanks to your comments directed to me earlier about this.... I've since re-attached my cooling ducts over the RSS Tarmac control arms, using your technique!

Thanks!!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by sin911
Nice! Have you taken the car to the track with the LCA yet? Did they make a difference?
As I have posted, I did a whole bunch of stuff to the suspension, basically all at once, with a little gap here and there waiting for stuff, that I can't attribute the car's change in feel to any piece in particular.

The biggest change, by far, is from re-valving the shocks. The shocks were re-valved to 600f, 900r and the springs I'm using are 616#f, 898#r. The rear of the car has the RSS Upper Control Arms, RSS LCA (as shown), and a Tarett Engineering Toe Arms.

In my opinion, and something I would highly recommend to every single gt3 owner who tracks the car, is to get the shocks re-valved by Bilstein in California and then run more appropriate for the track spring rates (something in the 600-1000# range f/r). This is the big 80% improvement in the car. The other 20% comes from removing the rubber from the rear suspension so that the car stops wiggling around during trackout - this is what inspires so much confidence - the car takes a set and then the tires can do their work. At Mosport, I'm 2 seconds faster with this new setup (at a DE pace) running PSS tires than I was running with the suspension stock and running the OE MPSC+ tires.

Would everything I've done allow a real pro to go 2 seconds faster? - probably not - because they are so aggressive on the throttle and force the car, even when it is wiggling with the OE setup, to set and they just make the car work. Since the day I got the car 4 years ago, the 911 rear wiggle has been the one thing that has prevented me from being 100% comfortable with the car - that is now 100% history - the car is now so easy to drive, it is not dancing around during trackout - it is utterly and completely confidence inspiring.

Paul
Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Paul,

I am sure you answered on another post but how does the car drive on the street? Is it compliant and can it be tolerated on the street?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,619 Likes on 2,350 Posts

damn it sucks that the ducts dont fit the RSS component like OEM, did you consider using the OEM LCA from the RS instead?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by skxf430
Paul,

I am sure you answered on another post but how does the car drive on the street? Is it compliant and can it be tolerated on the street?

Thanks,

Peter
For someone that already owns a GT3 the answer is it is 100% streetable - actually surprisingly so. For someone that drives an SUV - no way. I enjoy daily driving my Q7 TDi, with usable Bluetooth, paying less for Diesel, the comfy ride that can still take off ramps at 2x the posted limit (not that I would do this). To me, I have turned my GT3 into effectively what I think a GT3/RS is in spirit - track focused suspension, with proper LSD, 4.0 R&P and improved sound (Sharkwerks).

If you want to talk to someone else who has driven my car, it is maintained by the shop Gtek in Toronto (ph#416.755.7884 - owner is Jack). Jack is an ex-racer and his shop does work on street cars but basically he preps Porsches for trackdays at Mosport. Jack was very pleasantly surprised that the car remains as compliant as it is with the higher spring rates and the re-valve.

I was at Mosport this am for half a day. I dropped the car off at Gtek when I returned. I lent the keys to an owner of a 944S4 who has about 20 trackdays experience in his car - he went for a 5 minute drive around the shop - when he returned, he was absolutely stunned and blown away by the car - he is now looking to buy a used 996/997 gt3 - I also credit the PSS tires for making the daily driving better.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
damn it sucks that the ducts dont fit the RSS component like OEM, did you consider using the OEM LCA from the RS instead?
For me, since the RSS LCA comes pre-installed with the mono *****, solid caster pucks and come with a full set of camber shims, the RSS product was a better choice for what I wanted. The RS parts are just 2 piece arms for adjusting camber via shims.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
For me, since the RSS LCA comes pre-installed with the mono *****, solid caster pucks and come with a full set of camber shims, the RSS product was a better choice for what I wanted. The RS parts are just 2 piece arms for adjusting camber via shims.
Maybe RS OEM + Tarret mono ***** and pucks would be an alternative:

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...996-detail.htm

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...a01-detail.htm

just a thought...
Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Maybe RS OEM + Tarret mono ***** and pucks would be an alternative:

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...996-detail.htm

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...a01-detail.htm

just a thought...
I looked at it - I bought in bulk from Alex and got a good deal - so it was a push.

It was a sort of impromptu thing that quickly escalated when I started my re-valve and was replacing my Pressure Plate so I was on the phone with Alex at Sharwerks who was sourcing other parts for me and we just made the list grow.

As you know, Ira at Tarett developed the new upper rear spring hat for me so I was also on the phone at the time with him- but had already ordered stuff from Alex.

Ira and Alex are both great people to deal with and I would highly recommend both to everyone.

<------- if you look at my picture poster, you can see that Ira supplied the strut top Monoball and upper hat and Alex supplied the RSS stuff.

Paul
Old 10-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I looked at it - I bought in bulk from Alex and got a good deal - so it was a push.

It was a sort of impromptu thing that quickly escalated when I started my re-valve and was replacing my Pressure Plate so I was on the phone with Alex at Sharwerks who was sourcing other parts for me and we just made the list grow.

As you know, Ira at Tarett developed the new upper rear spring hat for me so I was also on the phone at the time with him- but had already ordered stuff from Alex.

Ira and Alex are both great people to deal with and I would highly recommend both to everyone.

Paul
+1, I have dealt with both also, and give them highest marks for all aspects of good business practice and customer service...

I'm teetering on the brink of a set of bremo III's from Alex...

and I keep thinking about a rebuilt LSD + LWFW also ...
Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey Paul, my bad on this one See I should have put two and two together doh! You're listed as an MK1 in our system and I know when you got them and were telling me about adding those brake cooling ducts for the newer model we talked about fitment. Low and behold what I should have done/known was that the RSS part 363 that they make takes care of this in your case. It's part of the standard kit for the MK2 cars which come with those brake ducts. I'm sending you some although as always you guys are like the A-team when it comes to figuring stuff out

James bonked me on the head too and said, "Don't you remember the 2011 GT3RS from last week...". So for those of you with MK1 GT3s that are upgrading and using the newer style MK2 ducts have no fear. It's all good and taken care of by the RSS folks (see attached pix)
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

SWEET!

what sort of weapon did James use?

will you be posting a youtube video of the incident?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

SWEET!

what sort of weapon did James use?

will you be posting a youtube video of the incident?
The only video I have is...

You can probably guess James was using the biggest tool he has. Probably the spanner for tightening the crank pulley. He actually lets me touch that with my hands as well as my head
Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

help is on its way...

Quick Reply: RSS 2pc LCA + rear duct picture