Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HELP - Rear tires rubbing and noisy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 02:23 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP - Rear tires rubbing and noisy.

I had my new 11' GT3 RS out in a few DE's this summer and believe I am hearing both a rubbing noise and tire roar with the stock Michelin Cup tires...particularly under load in corners.

This is my first season with the car and using Sport Cup tires.

My alignment is not that aggressive - 1.6 camber in the front and rear and not lowered. The car has the RSS toe links and dog bones installed.

The tires are wearing evenly and I notice there is a lot of rubber peeling with ridges building up next to the circumferential grooves (center to the inside area of the tire) which I "believe" might be causing some of the "noise" as it remains in the straights.

I pulled off the rear wheels and can see the inside of the fender around 11 oclock has some evidence of rubbing. The outside corner (knuckle) of the tire also exhibits some chafing which lead me to look inside the fender.

I'm going to have the alignment checked this week, although this occurred on my first day of use with the new set up.

So I'm wondering if any RLer's have experienced such symptoms with their stock RS's, i.e. is this tire noise normal?

As well, what would be some recommendations to eliminate the rubbing?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an alignment issue with the links. Not sure why you put them on with such an unaggressive alignment. I would recommend going back to stock links and bones and see if you are still rubbing.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:08 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rubber buildup in th central area of your tires is due to overinflation. Try starting with a lower pressure. It builds up very quickly.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tire rubber buildup is normal - track tires always have crap on them - don't worry about it - scrap it off if and when you can.

I don't own an 11RS, but it sounds like your upper RSS arms were put on very slightly too long and thus causing the rubbing. It doesn't matter that you don't have an 'aggressive' alignment as for the rear wheels, adding more negative camber moves the lower edge of the wheel further out - it doesn't 'really' move the top where your rubbing is happening. Your shop clearly put on the upper RSS arms and then either used the eccentric or shims to set the rear camber (widening the track), but the length of the upper arms are very slightly too long.

Since you are taking your new RS to the track and it is not a garage queen, an easy solution is to do what 'many' track people would do - and that is 'work' the fender a little bit to make the problem go away - especially if it is very slight rubbing. Wood baseball bat, insert between wheel and fender, and then just very slowly lever the fender very slightly away from the wheel using the wood bat to lever and the tire as the fulcrum. If this scares you (don't let it) bring car back to shop that did the install and let them fix it and try to have them pay for it.

I have the RSS arms on my narrow body and have no issue - I also liberally use my wood bat whenever I have to.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Ermenasce
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 11 GT3 RS, the car is standard as it left the factory.
I have done quite a few DE, particularly at Lime Rock.
There is a rumbling coming from the tires, particularly on the corners, although there is no
rubbing at all.
But it is very annoying, since it seems that the car has an issue, which by the way it does not have.
I took it to the Porsche dealer New Country Porsche in Greenwich, CT, they tested the car, said
nothing wrong, and that is the way it is.
Still, I do not feel comfortable, as I take some of the corners.
I reduce the tire pressure for the track about 2 to 3 psi.

Quick Reply: HELP - Rear tires rubbing and noisy.