Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I'm out! Goodbye GT3, Hello F430 (and 968 Firehawk)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

NJ-GT: Can I safely assume you have a gen 1 Cayman? I tracked the hell out of my gen 2 and the only problem I had was a dead fuel pump at around 5K. Common problem on the DFI cars.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:21 AM
huangover
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please list the cayman s problems. did you do any of the track reliabilty mods? ie. upgrade aos, deep sump etc.?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2007 Cayman S, just 2 track days with me, 4 track days with first owner. 2 1/2 years with the car. Bone stock everything except a front GT3 sway bar. The car won the 2010 SCCA Solo National Championship in AS and ASL.

- 6 different oil leaks
- engine replaced by Porsche under warranty at 20,000 miles
- 2nd clutch replaced by Porsche of Boardwalk
- blown HID driver's headlight
- Reverse light not working. Fixed under warranty. Failed again, fixed once more a few weeks ago.
- all sort of rattles in the cabin, annoying
- 3 power steering pumps replaced
- insane amount of inside rear wheel spin on turn exits
- notchy tranny, dealer refuses to repair
- blown horn
- 2 dead batteries, no one knows why it drains so much parasitic power, dealer says it is fine, my wallet thinks the opposite
- wheel hop as crazy and not stiff enough muffler mounts, design defect, deal with that
- 5 lost rear mud guards
- broken mount on windshield wiper reservoir
- brakes fade after 6 laps at Homestead, using Castrol SRF.
- A/C repaired

Car has not been in an accident. I'm deeply bored of it. It made money for me last year, but a car making money doesn't mean it is fun. I would rather have fun.

It is a nice car tough
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 AM
huangover
Track Day

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
2007 Cayman S, just 2 track days with me, 4 track days with first owner. 2 1/2 years with the car. Bone stock everything except a front GT3 sway bar. The car won the 2010 SCCA Solo National Championship in AS and ASL.

- 6 different oil leaks
- Reverse light not working. Fixed under warranty. Failed again, fixed once more a few weeks ago.
- blown horn
- 2 dead batteries, no one knows why it drains so much parasitic power, dealer says it is fine, my wallet thinks the opposite
- wheel hop as crazy and not stiff enough muffler mounts, design defect, deal with that
- 5 lost rear mud guards
- A/C repaired

Car has not been in an accident. I'm deeply bored of it. It made money for me last year, but a car making money doesn't mean it is fun. I would rather have fun.

It is a nice car tough
yes. some of these are very prominent in gen I cars. thought maybe you had something new for me. hahaha. sorry for hijack. back on topic. thanks.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

No, my friend cgomez saw the light too. He races a 2011 GT3 Cup (just finished 3rd at Laguna Seca starting from 16th). He went from M3, to 911S, to 997 GT2, to Scuderia.

Unfortunately, the price of admission was too high for this car for a while, but now you can get a Scuderia for $180k, and not long ago people were paying that kind of money for 2007 GT3 RS 3.6 a vastly inferior car.

If someone wants a Scuderia for $150k-$160k I have a lead on two of them, but only to serious buyers (no, I'm not selling mine, this car is too good).
Somewhat back on topic...

Rad, is there any difference in the 2008 vs. 2009 Scuderia? As for the prices, they are getting very tempting, but the 458 "Scuderia" is around the corner, and will cause another drop in Scuderia values.

I thought you removed the CCB's on the Scuderia, and replaced them with something else.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

- 6 different oil leaks
- blown horn
- 5 lost rear mud guards
- A/C repaired

It is a nice car tough
I had an 07 Cayman. I like the handling with the mid-engine configuration and the looks (better than the 911 shape IMHO). However for some reason, it didn't give me the feeling of reliability which my past Porsches have delivered. The first week I got it, the driver-side window regulator went out and the microswitch on the passenger side got sticky. This one was also just a street car and not taken to the track. I just got rid of the car.

