Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts
Default Rohrl 991 article

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...-Walter-Rohrl/

Porsche 911 Carrera S (2012) first ride with Walter Rohrl
By Tim Pollard

Reviews

22 September 2011 10:41

There's a special treat for Porschephiles in the new October 2011 issue of CAR Magazine: we've nabbed the first ride in the new 991-spec Porsche 911 - alongside rally ace Walter Rohrl.

The new 911 is one of the highlights of 2012, and our European correspondent Georg Kacher spent two days riding shotgun with Rohrl around Alpine passes in the new 911 Carrera S.

Don't miss the eight-page feature in the October 2011 issue of CAR Magazine, on sale today. Click here for a free digital preview.

Riding in the new 991-spec Porsche 911 with Walter Rohrl
Kacher had to brace himself for some rapid cross-country driving, as the 64-year-old Audi and Porsche veteran proved his preferred seating position is right foot pinned to the floor. Although we take Rohrl's judgments with a pinch of Porsche-paid-for salt, his views on the 991 proved enlightening.

'It turns in like a swoosh,' Rohrl says as he tucks into his next Alpine switchback. 'And it sticks - no more understeer. Incredible. All that tugging and pulling is gone. This 911 no longer fights its driver. Instead, it follows the line like a ruler, and is so well balanced you would never believe the engine sits aft of the rear axle.'

What else can you tell about the new 911 Carrera S?
Our lime green 991 was the more powerful Carrera S. Its 3.8-litre flat six musters 400bhp (up from 385bhp) and 325lb ft. It's damn quick, and feels faster than the raw figures suggest (0-62mph is claimed in 4.3sec, top whack is 189mph).

But the new Porsche 991 is important for reasons other than tuned engines. This is an all-new product, not a mere reheat of the 996 like the 997 was. The wheelbase is 100mm longer, yet the overall length is only 56mm longer on account of the short overhangs. A mix of materials - half the body panels are aluminium - trims weight by 30-45kg, compared to the outgoing 997. It's a pretty serious bit of kit, and looks noticeably different despite its legacy design hang-ups.

Rohrl admits the new electro-mechancial power steering caused problems in development. 'Early on, we had problems on low-friction surfaces,' he tells CAR Magazine during our exclusive first ride. 'The phenomenon was called snap-over, and it only showed at the limit whern ultra-fast corrections were required. But engineering quickly fixed it.

'Although the new steering may face the odd acceptance problem among purists, it is in my view superior to a conventional rack because it can support the driver in critical situations, for example, by enhancing the self-centering motion or the directional stability on split-friction surfaces.'

And Kacher's verdict on the 991 from the passenger seat?
Kacher was confined to the passenger seat in this test with Rohrl. But he has now spent a lot of time in the 991, during both development drives in South Africa and now in Europe. He reports that the cabin is roomier and more comfortable, the build quality first rate and the ride pretty sorted considering the Carrera S runs on 20s.

What impressed Kacher most was the new 911's near total absence of understeer. Rohrl struggled to provoke the Carrera S into oversteer too - the engineers admit that sideways mode is no longer part of the car's character.

We'll know for sure when we drive the 991 later in 2011.

>> Don't miss the eight page story with Walter Rohrl in the new October issue of CAR Magazine
Old 09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

"..is so well balanced you would never believe the engine sits aft of the rear axle.."

"it can support the driver in critical situations, for example, by enhancing the self-centering motion or the directional stability on split-friction surfaces"

"He reports that the cabin is roomier and more comfortable"

"and the ride pretty sorted considering the Carrera S runs on 20s."

"Rohrl struggled to provoke the Carrera S into oversteer too - the engineers admit that sideways mode is no longer part of the car's character"

Thanks for ruining my evening.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

they turned 911 into GT car despite of what they going to call it.
it is very good for sales as those who want to pretend to be race drivers on a street will not have to be able to drive 911 car to enjoy 991.

now we have to wait what is it they want to make out of GTx cars including cup cars. i do not think they will put electric steering into race car but who knows.

i have a gut feeling GTS and 997.2 GT3 cars will hold their value very well for some years to come.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

now we have to wait what is it they want to make out of GTx cars including cup cars. i do not think they will put electric steering into race car but who knows.

