Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

can adjusting ride height be a sub for adjusting sways?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
TPC Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Spiff, sounds like you need to back off the front bar if you feel that it is "pushing"

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions at all and we will be more than happy to help you.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Holy crap dude.....you need a simple alignment. You can't run 600# front springs with -1.7 front camber and expect the car to turn once you've loaded it up mid corner....the stiffer you go, the more camber you need to a point.

You want your car to turn? Do the following first, then adjust from there, along with other settings like bars, etc.

Zero front toe
-2.5 to -3 front camber
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spiff, Your question is much better now and you are getting lots of good advice. You are resistant to softening the front sway bar because you want the car flat when it is loaded in a corner. That WAS correct before you put in the stiffer springs. The new springs will keep it flatter. You deffinatly need more negative camber in front. You can acomplish that many ways; GT#3 lower control arms, or rotate your top shock mount. (This works in a stock GT#3, I do not know for a C2) increase (cut) the 3 slotted holes so that you can tip the top of the shocks in towards the center of the car. Cup cars and fast drivers all run a little more negative camber in the front than the rear.
1.) Soften front sway bar cost $$$$ 000000 you should feel improvment

2.) increase front neg. camber to around -2.75 cost $$ 00 slot holes yourself
cost $ yes buy GT#3 control arms and install
cost $$ 00 Rotate your shock tops
cost $$ yes buy GT#3 shock tops and rotate
Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Spiffyjiff;8853130]nope, i take foot off the pedal, open the wheel (within track pavement limit, of course) when i start to push. i learned that lesson quickly in autocross a few years ago - i became quicker thru the turns by going "slower" than when i was an idiot, plowing off course at full speed!

Less gas pedal I understand to cure push. But open the wheel is the standard cure for loose, not push????
Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The other thought / suggestion I would offer is, as a driving experiment, assume for a moment that this setup is in fact the absolute fastest way to set up a car for a certain type of pro-driver, and your test is to figure out how to drive it faster than you are currently able to do it (if you read the comments on a stock gt3/RS on the Motor Trend site by Randy Pobst about how he likes the gt3 setup you will see he likes it how your car currently feels to you - not saying exactly how your car is but go read it)

You currently have a car that has a very stiff front end that is very stable but pushes on throttle - how do you drive this car faster experiment?

If you had such a car, and were sitting in the passenger seat with a real pro driving it at 10/10ths, you would likely be most amazed by how much speed they enter into a corner with and how far they would carry the brakes to or even past the apex on certain types of corners - this would likely be the biggest difference comparing your lap times to theirs - my guess is that on certain corners they would have 10+mph over your speed at certain corner entry points. This is one of the reasons why 'some' pros set up a car like this - they need the car to be extremely stable under braking while turning the car, under braking, to the apex - they don't won't the rear end snapping around but coming around slowly under control - they do a lot of the turning / rotating under braking - and then, they get on the gas extremely aggressively and also don't want the rear snapping on them.

It sounds like your car needs sway bar and front camber changes - just thought I would also highlight how certain pros like the feel of their setup to be. I have had a few rides over the years with some pros in cups and street gt3s and the biggest difference is always corner entry, the speed they carry in and the rotation, on certain types of corners, that they do with the brake pedal - it is a fast floating rotating feeling that you get - they do it perfectly, it is sorta hard to believe it is possible but when you experience it you start to believe it is possible and then you begin to realize that you have to have the car setup to do this.

Good luck with dialing in your car.

Quick Reply: can adjusting ride height be a sub for adjusting sways?