Re: GT3, good to know of issues, but overall it seems to still fare better than others.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Somewhat back on topic...

Rad, is there any difference in the 2008 vs. 2009 Scuderia? As for the prices, they are getting very tempting, but the 458 "Scuderia" is around the corner, and will cause another drop in Scuderia values.

I thought you removed the CCB's on the Scuderia, and replaced them with something else.
458 Corsa is not around the corner, release date is late 2013, and it is going to be a $325k car before options anyway. This car might be pushed to 2014 due to the success of the Coupe and the delays on the Spider which is expected to be the most successful Ferrari (sales wise).

There are 250 2008 Scuderias in U.S. (confirmed), and an unknown number of 2009. Initially there were 99 U.S. Scuderia coming, but low sales on the 2009 F430 forced FNA to supply more Scuderias, the number is somewhere between 200-350 2009 Scuderias in U.S. based on rumors. I have a good database with VIN numbers.

2009 is 30 lbs lighter than 2008. Some 2008 came with the optional carbon package that makes it 30 lbs lighter (carbon front spoiler, carbon diffuser, carbon headlight housings).

Tempting is the price of the Cayman R in 6 months, brand new. Also tempting is the current price of 997.1 GT3. Not so tempting is the price of the marginally better 4.0RS.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

458 Corsa is not around the corner, release date is late 2013, and it is going to be a $325k car before options anyway. This car might be pushed to 2014 due to the success of the Coupe and the delays on the Spider which is expected to be the most successful Ferrari (sales wise).

There are 250 2008 Scuderias in U.S. (confirmed), and an unknown number of 2009. Initially there were 99 U.S. Scuderia coming, but low sales on the 2009 F430 forced FNA to supply more Scuderias, the number is somewhere between 200-350 2009 Scuderias in U.S. based on rumors. I have a good database with VIN numbers.

2009 is 30 lbs lighter than 2008. Some 2008 came with the optional carbon package that makes it 30 lbs lighter (carbon front spoiler, carbon diffuser, carbon headlight housings).

Tempting is the price of the Cayman R in 6 months, brand new. Also tempting is the current price of 997.1 GT3. Not so tempting is the price of the marginally better 4.0RS.
-Cayman R will have even more inside wheelspin unless you fit an after-market LSD.

-4.0RS is objectively only marginally better but subjectively it's mana from heaven for Porsche/Mezger fanboys...of which I'm one;-)
Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Cayman R has a factory LSD. Not a very good one, but it's in there.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

still waiting for some on-track data for cayman r.
hopefully they will include it this year's pcoty testing at local track with reknown hotshoe.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Correct. Cayman R has a LSD, Porsche at least acknowledged they were doing something wrong by selling the Cayman with an open diff.

The 4.0 RS doesn't have a good LSD either.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Laguna Seca lap times from Worlds Best Drivers Car Features:
1:43 Cayman S
1:41 Cayman R

Both driven by Randy Pobst, with LSD and PDK. Discuss.

Last edited by ChrisF; 09-22-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

same day?
tyres?
2 seconds is a substantial difference.
question is: how much abuse can the gen 2 take?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Not same day.

Tires I think are RE050 on both

Quite a bit. I pounded on mine and the only time it cried was in 100 degree heat at Streets of Willow. It started to over heat at the end of a 25 min session. No oiling issues, no power steering issues. Both fixed in the gen 2. I only ever changed pads and fluids and added GT3 brake ducts. Oh and a factory LSD

Last edited by ChrisF; 09-22-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: chg tire type
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Correct. Cayman R has a LSD, Porsche at least acknowledged they were doing something wrong by selling the Cayman with an open diff.

The 4.0 RS doesn't have a good LSD either.
Oops...my bad. I thought they didn't LSD any of the cars on that platform. What about the Boxster Spyder?

Quick Reply: I'm out! Goodbye GT3, Hello F430 (and 968 Firehawk)