Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wifey Got Me Race Keeper...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
Mike. Deputy dog I believe just put one in and loves to do free installs. Give him a shout

Mike
He can install my Racekeeper and I can wash his car.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Work horse, not a show pony. Washing is for the cars and coffee crowd

I just unpacked mine this morning. Mike, you have all the same parts as I do, as long as Lisa checked the right boxes. I believe she followed my receipt verbatim.

Yes, your cameras are high res. One is wide angle (cockpit view) and the other is narrow (front view).

The bracket is if you want to bolt it to the floor. I don't want to put velcro on my unit itself, so I'm going to to mount it to the bracket, and put velcro all over the bottom of the bottom of that.

I haven't decided where it's going to live. There's a lot of space under the passenger seat. Manpurse did a great job putting his stuff there.

Not sure about the glovebox... I like having to use, well, as a glovebox. Owners manual etc. Not to mention TM was emphatic about having the sensors as low and central as possible for accurate readings. I'm far from Mario Andretti and I'm sure it wouldn't make that much of a difference having it in the GB, but I think I'm going the under seat passenger mount.

Front camera behind rear view with cabling running through channel around top and side of windshield.

Rear cam will be on right side somewhere in the back back facing forward.

You don't need a new computer for this. Your mac comes with boot camp. Backup your HD, activate boot camp (you will need a copy of windows), and partition your drive. Voila, two computers in one. I have a mac air. Works great. I have manpurse's setup that way as well. Now you don't have to tote to computers. You can get a copy of windows (installer edition) for like $100 at comp usa.

Manpurse and I are discussing tackling mine this weekend? If you're around, you could come by and we could do both at the same time.

I'm still trying to figure out the tach cable. It has two leads. I already have the lead coming off my ECU for the TM tach connection. This is puzzling me a bit.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Yes, your cameras are high res. One is wide angle (cockpit view) and the other is narrow (front view).
To clarify: high res = 550 lines and is not HD. Quality is decent though.

Not sure about the glovebox... I like having to use, well, as a glovebox. Owners manual etc. Not to mention TM was emphatic about having the sensors as low and central as possible for accurate readings. I'm far from Mario Andretti and I'm sure it wouldn't make that much of a difference having it in the GB, but I think I'm going the under seat passenger mount.
I'm curious about that too. As Badblkevo mentioned, there is a way to "zero" the accelerometer, but I don't know that it can compensate for a tilted RK box. A shifting box under hard cornering (unmounted and loose in a glove box) would be inaccurate for sure. The unit should be mounted exactly inline with the car too (not rotated relative to the car in any angle except multiples of 90 degrees since that's all the software can compensate for). Not sure how much the lat-g values would be off when mounted on one side of the car vs dead center. As you said, you might need to be Mario to have it matter. I was probably looking for a reason to strip some carpet. lol!

I'm still trying to figure out the tach cable. It has two leads. I already have the lead coming off my ECU for the TM tach connection. This is puzzling me a bit.
I'm using the OBD-II cable for the tach and it lags a bit. Please post what you find out about this cable when you get it working. I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

You can run Parallels easily enough on your Mac and save yourself the aggravation of rebooting all the time.. Never liked BootCamp. I've Parallels for years, first with Traqmate and now with the Race-Keeper software. There are otherVM products including an open source one. But honestly Parallels does work the best for me.

One little quirk with the Race-Keeper. You need to POWER UP the unit to install licenses and configuration files. Not just see the LED's that it HAS power. The Race-Keeper configuration file sets how you want the multiple camera's PIP etc set and how or if you want it to automatically power up and automatically start and stop recording given certain speed and time thresholds.

You can buy a software addon for $50 to give dual stream recording and which also enables higher def recording. I spoke to them a week or two ago.. There is also (free) a firmware patch for the box which they recommend as it fixes a power draw issue.

I don't trust Windows. I have parallels configured to NOT have internet connectivity through the shared WIFI connection on my Mac. If I need ethernet connectivity in my VM, I plug in an ethernet cable. I mention this because I wake up my windows VM all the time, but very rarely give my windows VM connectivity and Race-Keeper comes up with some sort of software update to their Comparo software every few weeks. When I first installed the RK software, I happened to have the Ethernet cable on and I was constantly being told there was an update. You don't have to take them every time.

Also - a tip - Parallels can point at your Mac storage as a share drive. Don't load the RK data and video into the windows partition (this will bloat the partition even if you later delete some files). Load it into a directory on the Mac partition which parallels can see as a shared volume or drive. You can tell the RK software how to find it through the "My computer" tree. That lets you manage my data, content etc. Backup and delete etc without dealing with varying sizes of windows VM's.

At some point in the distant future, there will be a Mac version of the Comparo software.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Dan you lost me a little bit...I'm not even close to being a computer guy. What is VM?

