Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

A/C not blowing cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts
Default A/C not blowing cold

Saturday I took the car out for a nice weekend drive to the coast and I noticed that the airco wasn't working anymore.
No problem "I thought", maybe the freon was empty.
Made an appointment with my dealer this morning for a simple re-fill but just had a call that the condensors are dead??
Apparently this is a common issue with GTXXX cars because of the big holes in the front bumper.

Is this so common??
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope not, my previous car (993) spent 2/3 weeks every single year to sort out the A/C, I was hoping this was history with the water cooled cars!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Apparently a lot of debris flies at high velocity in the front nose so a small rock can puncture the radiators.
I already ordered a front screen kit to protect everything but didn't had the time to install it.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

My 996 gt3 had that problem. No idea what caused it but dealer fixed it under warranty.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Thermal Metals
1st Gear

If the system was empty, then it's typically a leak in the condenser from a rock or something. If the system is full and doens't blow cold, you can have someone run water over the condenser with a garden hose and if it gets colder, then you know it's a condenser issue. If too many fins are bent over and not letting airflow through them, you can sometimes get a radiator/condenser comb and straighten them out. Just did this recently on another car and after one guy said it was the compressor (due to pressures being off), I replaced it and found it made no difference...it was the condenser. Live & learn!

Quick Reply: A/C not blowing cold