The electric steering is not a problem by itself, they could use their experience with electric pumps from the current Cup cars and give something that feels right. And this also saves weight from the right place.
The problem is that this was obviously done for other reasons and from the phrases above we can see that it has a whole new agenda behind it.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The more I read about the 991 the more I like it.

Here is some revealing info (Motor Trend) about the new e-Diff

Adding to Porsche's alphabet soup will be a yet-unnamed electronically variable limited slip differential offered on PDK-equipped cars. The LSD uses the hydraulic pump in the PDK to change the lock-up ratio to suit driving conditions. Cars equipped with the seven-speed manual will still have to make do with a standard mechanical limited slip differential.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1ZBb09Yuf

This is one of the features I like the most in the Fiat, and now the 911 is going to have it: e-Diff. 7:40 around the NRing on street tires, I wonder what a good set of sticky MPSC can do, easily puts this car between the 997.2 GT3 RS and 997.2 GT3 performance wise.

I like shifting paddles, I like e-diff, I like better weight distribution, I like lighter weight and sunroof delete. But the thing I like the most is to be able to chase GT3s all day long, and the commute back home with no need for a trailer.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Sounds like fun... (sarcasm)

Though the new S is a well performer, I still don't like it. Like the 458, hate the looks but got my respect in terms of performance.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the new 991 and look forward to checking out the innovations. For the most part, I respect the opinion of those who want less change or none at all, but in all honesty, I can laugh at it too kinda like a stand up comic plying his trade on stage. Many could argue that the 911 became a "GT car" a long time ago. Electric steering is here to stay and there have been successful applications of it.

Thanks for the link.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
"..is so well balanced you would never believe the engine sits aft of the rear axle.."

"it can support the driver in critical situations, for example, by enhancing the self-centering motion or the directional stability on split-friction surfaces"

"He reports that the cabin is roomier and more comfortable"

"and the ride pretty sorted considering the Carrera S runs on 20s."

"Rohrl struggled to provoke the Carrera S into oversteer too - the engineers admit that sideways mode is no longer part of the car's character"

Mine too Or afternoon at least...
Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

"reheat"

my morning is ruined, along with my stomach from last night's brazilian all-you-can-eat-meatfest. they don't serve any salad in those places!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I like shifting paddles, I like e-diff, I like better weight distribution, I like lighter weight and sunroof delete. But the thing I like the most is to be able to chase GT3s all day long, and the commute back home with no need for a trailer.
+1 But I'm still looking forward to the 991 GT3.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
7:40 around the NRing on street tires, I wonder what a good set of sticky MPSC can do, easily puts this car between the 997.2 GT3 RS and 997.2 GT3 performance wise.

Hmmm.....

Interesting how when the 997.2 GT3RS I though, "how could they possibly make a more desireable performance car?" Now the 991 comes out and already shows significant signs of improvement with just an S model. I wonder what the GTXXX versions will all have?!?

Well, since my pocket isn't overflowing with coins and I don't plan on upgrading my car I guess I will just head to the track next week and continue to improve myself as a driver with anticipation of watching my mirrors more in the future.

I look forward to seeing you 991 Guys at the track! Let's go burn up some fuel and tires!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

If it's true.....

Epic fail by Porsche.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

why is this an epic fail? I can't wait to see rhe RSR version and cup versions of the 991...The BMW, Vette and Ferrari teams are not going to be easier to race...they are going to be even faster than they were this year...the 997 was good but we need a new base for the race cars...
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

fail by being too sanitised.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:11 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

911SLOW says it all - those who get what an 11 is have a problem.

Quick Reply: Rohrl 991 article