I think I'd rather hire someone to install Windows and do whatever needs to be done to make Racekeeper work. Problem is I don't really know anyone like this. This is all extremely frustrating to me. I use a Mac because it works all the time and is simple and I don't have to know a bunch of jargon.....ok really I'm totally lost.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dan you lost me a little bit...I'm not even close to being a computer guy. What is VM?

I think I'd rather hire someone to install Windows and do whatever needs to be done to make Racekeeper work. Problem is I don't really know anyone like this. This is all extremely frustrating to me. I use a Mac because it works all the time and is simple and I don't have to know a bunch of jargon.....ok really I'm totally lost.
What do you mean you don't know anyone? I just got done telling you that I did it for myself and Nick

Just use bootcamp. Parallels is for people that need to go in and out of both platforms all the time. Plus Boot Camp is free and we know you're cheap like me

If you're only going to use windows for RK, and nothing else, bootcamp will do the trick. I use a Mac Air so my boot time is about 5 seconds. You're probably using a MB Pro being the music nerd that you are. All you do is power down, hold down the option key, it will prompt you for mac or windows. Click on windows and it boots into windows mode. I have mine set to default to mac mode on boot, as that is where I spend 99 percent of my time. However, when we are out at the track, I just leave it in windows all weekend importing TM data etc.. It's super easy. I'll do it for you. All you need is an external drive to back up your data and copy of windows.

If you want to go the parallels route, I an do that for you too. I personally didn't do that because there's only two pieces of software that I use that are windows only, and even then they are used very infrequently.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Dog, well thanks....so when you coming over now that you live close by? I'll go pick up Windows on Saturday.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

OK...so I just bought Windows 7. I'm going to use Boot Camp that is already on my Mac Book Pro to run Windows 7. How much should I partition the drive for to run Windows 7 and use Racekeeper? 80/20????
Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Ok..my wife got me Race Keeper for my Birthday. Sweet huh?...yep she is seriously awesome!

However, I'm not sure how to use Race Keeper and hook it up in my car.
She got me 2 camera's...both square but they look a little different...not even sure if they are HD or not? Some kind of metal mounting bracket thing....how the heck do you mount Race Keeper in the car?.... The camera are a sticky mount, do I leave them in the car all the time?...not sure what to do with all the camera wires when driving on the street????? This is a weekly street use car and track car so I don;t want it hanging out in the open on the floor.

I'm a Mac user so Race Keeper will not work on my Mac. Either I need to install Windows on my Mac or get a cheap laptop...which is the easiest to do?HELP HELP HELP?
Install Parallels or VMWare Fusion and get a cheap copy of windows and dual boot it ...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

OK...so I just bought Windows 7. I'm going to use Boot Camp that is already on my Mac Book Pro to run Windows 7. How much should I partition the drive for to run Windows 7 and use Racekeeper? 80/20????
dont use bootcamp ... use parallels or VMware fusion, then you can run windows "beside" MacOS ... its a lot simpler than the bootcamp solution IMO especially for an "occasional" use like this, that way you dont have to create a windows partition ...

p.s
I think VMware still have a $59 special on fusion at the moment ...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Larry, Deputy Dog is just using Boot Camp and suggest I not waste my money of Paralles. I went by the Apple store and they suggested Paralleles too and not VMware Fusion4. Between Windows and Parallels I could just about by a Toshiba Laptop at Best Buy and have it just for Race Keeper and Durametric.

Man am I confused about what is the correct way to really do this.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry, Deputy Dog is just using Boot Camp and suggest I not waste my money of Paralles. I went by the Apple store and they suggested Paralleles too and not VMware Fusion4. Between Windows and Parallels I could just about by a Toshiba Laptop at Best Buy and have it just for Race Keeper and Durametric.

Man am I confused about what is the correct way to really do this.
well you could buy a separate PC, but if you want to use your mac you either have to have bootcamp or a VM solution like Parallels or Fusion 4 (which I run) the difference is that with BC you have to allocate a separate (boot) partition for windows and select which OS you wish to boot at startup, with a solution like parallels or fusion you can run Windows "inside" MacOS ... and you dont have to f*** around with partitioning the disk since the virtual machine "image" you create and boot into is just stored in the Mac filesystem...

its personal choice (mostly) ...
Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Larry, I don't know enough to make the decision on using either Boot Camp or buying Fusion4. I did find Fusion4 for $49.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

If you want to do it cheaply and you're only going into windows once in a while, just use boot camp. It's free and it works great. Like I said earlier, if you need to get in and out of windows programs a lot, then a 3rd party program would be more appropriate. I use a 50 50 split on my mac air in boot camp.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

If you want to do it cheaply and you're only going into windows once in a while, just use boot camp. It's free and it works great. Like I said earlier, if you need to get in and out of windows programs a lot, then a 3rd party program would be more appropriate. I use a 50 50 split on my mac air in boot camp.
That is all I'm gonna do. I'm just unsure about partioning my drive. I'm not sure I want to mess with that since my Mac Book Pro is my work computer.

Quick Reply: Wifey Got Me Race Keeper...HELP