Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT: Rad needs this....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:33 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Any ideas where is my former 996 GT3? Please send me a PM.
Didn't it end up in Canada? ...and not properly repaired either
Old 09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Didn't it end up in Canada? ...and not properly repaired either
Really? Wonder if it's local to me? Colour, damage info, what do you mean by repaired?

My cousin, in Montreal, last year bought a crashed (no body damage, all tub and subframe) car from Arizona (?). Anyway, got a good deal, obviously, and then started to find clues to its previous life: Carpet cut for cage, Motons, gearing, etc. A heck of a car...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Yes, Rad needs it.

In case you don't know what they sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07_ZE...eature=related
Where was this? The paddock looked filled with rigs, but an empty track with 3 cars?

When you have $$$ to burn...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Really? Wonder if it's local to me? Colour, damage info, what do you mean by repaired?

My cousin, in Montreal, last year bought a crashed (no body damage, all tub and subframe) car from Arizona (?). Anyway, got a good deal, obviously, and then started to find clues to its previous life: Carpet cut for cage, Motons, gearing, etc. A heck of a car...
Sure sounds like Rad's /todd's old car. Seal grey , higher mileage

I thought at the time it first showed up on the market up there the seller was tryingnto cover up the tub damage instead of fixing it is what I was getting at.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

That was it. I crashed it. Sub frame, cracked engine case, tranny, etc. Both air bags deployed. Right front corner trashed. Once insurance company estimate to repair got over $50k they stopped looking at it and wrote me a check. Was a heck of a car but I hope your friend got a really good deal on it. I offered to buy it from the insurance company but they wanted way more than I thought it was worth.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:58 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Sure sounds like Rad's /todd's old car. Seal grey , higher mileage...
Yes!

Originally Posted by tlarocque
That was it. I crashed it. Sub frame, cracked engine case, tranny, etc. Both air bags deployed. Right front corner trashed. Once insurance company estimate to repair got over $50k they stopped looking at it and wrote me a check. Was a heck of a car but I hope your friend got a really good deal on it. I offered to buy it from the insurance company but they wanted way more than I thought it was worth.
Todd, can you tell me more? PM, e-mail, here, whatever.

- Who owned it when? What/when was the accident?

- Mods?

We're not sure about stuff like ECU, LSD etc. For instance, we were comparing notes at The Glen, and he was in 5th where I was in 4th, so we know he's got some gear work, but what? Is it a cup box, some gearing, or just the R & P??

- Damage?

More out of curiosity cause the whole thing was dismantled anyway. Not sure there was anything wrong with eng/tranny though

My cousin Marc G. lives in Montreal, and I'm in Toronto. We found each other this Spring after not having seen each other for 35 years, really.

Turns out we both have 996 GT3s, Trailex', and a lot of other stuff in common. Kind of spooky actually; must be in the genes.

Anyway, his friend imports cars from US and came across this one at auction. Offered it to Marc, who did some due diligence and bought it.

Stripped everything off the tub, put it on the alignment table and pulled it straight. Front right bottom and left rear? One wheel had to be replaced, but paint is still original Alignment is now perfect. I think that the whole project cost him $xxx (edit to protect the innocents ), including the car, but he put in LOTS of hours.

Car is in good hands. Marc is a good driver, and drives the heck out of it. Love's to "terrorize" the .2 RS'

Again, RL rocks
Attached Images   

Last edited by FFaust; 09-04-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 PM
cwhota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tod, i have your U2 cd now :-)

I did a complete rebuild of the car using a simple system: in doubt replace !!!

I can tell you audio19s that you are not right in your statement, well the part about the quality of the repair, the part about the car being in Canada is true

As stated by cousin any info on this car would be welcome

M

Last edited by cwhota; 09-04-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That has to be my car, the only Seal Grey 996 GT3 with Yellow calipers and Yellow Seat belts, and the Rennline tow hooks in an unusual but convenient location. Too bad it was wrecked, good that it is running again.

Most of the mods on the car were put by me, original owner, the next two did very little to it. Car had a 997 GT3 RS rollbar, then removed and got a full cage.

Ordered in November 2003, delivered in May 2004, sold in May 2008 (with regrets).

Lots of upgrades on that car:

1) rear rotors upsized to 350mm (Stock is 330mm)
2) all the suspension is on monoballs: dog bones from ERP Racing, LCA from the actual 996 GT3 RSR (split front/rear), rear upper strut mounts from TRG, front ones from Manthey Racing recommended by Jan Erren (they were $1500 pieces back then). 2005 GT3 RSR rear toe links. All bushing in metal except subframe, but sold the car with a bag of these metal bushings to get installed.
3) bone stock engine and ECU. Only mods on exhaust were done after the headers. I tested 6+ exhaust setups.
4) The transmission has a 2005 GT3 Cup LSD (it has 6 time the clamping force of the OEM unit), and a 2005 RSR 4.0:1 R&P all installed by Copans. It also has a 996 GT3 RS LWFW and a 993 3.8RS clutch kit.
5) Moton ClubSport with 450/750 springs and another pair of 1000# springs to run 750/1000
6) CCW wheels on 10/12 x 18 running 285/335 Hoosier
7) 996 GT3 Recaro race seats.
8) PCCB Calipers and PCCB rotors. I bough the PCCB rotors back from the 2nd owner to run them on my 997 GT3 RS
9) The car won the SCCA Solo National Championship in class FPL and 2nd place in FP in 2006. It also won multiple SCCA Solo National tours in class SM2 (now SSM)
10) At Pocono Racetrack North Course, I ran a time trial with a 56.703 lap that gave this car 1st place at the event on DOT tires. There were full blown race cars at the event. On this same setup, the car should run Lime Rock in the 56s, Watkins Glen in the low 2:00s and Sebring in 2:16s based on the Traqmate data I have from that car. There are some videos of that car in my sig link to Youtube, crappy videos.
11) No over-revs. This car ran bone stock a 12.2 secs 1/4 mile at Englishtown on a hot day. With the modifications it had, there is no way a 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 could keep up with it.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Rad, I knew it was special. Marc gave me a ride at Calabogie last month to show me the line, and within two turns, I was laughing my head off. That thing has solid acceleration.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

See that Rad chimed in. I still have a big file of stuff from the car. Can't believe he got it back up and running... fantastic!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

that make for two ex-Rad cars in Canada and still on the track in the hands of good owners!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

if that is seal gray, that's the car.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks mooty
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Thanks mooty
on iphone. i responded before seeing the pix of the car. duh.....
i drove that car at LS. it's fast. well set up by rad.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

My 997 GT3 went to Montreal, it ended up in a wall at Mosport.

What's up with you Canadians he? We sent you good quality stuff!

Quick Reply: OT: Rad needs this....