Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Headlight Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight Weight Reduction

In a mission to drop all possible weight (sans interior carpet) from my 997.1 GT3 RS, I've addressed all the obvious (and not so obvious) opportunities except headlights. Don't ask me why I'm doing this.

I rarely/never use the car at night and would like to drop the 13-14 lbs. of the litronic (xenon) headlight washers/levelers. Has anyone downgraded to halogens while pulling the headlight reservoir? If so, any issues? Is there any reason why the reservoirs can't be pulled and the litronics retained (other than government regs.)? Can 13+ lbs. be saved in both scenarios?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can be wrong but I read somewhere that the only weight difference between xenon and halogen on a gt3 is the headlight cleaner fluid reservoir.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I can be wrong but I read somewhere that the only weight difference between xenon and halogen on a gt3 is the headlight cleaner fluid reservoir.
correct, plus the thick heavy rubber hoses running to the front of the car and the bulky sprayers (2 of them).

The standard halogen headlight compared to the HID headlight are about the same weight, weight saving: 0.5 lbs that's it.

Just run an empty reservoir and save 11 lbs.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my reservoir. Not such a big job, just takes time. I will check the weight of the empty reservoir tomorrow, but as I recall it was about 2-3 lbs or so. Like NJ-GT says the weight is in the fluid and yes that could easily be 11 lbs or more.

PS- Don't forget, that is your windshield wash fluid as well. You could find yourself with a big problem street driving and no washer fluid if you hit a mud puddle.

PPS- Don't forget with an empty or pulled reservoir you will have a continous low washer fluid warning in the center display. I tried to turn it off with my Durametric but couldn't make it happen.

13-15 lbs off the left front is a lot to me, I was happy to see it go (on my trailered track car).
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Savy,

Please, put your 4.0RS on the scales with a full tank of fuel.

What mods are in your 3.8RS, it seems that it is lighter than stock.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Don't forget to deduct weight of rollbar and belts in 3.8....

Quick Reply: Headlight Weight Reduction